Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 287 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am sitting here writting this, Ted's final song is ending on the Outdoor Channel....Very disappointing.:(
He just killed a nice axis buck from a blind. Awesome right.
Well, when he was starting to track the deer after a great shot, he stopped to talk to the camera (along with the two observers he had with him), as he was talking you could see a couple of deer about 20 yrds. behind him walking through the trees. He turned around and saw this, turned to the camera and said something like "We could do some stalking here as well". Well, you probably could since they looked tame enough to feed out of your hand!:mad:
Then when he got to the deer, he was talking to the camera again, and more deer went behind him about 50-75yrds.
I can understand, that hunting exotics here in the U.S. your going to be hunting fenced animals. I am right about this ain't I? But to tell you the truth, I would have rather seen him shoot a big old doe in a fair chase situation than shoot what probably was some kids pet that he raised for Ted to pay to shoot.
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not stupid, I know a lot of what you see on TV is in fenced areas, but I don't want to see them wondering around looking at you when go to get it with the camera!
Sorry guys, just had to vent...
Micah

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I can't say that I'd want to hunt the way some of these so called "professionals"do.

But Ted has done more for archery than any other TV hunters have,he's been on different shows promoting hunting and actually had some anti's thinking(if you can beleive that).

Ted's got my respect as long as he does what he does for hunters.....:)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Mich I see your point but tree jumper is right-Ted rules.His kids camp for city boys and girls is what is saving the next genarations of hunting. And as far as a fence in area just because there behind a fence dont mean there tamed.You still have to hunt them. I did not see the show so I dont know what farm they were on and maybe that one has tamed them but not all are like that. some of his videos are fair chase.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Micah........I can feel your pain, too. It's not my personal preference of a hunting situation either. But I'm also with Freak & Jumper. The man is our (as archers, hunters, shooters) most viable, visible, and vocal spokesperson.

His show is just like a lot of others I watch. I will turn the channel if what's going on is not interesting to me. But I always check again next week. You gotta admit.........Uncle Ted is the undisputed Madman of shot-placement. I like watching just to see where his arrows go. :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Pretty sad ant it.I never thought ted would stoop so low.These can hunts make all true hunters look bad...Dont you just love those adds.[NO KILL NO PAY] I for one hate to see Ted undoing all the good hes do....

·
Registered
441 Posts
TreeJumper and speed-freak are right.The good Ted does for the sport,his anti-drug-alcahol-tobacco programs and his camp for kids far outweigh a bad choice in programming.Don't lose respect for Ted.I don't care for that type hunting for myself.It may have been bad judgement to air what he did but we all make mistakes. Contact him and let him know how you feel about those type hunts,but don't lose respect for him!I only half-way saw the show myself.The exotic hunting doesn't appeal to me (just a personal thing) so I wasn't paying full attention to what was going on.But Ted still deserves my respect.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't get me wrong guys, I guess I should have explained myself a little better...:(
I still do, and always will have respect for the things that Ted does OUTSIDE of his hunting videos. And some of the things he does inside his videos. It was just this situation I have a problem with. I know everyone has there own opinion, and everyone has that right too...I respect that. I would just rather see fair chase videos from him(I've seen him do them before). It's just when I see the deer roaming around behind them like cattle, it dissapoints me:( . Heck, the two women that he had with him during the hunt wasn't even wearing camo! I think one of them had a camo shirt and tan pants, and the other one was wearing an off white outfit. All be it, they were hunting from a blind that they were all in, but at least they could dress like they was actually HUNTING:( JMO.
For the most part, Ted does ROCK!
Just a BAD show....
Micah:cool:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
You mean you can't hunt if you're not wearing camo? Is that the offical view?

I've killed a lot more game wearing faded levis and khaki shirts or Carhartt jackets, than I have since the wife and kids started buying all that leafy looking stuff for me to wear.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Ted has done a world of good for bowhunters across America. He passionately loves is and respects it. The situation may have been poor judgement on his part as to what the audience would see. His reach for children to get hooked on hunting has been a great contribution to both the sport and society. He has taught many to respect the game one hunts and brought new experiences to many that probably wouldn't have with him. I'll back him, even if the poor judgement surface the fact he is human.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Rush a.k.a. D.T.,

Ditto. I won't have to pucker up. Ted is the man.

·
Banned
3,296 Posts
Mr. Nugent's response:
what they saw was a unique condition, natural at the YO Rnch, not tame by any means but a situation on a working rnch where for some starnge reason, the deer arent spooky within 50-60 yds. 44,000 acres is hardly a gimme bowhuntin. I apologize for nuthin!! its the YO. how its always been. be sure to tell the ignorant so. weve gotten gazzillions of positiv feedback on that particular show, especially my DARE presentation & the education & respect I convey. go figure!! even TX Guv Perry chimed in how much his family loved that show!! ONWARD!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DT..Sorry if you took some kind of personal offense..didn't know Ted saved your family from a burning building or something..:( .
All I was trying to do is express my feelings about a particular show and you have to fly off the handle, and it sounds like your ready to fight about it?!? It was just my opinion, not like I'm giong to change the whole world over it...:mad:
And if you can't deal with someone bieng able to think for themselves you pucker up and kiss MY ***.
It is good of you to get a response from Ted though, really kinda backs up my thought about them bieng virtually tame "the deer arent spooky within 50-60 yrds." Yea, I guess they will stop at 50 yrds. and say to themselves " Oh No! I better stop right here, I'm supposed to look like a wild animal...". Whatever....:rolleyes:
But again...This is JMO.
No Hard Feelings DT, As long as it's legal, I really don't have a problem with it, I would just rather not see it on TV. IMO it partrays us as killers, not hunters...JMO
Thanks for your responses guys, even though it looks like I'm in the minority on this "I" can respect others opinions.:)
Later Days....
Micah:cool:

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
well Ted's Ted
like him or not he does do alot of good, sometimes the way he expresses him self is a tad extreme, lol wich i think he has toned down some.
Teds TV show is decent i watch it once in a while, pretty much 100% of the hunting footage he shows on the tv show is hunts filmed on fenced in inclosure pay to hunt ranches,wich im not overly crazy about, but i guess thats the way to make easy TV
Ken

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Ted Nugent is a great rep. for bowhunting,I didn't see the show so can't say much about it.I would like to see all bowhunters give it go in the high country where there are no fences and the animals are Wild.I have seen alot of hunting videos that are pathetic,hunting enclosed animals that are human fed and are not even afraid of humans is a disgrace.Alot of these guys that have tons of trophies go to game farms and pay for a buck and then have them mounted and act like they went on some intense Hunt.My respect goes to hunters that work at getting their game and have conditions to face that are not controlled !

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I agree with nwm..It really gets me to hear these shooters talk about hard hard they had to hunt for a big whitetail. Heard the realtree guy say it yesterday.."people think we got it easy..they just don't know how hard we have to work for these deer"..what a joke..heard Boggs the x baseball player crying about how hard he had to work for a big whitetail on another video...they call sittting in a treehouse for two or there hunts and not seeing a B&C untill the third day hard work and hard hunting.
On the buckmaster's show yesterday the owner of Triton or whatever you call them boats takes his little pre-teenage daughter out to shoot a Tenn. buck from a treehouse..the buck would have scored in the 160's I think he said...That's how easy big trophy size bucks are to come by with the cash or influence..was not the biggest or highest scoring one she had killed.. he said she got a better one in Texas..13pt or so.
I image all the shooters on tv and video now "use" to be good hunters back when they hunted and give them credit for making a good paying job out of what they love to do.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Easy guys...this is not a high fence thread...Micah was just talking about his disgust,,,,he said he respected everyones opinion and I respect that alone .....if nothing else....I respect his opinion and him not wanting to see it on tv........but Ted is gonna show it so just turn the channel....that way noone is offended!

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Thanks Hoyt,I appreciate someone else standing up for real hunting.The animals I have havested have all come from hard work.In the real world of hunting a booner may never come in a lifetime of hunting.Thats why it makes me so ticked off when People pay for one,and act like they are really incredible at hunting! take care, Chris

·
Registered
268 Posts
I believe Ted is a great advocate for archery and hunting in general. I like his show. I respect him for his strong and vocal stand for what he believes in.

With that said. I believe that the only reason he has had such and impact is becuase of his public position. I think that ever man or woman the picks up a bow, buys a hunting license, and harvests an animal is contributing just as much as Ted Nugent. The voice of a leader is only as good as the people that create the group being lead. WE MAKE HUNTING POSSIBLE.

1 - 20 of 287 Posts