Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a new bow for recreational shooting and 3D when I retire, which is soon. Just getting back archery this after a long absence.

I have been searching but would welcome any input in case I missed something.

- uses, recreational archery at our local club and eventually 3D (not serious about competition)
- don't need a hunting draw weight
- would spend up to $1,000.00, but if I don't have to pay that much, that's fine too, but don't want to wait 6 to 12 months for a custom bow
- want a 68" or 70" bow, my draw is 30"

I have been intending to buy an ILF but delays in their availability here has given me pause to look at options. The ILF is one of the few options to obtain the length I am looking for in a recurve.

I am used to an older, one piece 68" recurve target bow, but both it and an ILF will not conform to our 3D equipment category for trad. This was not necessarily a problem for me because I planed to shoot non-competitively, though it would be a problem if I change my mind and want to compete, later on.

Ontario OAA rule quote, bolding is mine;

22.19.11 Traditional – TRD (m/f) or TRD (m) & TRD (f)
22.19.11.1 Any type of traditional Recurve or longbow may be used.
22.19.11.2 The bow must be shot with a glove, finger tab or bare fingers.
22.19.11.3 A sight is not allowed.
22.19.11.4 Stabilizers are not allowed.
22.19.11.5 String and face walking is not allowed.
• A single anchor point shall be used.
• While shooting the archer must touch the arrow with the index finger against the nock.
22.19.11.6 The arrow must be shot from the shelf or hand with no elevated rest. Only a piece of leather or
similar material 1/8 inch thick or less is allowed on the arrow shelf.

·
Registered
700 Posts
If you want a top quality one peice longbow you need a Fox archery bow! Ron king is hands down "one of the best" quality Bowyers I've seen. I have owned 2 of his bows. The triple crown and royle crown are both fantastic examples of his work and perform excellent!

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick replies.

Nice but they look like custom bows so I expect the delivery would take a while.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I recently picked up a 66" 42#@30" Omega Imperial on eBay. They don't come up often but this is proof that it happens. Fantastic bow. Incredibly smooth draw feels like about a 35 - 38#. Natural shooter that I elevated over 5 other longbows I have. I have about 40 bows and if I had to take off into the wilds, this is likely the bow I would take.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
Omega Imperial with micarta. It's custom, but not a long wait.
You could shoot your existing bow off the shelf in the meantime.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did find this bowyer on our side of the border. https://kirkwoodarchery.com/

I am not familiar with them but their products look "pretty" :wink:

At 66" they are just a bit shorter than the minimum 68" I was looking for.

They will make them down to 30#, so 35# would not be a prob.

Price is $450 to $550 Can., depending if you want exotic wood.

Wait time is advertised as 12 weeks, not bad.

Another consideration.

Kirkwood Longbows.PNG

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
That's not a bow I'd pick if competition was the goal.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's not a bow I'd pick if competition was the goal.
Actually, in the starting post on this thread, I mentioned I was looking for a new bow for recreational shooting and 3D.

I am not sure how competitive I plan to get at the 3D, I have had almost 5 decades of trapshooting competition experience and feel like I want to kick back a bit, and relax.

Are you referring to 3D competition, or another class of competition? A bow like this would meet all the requirements of our Provincial archery Association's Trad 3D requirements.

• While shooting the archer must touch the arrow with the index finger against the nock.
22.19.11.6 The arrow must be shot from the shelf or hand with no elevated rest. Only a piece of leather or

Not trying to argue, I am just interested in learning more.

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,247 Posts
The Omega Imperial fits your requirements. The Fox Triple Crown is the gold standard of competition bows but was a bit pricey for me at the time. I went with a 70 inch Falco Trophy. The Trophy has a conventional grip.

The Falco Force is a bit more expensive and has a pistol grip like the Fox Triple Crown. Falco added a couple of target bow customization's, two carbon layers, and a heavier riser.

Falco bows are an excellent value. They are made in Estonia and very popular in Europe where there is a lot of interest in longbow competition.

They delivered exactly when they said they would, which if I recall, was around 12 weeks.

If I were to get a new longbow I would seriously consider a 70 inch Omega Imperial since Kegan is now making one that long.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Omega Imperial fits your requirements.
Yeah, after studying them a bit more, I see that the grip shape is more contoured on the Omega Imperial than on the Kirkwood which I would likely prefer, having shot recurves.

The extra length, over the 66", is also a bonus, for me, too.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
Length, mass and grip shape are important factors for a bow that you want to be accurate with.
That and Kegan the bowyer behind Omega is a long draw guy.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Length, mass and grip shape are important factors for a bow that you want to be accurate with.
Thanks, that makes sense.

From my own example, I have a little used 41#, 62" Martin Hunter that I bought new in 1993. It has not been shot a lot, due to other activities and lack of opportunity.

The grip shape is nice on it but I far prefer my "vintage" Yamaha YG68, the 68", 35# early 1970's target bow.

True, the Hunter has a 6# heavier draw, but even with that taken into account, the Yamaha is so smooth and enjoyable to shoot.

I have to be careful here since I will be retired likely in 2 months. Things are taken care of, I won't be poor but I feel in retirement, I don't want to spend $100's on the wrong purchase.

So I appreciate your comments.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Looking for a new bow for recreational shooting and 3D when I retire, which is soon. Just getting back archery this after a long absence.

I have been searching but would welcome any input in case I missed something.

- uses, recreational archery at our local club and eventually 3D (not serious about competition)
- don't need a hunting draw weight
- would spend up to $1,000.00, but if I don't have to pay that much, that's fine too, but don't want to wait 6 to 12 months for a custom bow
- want a 68" or 70" bow, my draw is 30"

I have been intending to buy an ILF but delays in their availability here has given me pause to look at options. The ILF is one of the few options to obtain the length I am looking for in a recurve.

I am used to an older, one piece 68" recurve target bow, but both it and an ILF will not conform to our 3D equipment category for trad. This was not necessarily a problem for me because I planed to shoot non-competitively, though it would be a problem if I change my mind and want to compete, later on.

Ontario OAA rule quote, bolding is mine;

Are there other rules that would exclude ILF bows? You may be able to find a riser like the ones from https://www.cdarchery.com/ that are designed to shoot off the shelf. I'm not sure how the 1/8inch leather thing would apply for spacing out for centershot though.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are there other rules that would exclude ILF bows?
No, oddly not, rules can be funny sometimes on what is, and is not acceptable.

There is also the option of going to these shoots and shot a "Non-competitive"; this would be with an ILF with a rest and plunger, or my old Yamaha YG68 with an elevated rest, since it has a flat shelf.

This is something I was prepared to do, I just like to shoot, I had almost 5 decades of competition in trapshooting, so I am ready to shoot something a bit more laid back..

I was ready to go ahead and buy a target ILF combination of a 25" riser with medium limbs, which would result in a 68" bow.

There is a delay in the shop's shipment of ILF's, giving me time to reappraise my options; still may wind up with the ILF, we'll see.

I can always sell a non-archery "toy" later on and buy another bow.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
Guarantee you win with a CD riser and it will be banned next year.

You can always shoot your Yamaha off the shelf. Or get a 23-25" wooden riser that takes ILF limbs (this is what I'd do).

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can always shoot your Yamaha off the shelf.
The Yamaha has a flat shelf, though, no radius. I don't want to make any permanent modifications to it since it is very good condition.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
You don't have to make any modifications to shoot your Yamaha off the shelf. We were shooting off flat shelves back in the 60's without issue. You can use one of those felt funiture pads or make a shelf bump. I use a homemade shelf bump on my hunting and 3D outfits.

Rest.jpg

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You don't have to make any modifications to shoot your Yamaha off the shelf. We were shooting off flat shelves back in the 60's without issue. You can use one of those felt funiture pads or make a shelf bump. I use a homemade shelf bump on my hunting and 3D outfits.

View attachment 6524535
Thanks, I have thought of something like that but I don't think it would fly with this part of the rules;

1 - 20 of 23 Posts