Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shoot longbows, I wanted to try a recurve as I thought I might put a sight on it one day... Tried a couple Martins and I thought a train was coming....

What brand of recurve might be less loud when shooting that can accept a sight at some point.....

glen

·
Registered
500 Posts
What makes a lot of noise is the string slapping against the limbs out towards the curls at the end. Look at the top of the screen. See the pic of the guy with the recurve? Look at what he's got on the end of his string. Another thing that helps is using a high performance string that isn't stretchy and springy like the cheap, stock dacron strings.

·
Registered
364 Posts
It just takes a bit more tweeking to quiet a recurve. String material, type and position of silencers, arrow weight, felt pad just below the string grooves, etc., etc. With a little work, bet you can quiet 'em down.

·
Registered
814 Posts
There are recurve that are quiet out of the box. I shoot rivers edge recurves
They are just as if not more quiet than most longbows..

·
Registered
705 Posts
BRace is very instumental in cutting noise. I twist the string till I can start to see the limb groove come out from under the string. This will almost always put you into the designed brace,if not follow manufactors recommendations.
I have also found a flemish dacron to be the least noisy string but you will give up some speed and have to watch brace as they will stretch.

Rob

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Brace height is very important. String silencers and arrow weight all play into the noise factor also. Lighter the arrow, the more wasted energy that translates into vibration and noise.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Tuning, tweaking and strings all make a huge difference on a recurve. Martins come with a factory string that is LOUD among other things, a good flemish and some tuning will make a dramatic difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts