Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up to this past may Ive only shot longbows with no sights.I can only shoot well with both eyes open.on my new compound bow Ive tried 4 diff. brands of sights and beyond 10ydsIcant see the pin when I get it ontarget unless I close one eye. The clore just dissapears.Ive tried pin lights, removeing the pin guard, and even tapeing a flashlight to it and nothing works. also no matter where I adjust my pin to I keep hitting the same spot.Trying to shoot with only 1 eye open I cant even get on my target most times. Could this be years of instinctive shooting overrideing my use of a sight or a symptome of target panic or what can anyone help?

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
Wolfman88 said:
Up to this past may Ive only shot longbows with no sights.I can only shoot well with both eyes open.on my new compound bow Ive tried 4 diff. brands of sights and beyond 10ydsIcant see the pin when I get it ontarget unless I close one eye. The clore just dissapears.Ive tried pin lights, removeing the pin guard, and even tapeing a flashlight to it and nothing works. also no matter where I adjust my pin to I keep hitting the same spot.Trying to shoot with only 1 eye open I cant even get on my target most times. Could this be years of instinctive shooting overrideing my use of a sight or a symptome of target panic or what can anyone help?

Can't even start to guess because of the lack of information. What kind of compound are you shooting ? Are you using a peep? Kind and size of peep? Do you wear glasses? Are you using a release? Do you know which is your dominant eye? Did you set the bow up yourself? There's a discussion as to shoot with one eye or both eyes open all the time. Its being done both ways.:wink: You'll just have to find which one works for you.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
sounds like years of instinctive shooting overiding your sight.Set your 20 yd pin and shoot 20,then set your 30 and shoot 30, dont pay so much attention to your pin,focus as you do on the spot. My point is, that your instinct will take over and your pin will go to that spot you are focused on.Some one said, I believe it was NUTS AND BOLTS,"the arm follows the eye and the eye follows the mind.Shoot out to as far as your pins will allow and I bet you hit the spot alot of the time, I think you are to the level some archers would like to be, just focusing on the spot and your pin automatically goes there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Eye

Hi Wolf,

You need to figure out which is your dominant eye. Try this: make a circle with your thumb and index finger. Hold it our in front of you. Keep both eyes open and look through the circle and place it on an object 10 or so feet away. Now don't move anything. Close one eye then the other. Which one are you lined up with. That's your dominant eye and likely the answer to the question. Fixing it may be harder but let us know.

all the best,
john

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GRIM said:
sounds like years of instinctive shooting overiding your sight.Set your 20 yd pin and shoot 20,then set your 30 and shoot 30, dont pay so much attention to your pin,focus as you do on the spot. My point is, that your instinct will take over and your pin will go to that spot you are focused on.Some one said, I believe it was NUTS AND BOLTS,"the arm follows the eye and the eye follows the mind.Shoot out to as far as your pins will allow and I bet you hit the spot alot of the time, I think you are to the level some archers would like to be, just focusing on the spot and your pin automatically goes there.
I think you got it. in the begining I wasshootoing raely well to 30 yds. but after reading so much about form and accuracy I started puting some effort into it . I guess I was concentrating so much that i over did it. after tsarting this thread I said to myself p*** on form and walked outside and shot 2 half dollar size 5 sot groups at 20yds. I guess I was trying to hard to be as good as everyone else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts