Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hae a problem i cant seem to find deer as easy as i would hope you guys have any suggestions to help me? and i know how to shot them but they just dont seem to drop anywere close to were i shot them/////?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
This really ought to go in the hunting section. If you know were to shoot them at then you shouldn't have any problem finding them. Double lung them and they go down fast.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Your response was about the same as the post you reported....'94

dezzlin i hit them double lunger and they seem to want to run forever i know i hit them in both lungs cause after i found him i looked were i hit ! im cunfuzed

·
Registered
811 Posts
Don't know what exactly you mean but, You have to make a good shot on any animal you shoot, If you are not sure of the shot you made, don't chase after the deer, check the spot where you shot and look for blood, your arrow, hair, etc. Sometimes it's better to just leave and come back the next morning, Pay attention which way the deer ran, and listen for the animal when it stops, and make a mental note of that direction. If you jump a poorly hit deer you will have a hard time finding it again. Don't take any shot your not sure of. Deer don't just drop from a arrow, they will run sometimes 100 yds. with a lung shot. A spine shot will drop a deer, but when that happens the hunter made a bad shot. No one tries to hit the spine. Good Luck.

·
Registered
238 Posts
When you say you know how to shoot them I imagine you are refering to shot placement, maybe there is a good chance you know where you want the arrow to go but its just not hitting the spot you want(missing). Another possibility could be the set-up (draw weight, arrow and broadhead) you are using. I must say though until it is all figured out you should stop wounding animals and work on the fundamentals.

I just read your reply(I was typing while you were answering), I was under the assumption that you were not recovering the animal. In the case that you are recovering but they are just moving far out my guess would be not giving the animal enough time to expire and they move out on your approach.

·
Registered
960 Posts
he's only 16, and he probably hasn't had the benefit of an experienced hunter to guide him, so let's give him a break. When I was 16, it was really hard to learn how to hunt, because I didn't know any hunters. I had to figure it out by myself with books. At least he's asking for help.

Cory, first I agree with the others, if you are shooting them through both lungs, then they should drop fast. So, first make sure you are shooting the correct place. Check this out: http://www.huntingnet.com/staticpages/staticpage_detail.aspx?id=8
If you are hitting the vitals correctly, then you may not be getting clean enough cuts. Make sure you have razor sharp broadheads. Don't practice with the same blades that you hunt with. Get an extra identical set. Your hunting broadheads should never touch anything but a deer.

Once you shoot the deer, don't get up and go looking for it right away unless it's raining or getting dark (I'm not a fan of coming back the next day because I hunt deer for the meat rather than the rack, so if I don't recover it that night, the meat is wasted anyway). Give it time to settle down and expire. I've heard of some people waiting for 30 minutes. If you go chasing it, and it isn't dead yet because you actually hit the liver or something other than the lungs/heart, you could be driving the deer deeper into the woods. Keep a sharp eye on exactly where the deer was when you shot it. Go to that spot and mark it with toilet paper or orange tape. Then look for a blood trail and follow it in the direction that the deer was heading when you last saw it. Look for drops of blood and hair on plant leaves and the ground. Shot deer will often run to the thickest part of the area, so you need to check the heavy stickers and brush and weeds.

Also, next time, post hunting questions in the bowhunting section rather than the general section, because non-hunters may be offended. Good luck with your hunts, and since you are actually seeing deer, then you are already doing pretty good.

·
Registered
811 Posts
cory691989 said:
***EDITED***dezzlin i hit them double lunger and they seem to want to run forever i know i hit them in both lungs cause after i found him i looked were i hit ! im cunfuzed
Don't let it bother you, your right at least your not afraid to ask,( good for you) I'm sure some of these guys knew it all at 16, ya right. We were all there. Try not to get too vocal, just consider the source. Keep asking that's how we all learn.

·
Registered
146 Posts
ok i thimk i should have put this question in a different way i was hunting in a climber and i was ohhhhh 25 feet in the tree and saw my buck and shot him i found him but was wondering why when i was tracking him did he stop bleed ing for a good 50 feet he did this multipal times it was pissing me off i would get a tiny spec of blood a pool of it and then nothing for a great distance.

bowhunterj There is a little thing called blood that comes out of the deer after the shot. Follow that and there you go.
People like you give archery hunters a bad name.

i am just looking for some answers and that last post helped me alot thanx leadworks and thank you glockman. and the rest but i dont think some of you understood what i was saying i never lost a deer i just took forever to find the **** thing and im not a trophie hunter im in it for the meat to

sooo thanx to all who replyed!
cory

·
Registered
80 Posts
A few rules I like to go by are

1. If I see the deer go down then go after it.
2. If you do not see deer go down wait at least 30 minutes then go check for
blood sign and arrow. If you have bright red blood with bubbles in it, keep tracking, the deer is hit in lungs. Bubbles and darker red mixture is heart and lungs keep tracking. Dark red blood or any kind of smell on arrow is
liver and possibly gut. Back out for at least 6 hours.
3. If you have any doubts on the hit then wait at least 1 hour before doing
any checking.

Most deer when hit will travel less than 200 yards if they are left alone. Many of them travel in a straight line then circle around to watch back trail. If you push them too quick they will bolt out of the next county.

I have had double lung hit deer run for up to 1/4 mile but they usually leave a good blood trail. If you lose the trail go back to the last spot of blood and begin again. If there is still no blood then try to think like the deer. If it is close to where it was shot then it will usually take the easiest path to escape, soon after it will begin to look for hiding place.

Here in Iowa you can go out after dark and wait for the coyotes to start howling in your area they will point you to the wounded deer.

Above all remember when you think you have waited long enough to begin looking wait 1/2 hour longer and you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
I've found that people lie and they lie big time, or they just don't have experience with many deer and got lucky enough to have what they've shot go down close.

A deer can run for a long way without lungs and they can put out almost nothing for blood with normal sized broadheads.

My answer was to use large mechanicals. So far the deer haven't run far with either a double lung/liver or a lung heart and they put out massive blood trails that even I (color blind) could follow if needed.

You wouldn't think a small amount of diameter would make a difference but I ran into blood problems when I switched from 1 1/4" heads to 1 1/8" heads.
But you need a lot of momentum to push 1 3/4"+ heads. 350 grains or low draw weight doesn't cut it.

·
2nd Amend. Don't lose it
21,780 Posts
Hello Cory,

Well Cory, My name is Dwayne... And I have had the same experience as you have had. Let me tell you why it is difficult to find traces of blood.

You said your stand was about 25 feet high.... Well, lets put it this way... anytime a stand is about 18 feet or higher, it puts a exteme angle of entry upon the deer.

If it is a back lung hit, there is a chance the exit hole will be plugged by the vitals, and your hold will be plugged.

If your bow is a little on the light side, your arrow may not go through, thus your arrow will stay inside the deer.

Either of these are a excellent kill, but the main problem lies in tracking the animal.

If the hole is plugged, there is lots of blood AT FIRST 0 to 30 yards!!!, then it dribbles to maybe a spot every 10 yards.

If the arrow doesn't pass through, you will not have *any* pools of blood, and the deer will not bleed for about 30 yards. When it does bleed, you will only find 1 or two drops of blood every 20 feet or so. The reason why, is the deer is bleeding through its nose and mouth, and every time it exhales out, a little blood comes with the breath. These are the hardest deer to track in my opinion.

In both of these cases, the deer can run anywhere from 50 to 500 yards.

Deer usually take the path of LEAST resistance. They will attempt to stay on a trail when injured, and their first "sprint" is usually a trail of "escape" for them.

Lets look at some of the deers habits when injured.

1. A injured deer will usually attempt to go to water.
2. A injured deer will usually avoid any jumps, enbankments, or hills.
3. A injured deer will usually start out by running towards his "escape" route. So look for blood in a area where deer feel "safe".

Always remember to mark EVERY spot of blood. (even the smallest spot). you can usually see a trail that the deer is following. Also, a deer usually bleeds out of one side the most. (Its usually the lower hole, or exit hold) So if you start finding blood, mark which side the deer is bleeding the most. If it is on the left side, always walk the trail and look LEFT for blood first. If you walk to the left side of the trail, you will have a MUCH MORE DIFFICULT time finding blood, because the grass blades that has the blood on it, will be covered on the RIGHT side of the grass blades, and less visible to you. I hope I explained this well enough.

Good luck!

Dwayne

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
In all honesty, have a pair of binoc's handy when hunting. Watch the deer as far as you can after the shot. You'd be amazed at how many ppl just shoot then shout. I was doing it until I made a conscious effort to watch my deer. Try it, you may be suprised.

·
Registered
620 Posts
The one thing I have seen that we do is,to follow the deer too soon.You need to wait,depending on where you hit the deer.On a good hit I wait at least 30 minutes or more.

·
Registered
962 Posts
cory691989 said:
ok i thimk i should have put this question in a different way i was hunting in a climber and i was ohhhhh 25 feet in the tree and saw my buck and shot him i found him but was wondering why when i was tracking him did he stop bleed ing for a good 50 feet he did this multipal times it was pissing me off i would get a tiny spec of blood a pool of it and then nothing for a great distance.

bowhunterj There is a little thing called blood that comes out of the deer after the shot. Follow that and there you go.
People like you give archery hunters a bad name.

plus dude you are the people that give hunters the bad names all thinking you know it all and being a smart ass about it thanx for the help!:mad:

i am just looking for some answers and that last post helped me alot thanx leadworks and thank you glockman. and the rest but i dont think some of you understood what i was saying i never lost a deer i just took forever to find the damn thing and im not a trophie hunter im in it for the meat to

sooo thanx to all who replyed!
cory
********************Uneccessary**************************

·
Registered
92 Posts
OK well that might have been a little sarcastic but I can take a little constructive criticism. Grow up and learn from your mistakes.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Cory is a troll. I perused some of his other insightful missives (read: posts) and he claims to have already arrowed both an 8 and a 14 pointer.

All hail King Cory.

PS. Oh yeah, he got tazered by a cop, too. Perhaps the cop didn't use enough voltage.

·
Registered
230 Posts
bowhunterj said:
There is a little thing called blood that comes out of the deer after the shot. Follow that and there you go.
:thumbs_do People like you give archery hunters a bad name.
Who ***EDITED*** are you to say he is giving archery hunters a bad name. ***EDITED*** People like you who wont lend a helping hand to another hunter are the problem. Since you have NEVER lost a deer in your whole life....why dont you impart some of your oustanding tracking knowledge to the rest of us? How bout doing something like that if you are so concerned about the futherance of archery hunter??????

***Warning for text masking & name calling. Byron***

·
Registered
715 Posts
Sounds Like you needed the Hypershocks!!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts