Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!!!!!

What's the answer to keeping inserts glued in for my CX 300 arrows. I haven't shot carbon long, but I have some Beeman ICS 400's and the inserts stay in them.

I'm using a hot melt glue stick. Don't understand why the inserts stay in the Beeman and not the CX.

·
74,535 Posts
cxl

I had to go to duro super gel glue. Basicly its super glue. Then its a pain to change.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Are you cleaning the inside of the shaft with rubbing alcohol and roughing up the surface inside with a wire bore brush?? I have found that to be th eticket with carbons. Using that method and goat tuff or Powerbond I haven't lost one yet...and I have done hundreds of arrows for others this way. Give it a try.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Inserts

X-ring,

Yeah, I read about roughing up the inside of the carbon arrow and cleaning it, I thought it was more hype than anything else. I never did this to the Beemans, and have never lost an insert with them.

I'll try what you suggest with the CX's. Plus I'll try a stronger adhesive.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Wire Bore brush, Acetone the inside of the shaft with a Q-tip, then I use 2 part epoxy...Haven't had one fall out..ever!!!!!
I use this in the carbon only shafts, but in the acc style shafts, I still use the apple hot melt glue stick.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
cxl

Here is another vote for POWER BOND, i use it for inserts and for the bushings, works great on my cxl 250's...... GARY COFFEY

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
xring is right on...make sure it's 90 percent alcohol(not 70).
Goat tuff and powerbond work great.
I've also had good luck with using the bohning stik tite for
carbon arrows after the initial prep xring recommended...
Regular hot melt will eventually break down on carbons... fine
for aluminums though...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts