Votes: 42 43.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do you thing its good or bad for the sport to post on the Internet stories of lost deer?

I for one think it is bad news and doubt that the educational value of a lost deer is worth much if anything

TINK

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
If the person who lost the deer learns what he did wrong then I have no problem with it. If I lose a deer I would like to think I could come on here and ask what I mite of done wrong.

·
Registered
45 Posts
NO!!!

Heck no!!! Of course you all already new my answer. If you want to learn what you did wrong maybe you could post it a little dfferently than Lost 8 pointer today. Post Need help!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I dont think anyone is wanting to infringe on the freedom of speech, however some things are not benefitted by speaking.

I think inexperienced hunters run their mouth when they stick a deer for two reasons:

1. They actually dont know where they made the mistake that resulted in the loss of the deer and wish to discuss the matter with others who know more.

2. They are so darn happy to have actually gotten a shot and made contact with a deer the fact they took or made a BAD shot becomes secondary.

The reason I say " inexperienced hunters " is I dont believe anyone who has taken game ethically with the bow would shame themselves by making a mistake which would result in the loss of the game. There is only one right way to take game with a bow. There is no room for error. The quicker hunters learn this simple lesson the sooner we wont need to read these ridiculous "lost another one" threads.

Shoot at only calm animals, at a good angle, with well tuned equipment and this nonsense will stop. Even in the excitement of the hunt, it is a simple thing to remember, just do it right! Dont do anything you will need to be ashamed of!

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
brock ratcliff said:
I dont think anyone is wanting to infringe on the freedom of speech, however some things are not benefitted by speaking.

I think inexperienced hunters run their mouth when they stick a deer for two reasons:

1. They actually dont know where they made the mistake that resulted in the loss of the deer and wish to discuss the matter with others who know more.

2. They are so darn happy to have actually gotten a shot and made contact with a deer the fact they took or made a BAD shot becomes secondary.

The reason I say " inexperienced hunters " is I dont believe anyone who has taken game ethically with the bow would shame themselves by making a mistake which would result in the loss of the game. There is only one right way to take game with a bow. There is no room for error. The quicker hunters learn this simple lesson the sooner we wont need to read these ridiculous "lost another one" threads.

Shoot at only calm animals, at a good angle, with well tuned equipment and this nonsense will stop. Even in the excitement of the hunt, it is a simple thing to remember, just do it right! Dont do anything you will need to be ashamed of!
So in other words, if you have experience,great tuned equiptment, and you don't get buck fever nothing possible can happen to prevent you from hitting the mark??

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
The old saying that you should learn from the mistakes of others because you don't have enough time to make them yourself would be okay if not for the anti-hunting factor.
How many deer are lost versus the ones taken correctly? Do you think that an anti would count BOTH accurately and report the figures in an un-biased manner? No, you would hear that "x" deer were reported shot poorly,wounded and not recovered in the years ---- to -----. These figures could become gospel and reported in certain media. Look at the gun statistics that are twisted beyond reality!
The only reports that should be entered here are the ones that have a sucessful ending. Let them get their "weapons" elsewhere. You can also learn from sucess instead of failure.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I don't think it helps the sport but it is far from the ultimate sin!!! I heard more gun hunters talk about losing deer than bowhunters....it is sad but a fact!! I only take high opportunistic shots but even with that I have lost a couple myself....it has made me sick and causes me to think more and run down my mental list when one is in my sights but I have had them jump the string even when on my mark.....If I could just get all the deer to play right...then I beleive that would help....someone forgot to tell them the rules!!!!

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Tink where is the fire pit you are making to burn them all at the stake? Going to be a PayPerView event?

It seems what you are failing to realize is that these unfortunate events are part of hunting. IMO, masking them from the public eye deviates from the credibility of both ourselves and bowhunting.

Granted posting on here may not be the "best" PR...but then again voicing it ANYWHERE isn't positive PR. The whole basis of the subject is NEGATIVE, and as in ALL THINGS in life...there is good and bad. Embrace the negative and help others LEARN from it and CORRECT it.

Telling them not to post on here does what? Saves bowhunting's reputation? Saves our reputation? Keeps the information a secret? Hear no evil, see no evil...there is no evil!?!?

With the ages of technology readily available as a medium of discussion and information, I think it is incredibly beneficial to HELP fellow hunters in times such as these. You act as if they post on here with the intention of bragging or waving the flag of negativity for all ARAs to see. Get a grip and help a fellow bowhunter out, rather than bashing them and bringing them down when they are already at a low point of their season.

If you REALLY think about it, demoralizing a fellow bowhunter is HURTING him/her more than it is HELPING them or our sport. Considering hunting is a dying sport in many areas of the US, the impact of your remarks, especially on younger generations can be devastating.

Would you treat your own family on this level? Would you continue to pummel their feelings and their bad experience into the ground without care? Your ethics are backwards Tink, because your actions are speaking loudly and they are speaking against everything I stand for as a bowhunter.

I said it before and I'll say it again, I'd sooner have a fellow bowhunter post anything on here, positive or negative, in the hopes of seeking advice on his actions...and my own actions would reflect HELPING him and therefore our sport of bowhunting. Perhaps I'm naive, or perhaps I'm just simply too realistic...but I don't hide from anything I believe in...and I'm sure as hell not going to hide from the realities of bowhunting. ARAs and the like can kiss my ass every which way from Tuesday before I ever put them or their "feelings" before those of a fellow bowhunter.

Before you continue on your mockery of yet another hunter that may have made a mistake, think long and hard about your own actions before questioning those of another. You are certainly shortsighting the importance of your voice and its impact on others. Quite disheartening, discouraging, and IMO disrespectful. Call me serious, but bowhunting and its future are VERY serious to me.

Sorry for the rant, but after several posts, a poll thread, and a mockery thread all from you on the same topic extending off a fellow bowhunter's unfortunate experience that is a certain reality of bowhunting...I had enough. Help the guy, don't knock him down even further than he already is. I would have thought by now, someone with your experience would have understood that and it would go without saying...perhaps not.

Good luck, and shoot straight!

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
My feelings exactly. Experts bowhunters are not born, they are made through hard work, experience and determination. Let's try to help them out with constructive criticism only.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
A good example of help would be the post from willie - Tracking Wounded Deer. If all read it, then maybe the "I can't find it" wouldn't be posted. That thread should be "to the top" beforeand during bow season!

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Indeed perhaps some "couldn't find it" threads WOULDN'T be posted...but that doesn't mean they SHOULDN'T be posted. Big difference.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Talking about it is great. That is how we learn. However, it should be talked about, with friends, not over the internet. If you have a serious question, relate it in a "what if" senerio. Be a little discreet.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Look guy I have never said anything abou t punishing them

It s just a question abou t posting our dirty laundry in public

I had a guy inthe USa that lsot a big buck when i was in South Africa I helped him find the lsot deer and I know trhe value of the Net

Its about 50/ 50 not clear cut People are Divided
you guy do what you want I am just one voice out of 6600

I am oneof the five guyt that stated the Bowhunter education Program when it was part of the NFAA

I am Pro education

It am not comforatble about all the" lost deer threads" that appear daily now

Show me a better way OK?

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I may be just a naieve country boy,but whats the big deal about asking questions about tracking a wounded deer " after the fact'..
Guys c'mon, no one here was born an "expert"...
All this talk about "feeding the anti's" IMO is "horse$hit"..

Hunting in general is all the ammo they need to go on a rant...
They are gonna say whatever they want, it does'nt have to be "true" for them to say it....

If you want a good topic to get "antis" going, just mention trophy hunting...

There are alot of guys that hunt for one thing only" a nice rack", and thats fine if thats what you want to do..

But know put that into an anti's head and what does he/she say??? "They don't even use the meat, they kill just for a trophy rack"...

IMO, people who say they only hunt wallhangers and pass on does are feeding the anti movement pretty good themselves, rather you use the meat or not, it looks like a rack is all your after and are not interested in the animal itself...

Bottom line is, bowhunting or hunting in general is "offensive" to some,who cares.....It is a way to keep wildlife in check that is much more "humane" than the alternative...

As long as there is hunters, there will be wounded game that can't be found, I know that sucks, but that is reality, why try to smooth it over so it sounds good to someone who would rather see you dead than an animal......

Good hunting to all....

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
If I ever loose a deer that I have shot I will never post about it.

I think these kind of posts make a person look incompetent as a hunter. JMO

·
Registered
209 Posts
Tree Jumper....."buck fever" is a part of hunting. It is why I hunt, I like the feeling, Ive learned to deal with it. If a person is going to use "buck fever" for an excuse for a bad hit, maybe that person should have realized ,BEFORE the shot, they were no longer in control of the situation. Arrows dont just fly without command. Get a grip on the situation or sit down and watch the animal walk. NO EXCUSES.

·
Registered
77 Posts
IMHO I don't think anyone enjoys hearing or reporting of "lost deer" . If it should happen... maybe a private call or email for help from a more experienced hunter to assist would be better. I think of this every time I instruct a bowhunter safety course and try to make sure the students understand the responcibility required when the arrow flies. We owe this to the animal and to each other as well.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
brock ratcliff said:
Tree Jumper....."buck fever" is a part of hunting. It is why I hunt, I like the feeling, Ive learned to deal with it. If a person is going to use "buck fever" for an excuse for a bad hit, maybe that person should have realized ,BEFORE the shot, they were no longer in control of the situation. Arrows dont just fly without command. Get a grip on the situation or sit down and watch the animal walk. NO EXCUSES.
I agree with you 100% me to. If it no longer is exciting why do it??
But does it make you a better hunter to be "condemned by your peers" for screwing up? Or to be helped with advise from someone who was in your shoes...

I don't know about you, but I have screwed up before and I had to learn the hard way,maybe guiding a "young or less experienced hunter" WILL make them a better hunter in the future....I think it would.....But this is just my .02 cts....

·
Banned
333 Posts
tink is correct

the anti's are reading some or all of these posts ,you can bet on that!!!!! so get advice through the PM service or E-MAIL ., we ALL are here to help !!! and are glad to do so. but lets not tell on our selves .. let me hear about the one you got, with a perfect shot ...and the way you took him because you have practiced and took a shot within your skill level!!!!:)

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Good post!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts