Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired an Oneida Pro eagle, the short limb model about 3 years old. It is a pretty cool bow, but I have no idea about them:confused3:

The biggest thing is how do you shorten the draw length? Also, do these bows have any type of solid back wall.... right now it feels like one of those kids genesis bows without a peg, that you can keep drawing?? Of course I would bet it is 28.5 - 29 inch draw... I would need 27.5.

Basically, any help on this bow would be appreciated.... I might actually consider hunting with it this year if I can get it figured out and shooting good. Talk about a smooth draw:eek: ... it is kinda loud, it has the Oneida dampening kit on it already.... any more secrets to making quieter. It feels weird to know basically nothing about a bow again :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi!
You should go to the Oneida eagle homepage, they have a great forum:grin:they sure are nice guys:nixon:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Hoyt,

Congrats on the purchase...I owned a Pro a few years ago, and they're very nice. :) A short will definitely be able to drop down to a 27.5" draw - the cams on the bow will have modules in them - small plastic pieces that can be replaced after removing a small allen set screw. Depending upon your desired letoff, I'm sure that we (the Oneida forum guys) can get you hooked up with the right set of modules (I have dozens and dozens of 'em). There is also a draw stop setup called a PDC that allows you to set up an exact draw stop at any draw length - prevents the cams from turning further and provides a solid back wall.

What desired weight/letoff are you looking for with a 27.5" draw?

Here's the link to the Oneida forum: http://p102.ezboard.com/bcponeidaeaglebows

Great group of guys - send Jeff a registration email and ask any questions you have - great resource of information.

Ask away here as well if you wish...I'll try to help ya as best I can.

·
Registered
10,993 Posts
Rathbuck explained the draw length changes and the PDCs . . . regarding quieting the biggest thing is to make sure that the bow is in spec. Again, check things out on the Oneida Forum. Their is a whole section on there devoted to the topic. The bows are incredibly easy to work on and if properly tuned are abuot as quiet as anything else (or at least queit enough). I killed a bunch of deer with my Black Eagle and they didn't seem to hear anything except little deer angel harps playing.

·
Archery is a Passion...
3,015 Posts
Just a quick comment. Looks like you have been steered the right direction. Find a guy on the Oneida forum called "JeffPAHunter" or call the factory directly and ask for Will or Matt.

You can hurt the bow by over drawing. When you do, you over rotate the cams and they begin to push on the cables which will either wear out the cables or even damage the cables.

Rub a cotton ball on the cables and if there are any sharp edges or burrs, then you will need to replace the cables right away.

This can make you a great bow if properly setup. They are very easy to work on once you learn the basics. If you don't have a manual, you can look on the Oneida website and should be able to find one there.

This is a really nice bow, once you get it setup and draw stops installed, you will love it.

Good Luck,
thenson

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses guys....

When I got the bow I sent it to Oneida because it had a broken cable. The tech replaced it, put the dampening kit on it and greased it all up. I asked him to get the draw to 27.5 and put it in spec for me. The bow is in overall excellent condition.

I just got the bow back last night and only shot it in the yard with rest and no sight.... just to see what it was like:)

It has potential and I like the smooth draw for hunting...but it is not 27.5 inches and doesn't have any type of solid back wall. With most my other bows I shoot about 27.5 to 27.75 and a loop.

I know Hoyts, mathews, etc and have set up, timed, tuned hundreds of them. This is my first time even looking at an Oneida and I am frankly I am clueless... but want to give the bow a chance before I just get rid of it.... because I think I might just like it to be in a tree with me this fall:)

I went to Oneida forum and did a little reading but can't really follow it... I am asking one of the Oneida experts here on AT if I can ship the bow to them and have them set it up properly?? I want to learn the bow and if i like I will but don't have time between now and mid October....

If someone is willing to help out please PM me. Obviously there are no dealers in my area that know the ins and outs of Oneidas as well as some of the guys on here....

Shoot me a pm if interested in helping me out with my new pro eagle and we can work out the details.... thanks in advance and sorry for long post

·
Archery is a Passion...
3,015 Posts
PM sent.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts