Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a switchback xt and was pretty quiet before but I changed out string/cable and new string is louder. Now I'm getting a slap noise ... instead a smooth noise

Is this normal? Does it need to be broken in? and it's a winner's choice string and cable ... thoughts?

·
wannabtradguy
15,318 Posts
I'd shoot it for around 100 shots then set the bow back to the ata and bh that it was before. it should be quiet then. I also put cat whiskers on the string and leeches on the cables. that will help make it quiet too. I've never been a WC fan so if it still is noisy you might have to try another string.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'd shoot it for around 100 shots then set the bow back to the ata and bh that it was before. it should be quiet then. I also put cat whiskers on the string and leeches on the cables. that will help make it quiet too. I've never been a WC fan so if it still is noisy you might have to try another string.
Why would winners choice be louder than another brand?

I would bet that the bow is out of tune, (over or under rotated cam), or string accessories are not on the new string. Also, if you have a rubber hose to align your peep sight, they make a loud slapping noise.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why would winners choice be louder than another brand?

I would bet that the bow is out of tune, (over or under rotated cam), or string accessories are not on the new string. Also, if you have a rubber hose to align your peep sight, they make a loud slapping noise.
I have a rotating peep .. not a rubber hose ... as far as the bow out of tune ... it doesn't seem to shoot different ... is there something I can look for??

·
Registered
191 Posts
i had this happen last year when i changed the string and cables on my katera. the hoyt custom string and cables (fuse) were at lot thicker in diameter than the WC string i put on. the fuse only needed 1 cat whisker, string leach, or string shock to dampen the sound. the WC seemed a lot louder for some reason. i now have two string shocks on the WC string to keep the noise tamed down a bit. not sure why one string is louder than the next.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Who changed out the S&C was it your proshop!!!take it back and have them look at it.
Strings are made with different material and some have more strands than others,which would cause the sound to change,ive had this happen going from stock S&C to aftermarket one's............:darkbeer:

·
Registered
746 Posts
different materials

I hear you, went from a stretchier string material to the no stretch and there is some definite SNAP to the new strings. No peep rotation though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts