Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I havew been shooting Mathews bows for over 10 years...never had any real problems. The other day I went to take my original grip off the bow to try a custom, I used a blow dryer to heat up the riser and grip, quite warm, and wiggled it to loosen it and remove. Well the grip was ground down so thin in the throat area it broke right in two pieces with very little pressure. It was only .020" thick in one spot. I have never asked Mathews for anything in 10 years, but they said I needed to go to my dealer ( about 65 miles away) and ask him to call them and get a replacement...they would not send me one even after I showed them pics of how thin it was where it broke and that it was stuck on with their original 3M weatherstrip adhesive. Afetr 10 years I would have expected them to throw one in the mail to me without any hassles, but No.
So, Elite, Ross, Bowtech and others are starting to look better all the time!
Just venting..this really Pissed me off after being so faithful to their bows and the sales I got them through the years by telling my friends to by their bow...Ggrrrrr!:mad:

·
Premium Member
20,334 Posts
Mrwintr said:
I havew been shooting Mathews bows for over 10 years...never had any real problems. The other day I went to take my original grip off the bow to try a custom, I used a blow dryer to heat up the riser and grip, quite warm, and wiggled it to loosen it and remove. Well the grip was ground down so thin in the throat area it broke right in two pieces with very little pressure. It was only .020" thick in one spot. I have never asked Mathews for anything in 10 years, but they said I needed to go to my dealer ( about 65 miles away) and ask him to call them and get a replacement...they would not send me one even after I showed them pics of how thin it was where it broke and that it was stuck on with their original 3M weatherstrip adhesive. Afetr 10 years I would have expected them to throw one in the mail to me without any hassles, but No.
So, Elite, Ross, Bowtech and others are starting to look better all the time!
Just venting..this really Pissed me off after being so faithful to their bows and the sales I got them through the years by telling my friends to by their bow...Ggrrrrr!:mad:
So if I understand correctly....

You remove your Mathews grip to try an after market grip....the original grip breaks in the process....Mathews is apparently willing to replace it anyway but wants you to do so through a Mathews dealer....and you are disillusioned by Mathews actions in the matter???:confused:

·
Registered
10,999 Posts
Sorry about your grip . . . .

You are really that mad over this? Remember, you decided to take the grip off. Mathews didn't tell you to. Had you called and asked they probably would have told you to take it to a dealer.

If I try to fix my car and I break it I'm not going to be mad at the car company because I broke the car.

That said, I did take my Mathews factory grip off myself but had I damaged it I wouldn't have been mad at them.

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
I really think you will be unhappy with all bow manufacturers because I would bet none of them would replace your grip by sending you a new one in the mail. I am actually surprised they will replace it for free by going to a dealer. I also don't understand why you want to replace it, throw on your custom grip and then your done

·
Registered
837 Posts
All I can say is WOW!!!!! Some people expect the world from manufacturers. I have a BlackMax grip for sale if you want it (cheap). May save you a 65 mile trip to the dealer. Did you not like the after market grip? I don't think that you are being fair to Mathews, after all, you broke the grip by taking it off. Good luck

Elwood

·
Registered
167 Posts
I kinda see his point. I've broken pieces on my Dillon reloading equipment and gotten free replacements even when I offered to pay for it. It's called CUSTOMER SERVICE. I reload a lot, and will NEVER buy anything other than Dillon. After 10 years of loyality on his part, where's the loyalty on their part? Is the price of a grip worth losing a customer? The better buisness move would have been to say "it's in the mail". My local pro shop just told me that Mathews will NOT pay her for warranty work. She does it anyway because that's the way she is. I think Mathews is a bit too big for their britches, IMHO.

Mrwintr...take a serious look at Parker. Their customer service is second to none.

·
74,535 Posts
Dont buy Mathews then

Mathews has always said there a dealer Company. You want them to change there policy for you.:confused:

Its the dealer call to fix the promblem.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
I can't see why Mathews should be responsible for a grip you broke trying to remove it.
Am I missing something?:confused:

·
Registered
717 Posts
i can see mathews wanting the dealer to put the grip on even at no charge, but my dealer even said thier hard to get off with out them breaking even after heating them up, but hey its a piece of wood. my grip on xt was popping so dealer heated her up and bam she broke right in half,replaced it and its all good now. but i can understand your frustration since you have to drive so far.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
Pheonix34 said:
I kinda see his point. I've broken pieces on my Dillon reloading equipment and gotten free replacements even when I offered to pay for it. It's called CUSTOMER SERVICE. I reload a lot, and will NEVER buy anything other than Dillon. After 10 years of loyality on his part, where's the loyalty on their part? Is the price of a grip worth losing a customer? The better buisness move would have been to say "it's in the mail". My local pro shop just told me that Mathews will NOT pay her for warranty work. She does it anyway because that's the way she is. I think Mathews is a bit too big for their britches, IMHO.

Mrwintr...take a serious look at Parker. Their customer service is second to none.
I have been a dealer for several bow companies and I was never payed for warranty work by any of them. It's called customer service and it should go farther than the Bow company. After all the Bow company is not the only one making money on a bow sale:)

A dealer should do his best to take care of His Customers;)

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pheonix34 said:

Thanks!
I don't care about thier policyand protocol, I just figured they would replace it under the curcumstances as I know mant business' would have gladly put it in the mail. Plano company sent me a whole kit for thge inside of my bow case, when I told them I wanted to buy just one little strap...that IS Customer Service!

·
NC ASA Director
35,987 Posts
Stuff happens.

Sorry you broke your grip.

·
Bow Huntin' pure-n-simple
4,922 Posts
You broke it , you fix it ,thats what real customers do.Simple enough.

·
NC ASA Director
35,987 Posts
You could just glue it back together with some wood glue.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but my grip is popping too, but its on a BowTech. I forgot that this is something that can be fixed under warranty, so I will have my dealer look at it rather than chancing breaking it myself. I am buying a new cam, however, because I damaged it myself, and I wouldn't expect BT to pick up the tab for that.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I ran out of gas in my truck. Do you think I should call Ford and see if they will fill it up for me. :D :chortle:

:sorry:

·
Remember.. Archery is fun
3,323 Posts
illbowhunter said:
I ran out of gas in my truck. Do you think I should call Ford and see if they will fill it up for me. :D :chortle:

:sorry:

NO... holler at the wife and kids for draining the tank. :wink: Oh nevermind, that's my house.

Nick

·
Registered
460 Posts
Mathews Customer Service

Next time you have a car problem call, or email, Ford Chevy or your particular dealer and describe your problem...(I broke my car)I'm sure you'll get your part shipped right away!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts