Archery Talk Forum banner

Low sight pins

1087 Views 19 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  DLJ
I know I could pose this question in the General section of the forum, but I think I'm less likely to get flamed or dumb suggestions here.

I have recently set up a Ross CR337 and in the last few days a Bowtech Constitution (08) and I have noticed the same thing on both. I have to adjust my sight very low and the pins at the very bottom of the opening.

I have not changed anything by way of set up and my anchor has not changed. Both bows are shooting perfectly, with the Ross I am getting some really excellent groups (too early to say anything about the Connie).

The only thing I can think is that due to a change in the position of my bow holding hand, to a more modern grip (knuckles at 45 degrees to the riser and weight held near the thumb), I am holding the bow lower and therefore having to raise the arrows with the sights.

Your thoughts please.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,000 Posts
Hard to say with out seeing you shoot and nowing what anchor you use? I would say you are on to somthing with the grip. But as long as you still have room to move the sight/pins and not get bottomed out I wouldent worry about it. You might look at your peep sight as well if it has moved then this will affect the sight. Good luck

· Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't seen those pictures before, you old dog!

I recognise a couple of the shots, especially the goose, which was a moving target and I am shooting with Caroline, was that Druids???. I'm very....GREEN aren't I :D

I anchor with my index finger at the corner of my mouth and have done since the mid 1980's, so I'm pretty confident that nothing there has changed!

Limey, yes the pins are even lower than those, as I have transferred the sight from my 05 (in the pictures) to the 08 and had to move everything down.

With the Ross, everything has just about worked out, as I have 5 pins, 20 yards to 60 yards. I am not yet sure about the Connie, as I ran out of light before I had it dialled in at 20 yards.

You will see in those pictures that I have a 'pistol' type grip. Lately, after a few months off, I have taken to using the modern target type grip and that is the only thing I can think is different.

If the pins are too squashed up on the Connie, I'll have to look at a different sight. That would be a shame, as I really like the Toxonics.

I'll see how things work out tomorrow, and see if I can tweak the peep just a tiny bit.

Any more ideas, I'd be interested in hearing them.

· Registered
5,563 Posts
I am also thinking a flatter arrow flight may lower the pins as less loop in the arrow which would mean a lower top pin.

Obvious cause is a change in anchor point!

· Registered
5,563 Posts
The pics were from Druids 07.

Yes you are well colour mathced:pukey:

I know what you mean about the grip difference but trying to think through the effect of a different grip on the bow... its too late 9pm and I am going home now.

· Registered
2,332 Posts
My random thoughts:

Can't tell from the pictues but do you have a peep sight installed and is it in the same position as your other bows?

You do anchor much higher then I do as I'm often pushing the envelope to the high side of the sight adjustment equation.

Maybe the design of these newer bows is geared toward release shooters who anchor under their chins as the norm to give them the most flexability?

Guess I'm grasping at straws. Good Luck!

· Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have just compared the sight mounting holes on my 05 and 08 Connies. The sights mount about 1/2" lower (closer to the sight window) on the 05. I think that gives me my answer.

I also have a PSE Mojo (nice bow) and that has the ideal solution, as it has several drillings, allowing the sight to be installed in a low, central or high position, and I have my sight mounted on the lowest position.

Yes, I do have a peep, but I have always regarded it as a fixed sight, as the distance between my mouth (where I anchor) and my eye, does not change, and moving it up or down more than a fraction would be rather like fitting a rifle scope on mounts that were either slightly high or low (those that rifle shoot will understand).

I'll do some experiments with the peep and different sights tomorrow (it's 9.45 pm here), and I'll report back.

· Registered
5,643 Posts
I think your right about it having somthing to do with the design of the newer bows. I am shooting an 08 Ross with a single pin slider. I actually had to make my own bracket becuase the pin would not go low enough. Now I think I am actually having clearance issues when my slider is set for 40 yards. Manager of the archery shop tryed to change my anchor but I have been anchoring the same way for 20 years and am a bit stubborn. Will post a picture when I get home of my homemade bracket.

· Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Three under, you have a rare beastie of a bow there. I'm jealous. :D

I am with you on not wanting to change my anchor either.

I now have the Connie shooting well, but this was at the cost of my Toxonics sight, which I have had to disgard. It has been replaced with a Copper John, Dead Nuts, which I have fabricated a drop bracket for. This has effectively dropped the sight housing by about an inch, and means the whole housing is pretty much centred for my eye. I also moved the peep a little with the old sight, but it has returned to its original (and most comfortable) position with the new sight.

I notice that the PSE Money Maker (like its predecessor) has multiple sight mounting holes. So it looks like PSE are onto something that the other big manufacturers have left behind. I looked at making a bracket to drop the sight mount, but the shape of the riser on the Connie will not allow it.

So, I have my solution, although it is one I am not that happy about.

Does anyone have an e-mail address for the CEO of Bowtech? I would rather like to voice my opinions (politely) to him, both about the Connie and also the non-availability of suitable longer draw finger bows in his 09 lineup. At the rate they are going, I'll be a confirmed PSE shooter in 2010 :mad:

· Registered
5,643 Posts
This Ross is much better than I will ever be. It's unfortunate the company fell apart before they were able to put more 37's out.
I am just curious. Are single pin sliders an option for your sport? I have developed a pet peeve for pins that are not centered in the housing which is why both my bows have the single pin now.

· Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This Ross is much better than I will ever be. It's unfortunate the company fell apart before they were able to put more 37's out.
I am just curious. Are single pin sliders an option for your sport? I have developed a pet peeve for pins that are not centered in the housing which is why both my bows have the single pin now.
I believe Ross will be releasing a 37 / 38" ATA bow in 2009.

I shoot in Compound Limited class of NFAS. This means I cannot use an adjustable sight, which is why I have always used a five pin. I am not a fan of the Dead Nuts sight, it is OK, but I prefer Toxonics. I am going to have a look at the Trophy Ridge GS sight, as it may be possible to make a neater drop bar to keep the sight body centred.

Brian. I have moved the peep, but in order to get all five pins grouped correctly for 20 to 60 yards, the peep has to be in a position where I can no longer see through it.

I believe this whole issue is caused by manufacturers designing bows for release shooters and forgetting that there are still some 'throwbacks' out here in consumer land who use our fingers :) When I compared the sight mounting holes on the 08 Connie to the 05, it all became clear. I have seen a 07 Connie on the circuit with a similar mod. I did not give it too much thought until this week when I began to set my bow up.

· Liking Life Unlimited
937 Posts
Neil

if you no longer have use for the 08 Connie then drop me a line :wink:

been thinking of getting one for a while so I may be interested.

I've decided to use my Conquest 4 for spots only and will be digging out the conquest II for 3D until I find a suitable replacement.

Dean

· Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dean.

The 08 is set to become a classic, the last of the Constitutions :)

I'm getting there with it, I just don't think too much of having to modify a sight to make it work for me. If I had not had the Copper John laying about, I would have had to buy a sight especially for the Connie and I think that maybe the Trophy Ridge is the only sight with enough adjustment.

Now if you fancy and 05 Connie...one careful owner, looks like new, only been used on Sundays........:wink:

· Liking Life Unlimited
937 Posts
Now if you fancy and 05 Connie...one careful owner, looks like new, only been used on Sundays........:wink:
Nah it'd have to an 08, I believe they changed the cams slightly in later years (07? and 08) to prevent the cam lean.

Maybe WAS have one in, I know they had a 30-40# shop soiled one there last Sat that would have walked out with me if the limbs were higher poundage :tongue:

I'll have to wait and see what Mathews have for 09 before heading down to WAS again although thinking of trying a Martin Scepter 4 especially for EFAA marked distances.

Whichever way I go it'll have to wait until the new year. Maybe my Conquest II will do the trick once I replace the goddam awful Mathews grip (shrewd on order for it)

cheers

Dean

· Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
WAS had a used 07 with a black riser and smoke flame limbs....NICE! That may have been the one you were looking at. I don't think they have any more 08's left, unless they have brought some more in. I know at the time I bought mine it really was the last one in stock.

Cam lean?? I don't think I have experienced anything like that on mine. That said, at full draw the last place I'm looking is up at the cams (see Limey's pictures).

I have a few bows to clear and then I am also going to consider buying myself a PSE MoneyMaker. Then it will be a battle to see which is best :)

· Liking Life Unlimited
937 Posts
Hi Neil,

not saying the cam lean was bad or even present on every bow, just thought the way the earlier binary systems were cabled it sometimes caused a bit of lean on the cams although the bows still shot as they should.

I think the 08 (and maybe the 07) had a slightly modded binary cam system (centreTrac?) where the cables were either side of the cam instead of on one side (something like that anyway).

Don't think the earlier system was bad just that the system on the later models could be better.

Think I'll
1. Wait to see what Mathews brings us for 09
2. pickup a used 08 constitution off here in the new year

cheers

Dean

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.