Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shoot an old Bear Kodiak Compound (early 90's). I've got the bow maxxed out at 52 pounds according to the bow scale at my local pro shop. The drawlength according to the pro shop is also set to the shortest draw length capable on the bow at just around 28". Limbs are cranked down all the way. My first question is this: Assuming I was able to consistently hit vitals (boradside or quartering away) at 30 yards, is this bow capable of having enough downrange energy to be effective on a whitetail at this distance? From some previous observations at deer I've shot, I'm not sure...I am also shooting 2114 alum (I think I'd have to double check) with feathers with 100 gr broadhead. I keep my broadheads as sharp as I know how. I want to be sure my "self-imposed" limitations are realistic based on my equipment. Any of you older-bow shooters have any experience that will help me feel better about this and perhaps give insight on effective range? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
ok

I would say you will be fine. Stay off of the shoulder and w/razor sharp broadheads you will have a good chance of a pass through at close yardage and enough penetration at 30 yds to get the head in the boiler room. 26 years of bowhunting and I have only taken one deer at 40 yds and one at 30. Most EVERYTING else taken at around 12 to 15 yds. Shoot close and have fun.
Greg

·
Registered
13,158 Posts
Just fine, just remember, thousands upon thousands of deer were taken with 50 pound RECURVE bows without problems....so a 52# COMPOUND bow is PLENTY for whitetails....and personally, at 30 yards, more than adequate.

I dunno what has given the 'gurus' the idea that you need 60 pounds peak or more to hunt pronghorn, white-tail, mulies, and elk....MOST shooters cannot effectively and accurately handle that much weight anyways, so the extra poundage becomes an accuracy liability instead of a help anyhow.

Shot placement and sharp broadheads are the keys..>NOT poundage.

IMHO, pie plate accuracy at 30 yards is NOT ADEQUATE prowress and if a person is only keeping them in an 8" circle at 30 yards...they have no business taking a 30 yard shot....the REAL vital is much smaller than that...

field14:tongue: :wink:

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Doin't see why not

I used to shoot the 70# stuff but not any more. Had a shouldar operation so i just got everything down around the 53# range now. I have a Alpine StelthForce set at 53# maxed out. I doin't shoot any further than 30 either and get pass throughs too. Sounds like you are right in the ball park with your set up. AC

·
Registered
703 Posts
52# should work fine with good placement and even without full pass through your still gonna kill a whitetail just might have to do a bit more tracking. :wink:

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Go for it 52 will do.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
2 years ago my son took a ram at 40 yards and another at 30 and a few hogs at 20 and he did so with a 40# compound and a magnus stinger with 25" arrows.

Don't even worry about it and don't even hug the shoulder :wink:

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
go huntin and dont worry,a couple years back i was shootin the exact set up as yours only i have a mathews feathermax,i was even using the 2114s with a 100 grain head, i got deer every year with complete pass threws and good blood trails.stay off the shoulders and put it in the boiler room and youll have no problems.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Go to Google.com and search for kinetic energy....you will find that it does not take much to kill a deer. most of these newer bows will shoot and kill elk and moose if need be....you should not have any problems

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I think you'll be just fine with 52#

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
My youngest son took his buck last year pulling 35 lbs. Deer went about 30-35 yards. Deer was 22 yards away. Shot placement is always the key. Even pulling 70 lbs.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Your bow will be fine

My first deer was shot with a 45# Bear recurve using a COT Zwicky Black Diamond broadhead, the arrow when through the deer a stuck into a tree. I thought I had missed because I saw the arrow in the tree but when retreving the arrow I saw the blood trail and found the deer 50 yards away. I now check every shot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks!

Thanks for all the input. I'm more confident now in my equipment capabilities, and that's a huge good thing!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts