Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot a buck about a half hour before dark tonight. The deer was 20 yards and broadside. MAde what looked to me to be a very good hit, lower third of the chest behind the front leg. The deer went in some brush where there was good blood but eventually ended up in some crp several hundred yards away that is where we lost the trail. Broadhead was a Montec g5. after it left the brush the trail was just a drop here and there. Going back in the morning to keep up the search. I just cant believe that the deer whent as far as it did and was not dead. It looked to be a super hit. Any comments or theorieos would be appreciated.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Good luck, I am wondering if you hit a little low and didn't get the chest cavity... was there any bubbles in the blood?

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Bionicrooster said:
Good luck, I am wondering if you hit a little low and didn't get the chest cavity... was there any bubbles in the blood?

Very good question! If there wasn't bubbles in the blood I would suspect that he was hit in the brisket. Initially they will bleed good and the blood will even pool up where they stop to rest but eventually the blood will trickle and then nothing. You mention "several hundred yards" away, the G5 is a good broadhead and assuming you hit vitals he would be down. Give it a look tomorrow and let us know what happened. Good Luck.

TEXAS

·
Registered
20 Posts
Couple years ago I nailed a nice doe at 15 yards. It was mid october and lots of foiliage and she was with 2 other deer. They scattered at the shot and I lost her after about 50 yards. It was near dark and I climed down and found my arrow covered in bright red blood and a decent blood trail. Then it became small flecks on the ferns. Within the 50 yards I saw her run I lost all traces of blood and my cousin and I were on our hands and knees until midnight looking for her. We were almost ready to give up when I tripped over her, literally. She had a good entry and exit wound but the blood pooled inside her and only a bit came out. She crumpled up DOA 65 yards or so from my tree.

That deer may have bled out and be lying nearby?

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I think its time to get a group together and start a grid search.

A buddy of mine stuck a 8 point last year lower shot right behind the shoulder, broadside shot, also with a montec. Ended up just clipping a small bit of both lungs deer bled heavily for the first 100yds. Then made it out to a corn feild lost the blood trail. Next day started a grid search with a group of 7 people, located very few drips through the woods. We found that deer 800+ yards away from the stand and 2.5 days later from starting the search. If your sure you made a kill shot dont give just keep looking its your duty as a hunter to look until your positve that it wasnt fatal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts