Archery Talk Forum banner

Lots of 'Yotes

516 Views 7 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  King
Saturday morning had a pack of 5 coyotes come by my stand. It got me wondering if a pack like this would take down a deer or actually how many deer a year they would kill. I'm sure they do more damage in spring/early summer if they come across fawns. Does anyone know the average number of deer a coyote kills in a year?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· THwack--CRASH
11,208 Posts
Saturday morning had a pack of 5 coyotes come by my stand. It got me wondering if a pack like this would take down a deer or actually how many deer a year they would kill. I'm sure they do more damage in spring/early summer if they come across fawns. Does anyone know the average number of deer a coyote kills in a year?

one study found up to 30% fawn kills in some areas

· Registered
5,479 Posts
A group of coyotes that size can do some serious damage on deer.

A full grown deer could easily be taken down by a group that size.

Bring more arrows next time!!

· Registered
5,628 Posts
They are fawn killing experts, along with hogs and bobcats.

I never would have believed it, but last year i watched a single coyote run down a full grown doe and bring her down.
That was the fastest i've ever seen a deer run.
It was truly a life or death race.
She lost.

· Registered
600 Posts
Was Just out on the porch with the wife having a cigg... and we could hear the pack on the hillside to the north west of town gathering and greeting each for a night hunt...

I told my wife come Saturday if she sees a coyote,turkey or deer she has the green light to draw and shoot.. as Coyote season opened October first,Turkey and deer season Both Open the 18th....

So they are all Game for us... And any of the three would be the first for my wife to harvest and get mounted... myself a coyote and a turkey would be my first...

I Have tried Morning and Evening hunts calling predators and never had luck calling in any... I called in a male red fox with Mouse squealing sounds with my mouth and harvested it a few years back....

But it was with a .17 hmr .......

I Would shoot at each yote I could as they Harm and Harass the heck out of deer....

quivers only hold so many arrows,so I plan to carry a few Extra's in my Waist Quiver and add the broadheads as I need a extra arrow and leave the broadheads in the Muzzy clear pack till such time to assemble a few....

Good Luck and Harvest a few Extra's for AT

· Registered
462 Posts
We were making our first stalk on an elk in CO this year, when we heard running coming towards us and FAST! We hunkered down and before we could even get our arrows knocked a pack of 6 coyotes came running right at us. They didn't know we were there, but there were 3 of them that we could have stabbed with knives. We couldn't believe it. We laughed so hard after it happened. I later revenged the coyotes scaring us by punching 1 of the coyotes in the ribs w/ a montec at 35 yds. Ahhhh Sweet revenge. Not sure who was more surprised the coyotes or us. haha. :eek:

· Registered
469 Posts
How about a fox? I saw 3 last Thursday while hunting and didn't know whether to take one or let them pass, I chose the latter. Should I have taken one? Are they bad for the deer population like yotes are?

· Super Moderator
20,486 Posts
A group of coyotes that size can do some serious damage on deer.

A full grown deer could easily be taken down by a group that size.

Bring more arrows next time!!
I second this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.