Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-I am new to bow hunting. This is my second season bow hunting. I`ve hunted for 4yrs and managed to lose one deer with the rifle. Yesterday about 8:AM shut a doe. It looked like a good shot at the time. Behind the shoulder just high a bit. She just walked away with 3 other does that were front of her. I watched her stand behind a downed tree for a while until the rest thought it was time to go.
-I waited 30Min's. before looking for my arrow. Found it 7yds right behind where she was standing. No blood or hair on the arrow. No blood on site.
-Went back to where i was standing about 15yds away. Re lined my sight of aim with my pin and matched spot where the arrow was found. Had to pass through i think. So i went to grab my buddy to help me track after an 1 1/2 hour passed. Turned up with nothing. Went for at least 200yds but lost tracks after a while.
-Do you think i missed it some how? Shooting over the top then hitting a branch sending the arrow in to the dirt? I can hit a 4" group at 45yds with my Mathews at 65lbs 28in draw length. (But i was pretty worked up having to let those 3 does pass front of her so they don`t bust me just 15 yds away.) I don`t know....it was a perfect broad side shot too.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Sounds like ya missed buddy...good thing is that it sounds like none of them knew what happened, try again tmrw...good luck

·
Registered
593 Posts
My guess is a clean arrow is a clean miss. The arrow shaft or fletch will almost always
show flesh or blood or hair if it strikes and animal. They don't always react violently to the shot. Trust that the arrow was deflected or you just shot high in the excitement of
the moment. You will do better the next opportunity.

·
Registered
62 Posts
agreed with the above. never shot one and had a clean arrow. better a clean miss then a wounded deer

·
Registered
768 Posts
Sounds like you missed. There is an air pocket above the lung and below the spine, but you wont have a clean arrow. just better to miss all together

·
Registered
736 Posts
Did you pick a spot on that doe or just shoot at the deer.... pratice as much as you can it helps come crunch time...clean arrow sounds like you missed clean... :shade: take another look in same area you may just get a 2nd chance

·
Registered
321 Posts
Its crazy sometimes how what looks like a perfect shot turns out to be not so perfect. They can move quicker than your eye can react sometimes.

·
Registered
780 Posts
uhhhhh....what made you think you hit her if...1.she didn't run/ act hit
2.zero blood on arrow
3.no blood on trail/tracks leaving the area
after them three things I don't think I would have to ask "Do you think I missed it somehow ?" .......yeah you missed, happens to all of us

·
Registered
566 Posts
Sounds like you missed. There is an air pocket above the lung and below the spine, but you wont have a clean arrow. just better to miss all together
Now that right there is funny!

·
Registered
117 Posts
When it comes down to the shot there's often more things than you realize that your mind can focus on. I've had similar situations happen to me and after talking through the whole scenario you begin to piece things together... It's a weird thing, not being able to remember exactly what happened just after the shot. Typically I try to focus on the most important things on the list... Where the arrow enters the deer, and where the deer run after the shot. Most of the time if I focus on these two major points, I can piece together what happens before/after. I know this post doesn't explain the clean arrow after the shot, but hopefully next time you can focus on the more important things for piecing together what happens after the shot.

Oh, and if a deer is standing around after the first shot... why not give it another one just for good measure???

·
Registered
15 Posts
At least it was a doe. Yesterday, I shot the biggest buck I've ever seen hunting. Arrow stuck in him but we could not find a drop of blood. Possible the arrow could have kept the blood from coming out??

·
Registered
117 Posts
Riiiiiiiiiight... the old air pocket... WHAT?!?!?!?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Sounds like you missed... did you here a TWACK...

I need all the help I can get to know where my arrow hit...this is why I invested in lighted nocks.
Plus it's kinda cool to see the light disappear in the side of the animal.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
sounds like a miss too me bud

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
The only "air pocket" in an animal is called a lung...:wink:

·
Registered
988 Posts
With out a doubt, clean arrow = clean miss. Chances are she ducked your arrow. Chalk it up to expierence, I shot 3 2does in my first 2 years, then i missed a great 8point at 5yards...Bought lost my mind. I've missed a dozen does and 1 other buck since that 8point, I dont even worry about it now, i just go home and practice more.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts