Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went out for the first night in Mo last night. I bumped two deer walking in the woods to the stand and wasn't in the stand 5 mins when I decided to try out my new grunt call, the talker. Well i let out about three 2-3 second grunts. It wasn't 2 mins and her comes a doe out of no where, she just appeared. She walked around real cautious looking for that buck and presented a perfect broadside shot, I let the arrow go, but hit a darn limb I didn't see just before I drew back. So she took off. Well i sat there for about 45 mins and did that same sequence. 5 mins later, here comes two does,,,,and then I hear a grunt that was deeper that my true talker, and those who have it know how deep that true talker is. Well the bowhunting gods weren't kind again, cause the wind was in my face the entire time, but then it died and I could feel the slightest breeze come past my neck and the two lead does started getting ancy and that buck froze. The does started investigating and decided to head back the way they came, and I saw the body of the buck but didn't see the rack :(. He grunted about 4-5 times at me and it was a deeeep one so I am assuming he is mature right?? Either way, I love my grunt tube now and that was a great first night, just wish I didn't hit a that limb and the wind hadn't changed and I might have doubled up like Josh M., but thats hunting. Good luck

Sean

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
The True Talker is an awesome call and certainly one of the most authentic sounding calls available. Good luck with it this season, with a bit more luck it could lure you in a monster!

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cornfed! Same to ya and the rest of ya. So would only a mature deer make a really deep grunt. Since I didn't see the rack and heard the deep grunts I am assumming it was a mature deer.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Most of the time a more mature deer is a bit deeper but as in humans their "voice" does seem to vary a bit per individual. I've heard and seen some young bucks grunt that you would have sworn came from much larger animals. Two things that you can count on in the whitetail world, the words NEVER and ALWAYS simply do not apply. Good huntin this fall bud

1 - 4 of 4 Posts