Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
246 Posts
I just found this thread and fealt like posting my 2 cents. It must be nice to pay to walk to a tree stand that some one else put up near a timed game feeder so that when it goes off you just wait and pick the buck you want. Personally I usually am wading through high itchy weeds in the middle of summer hanging from a tree putting treestands up on my cousins farmland sweating like a dog just so I can use that treestand that fall and harvest a large iowa doe or 6-8 point. My adrenalin still pumps so hard over a doe as it does a large buck. Blood,sweat,bee stings, sunburn, and blisters are what usually happens when I put up tree stands for that falls hunting. I have a friend who owns the local gun shop and he has been on a few of them texas fenced in hunts. He is the one that told me come 6 o clock the feeders go off and the deer come running and u just take your pick. So I cannot speak from experience there but a reputable source told me. Of course maybe the ranch he went to was a "bad" ranch. I don't even know why he went as the bucks are much larger up here anyways lol:) But I stopped subscribing to buckmasters years ago because I felt that the magazine was contributing more to hollywood hunts and corporate style hunting than the blue collar small town hunter that I am. That doesn't make you a bad person if you are rich and u hunt I just think you tend to lose your roots. But I do agree with one comment. When it comes to getting food alls fair in love and war lol. Cory

· Registered
246 Posts
Texas sounds like a nice guy and I don't think its right either to bash other styles of hunting. And I too am blessed(so far) with plenty of good farmland to hunt that either my cousin owns or others. You see I live in rural sw iowa and own a business(mechanics shop) in this town so I work on alot of farmers vehicles so they know me well plus they know my cousin and his dad who are nearing a century farm. So the last name opens alot of doors for me. I also understand that in alot of parts of the country land is being bought up by corporations and wealthy people. More and more farmland in this area is being posted every year with signs that say leased for hunting. Thankfully my cousin is an avid hunter(hes in wyoming or montana right now elk hunting) and his farm operation is succesful so I don't think he will start leasing all his land out to others or else as he told me where would he hunt. But it makes me nervous. And I will say this, as long as there is a decreasing lack of areas for the common man to hunt then guys like texas will be a godsend to people who want to hunt but have nowhere to go. However, Texas, just don't try to get to the point where money rules and you start trying to get rich from it. To me paying to hunt is bad enough when this is everyones land but if you are forced to do it at least you should only have to pay an honest fee. Cory

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.