Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble keeping my vanes on. I'm shooting Easton Redlines with 1.87" Flex-fletch vanes. I'm continually losing vanes. Before fletching, I scarify the surface of the shaft with steel wool and then clean it with alcohol. I clean the base of the vane with acetone and then I use Bond-Tite to attach the vane. It's not a clearance problem, because it's never the same vane that comes off. Sometimes, it's the index vane and sometimes one of the hen vanes. HELP!!!

·
Banned
4,304 Posts
Some manufacturers don't recommend cleaning the base of the vane. They put an accelerator on to help adhesion.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phil, the Flex-Fletch package says: "for best results clean the base of each vane with lacquer thinner or similar solvent." I don't think that's the problem.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Jake

What kind of fletcher are you using? Make sure you get good contact with the clamp and shaft. I like to see just a little glue ez out from under the vane. I'm also a big believer in Flex-Bond and Goat Tuff glue's. (Goat Tuff when in a hurry). WR

·
Registered
795 Posts
:) I don't have the solution for your flex fletch, but if you put a Duravane on a clean shaft with Duralok glue, it ain't coming off until you cut it off.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WR, I'm using a Jo-Jan Multi Fletcher. It's the first time I've ever used it. Always used a Blitz in the past for my feathers, but thought I'd give the Jo-Jan a try. I'm only fletching with an offset, not even a radical helical. I may have to go back to the Blitz; it does seem to give a more positive contact between the fletching and the shaft with its magnet, which the Jo-Jan doesn't have.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Steel wool

I no longer use steel wool. I had the same problem. I just clean off the shaft with alcohol and have not had the problem return.

Bill

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Fletcher

Jake, the Blitz should be a better fletcher than the Jo Jan? But I use a Jo Jan 6 fletcher and get by fine. Check your off set, you might be getting off the shaft a little? I use 2 1/2" Duravanes with a pretty good off set. When I first put the clamp in the fletcher I apply a little pressure to the clamp and try to get good contact. I'm thinking glue might be your problem (I'll get in trouble for that remark) But I use what works for me and Flex-Bond works on everything. When I take them out of the fletcher I put a drop at front and back of the vane. I also like for them to set overnight. But with Goat Tuff.... just glue and go shoot. WR

·
Registered
144 Posts
floxter,
What kind of alcohol are you using?
Do not use rubbing alcohol it leaves a residue and will impeed the bonding of the glue.

only use methyl alcohol. I would just use the acetone to clean both the shaft and the vane.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey there!!

I Rough up the shaft and the vane and then clean both with acetone. It works awesome. The vanes have a finish on them when you buy them. It's just oily enough to cause most glues not to attach as good as they could.

I can pull my arrows out of the targets by the vanes all day long and not lose one. The vanes outlast the arrows. Unfortunately, getting the vanes off when u want to is very difficult.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Try this

I use flex-fletch vanes and have no problem with keeping them on.
These vanes have an oily base left from the dye proccess.
I simply take a Qtip swab wet it and clean the base of the vane with a household cleanser. Make sure the cleanser is rinsed of good. This takes the oil off. Then I glue the vain with eastons fast set clue.
These vanes do not have an enhancer on them.
Make sure that you have plenty of glue on each tip of the vain so it will hold firm to the shaft.
These vanes seem to need just a little more time to set before they are shot.

If you want try this way and see if it works for you. Good luck.
And if it doesn't work remember "ARCHERY IS STILL FUN, SO BRING IT ON!!!!;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Your doignit wrong amigo

Rubbing alchjol cotains oil in many cases

Steel wool conmtains old to keep it from rusting

sue wraps ana use NVP or Fleching fast Gel from Bohning you will never have a vane come off IMHO

TINK

·
X's R Us
3,458 Posts
I use an emery board to roughen the base of the vanes. Then about 2 drops of super glue using the applicator tip to spread it around the vane. Gives just the right amount to keep the vane on without glue oozing all over the place. When I need to remove the vanes the base is still stuck to the shaft.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Make sure your alcohol is at least 91% or higher. The lower grades of isopropyl alcohol have a petrolium base that will leave a film on the shaft. Look for the 97% isopropyl alcohol & use flex-bond or fletchtite, this combonation has worked great for all types of shafts for me.
also like WR said check your fit in the jig to be sure the base is seated on the shaft properly. I have been useing jo-jans for years, they may not be the best by some peoples standards but there is certainly nothing wrong with them when setup properly:) ...............................................................DF1

·
Registered
215 Posts
DF1--Finally the answer to the problem--Flex Fletch vanes--Flex-Bond glue. There is a reason they recomend their own glue---
because it works best.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i would try to sand yhr shaft with light sandpaper then clean with acatone then lightly sand the vane with sand paper and clean with acetone and i stress with pure acetone nothing else and then make sure you use the right glue for the shaft you are working on and then use a bitzen burger jig

·
Registered
240 Posts
Something else to try/check. With the short vanes the clamp can angle down at the top when you let go, raising the back end of the vane off the arrow. You can put another vane in the top end of the clamp to keep it flat.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Flex Fletch recommens you use thinner to clean not alochol and take a Q TIP and dip in thinner and wipe down the base of the vane once its inthe clamp.

Don't smoke while fletching
Cig smoke prevents glues from stickign Honest

TINK:D

·
Registered
264 Posts
Go to their web site and follow their directions and you will never have another problem with them.

I repeatedly blow through my morrel (I need a new one) and the only ones I have come off are the ones that pull my wraps off.I only had that happen twice.The vanes still have the wrap stuck to the bottom.

www.flexfletch.com/adhesion.htm

1 - 19 of 19 Posts