Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a good cold opening morning here in Indiana, and wasn't sure if I dressed for it. I got to my tree at 5a, and was ok untill that sun started peeking through. It got cold, started flexing my arms, legs and butt muscles to try to keep circulation going. It wasn't frigid by any means, around 35, but a long sleave cotton and a flannel just didnt cut it. At one point around 6:30 I had quivered my arrow and tied my drop string to my bow to let it down, out of the tree, but I talked myself out of that, thank god. At about 7:15 I heard something moving in the thickett behind me, so I slowly turned to identify. To my suprise I saw head gear moving straight toward me. Slowly sttod up, deer walked behind tree, drew bow, whistled, WACKED. Double lunger at about 27 yds, the buck jumped straight up and landed on his chest, then got up and ran about 15 yds, stopped and just stood there and bled, alot. He then wagged his tail and started walking toward the thicket again. I knocked another arrow and waited for him to stop, which he did. He was starting to hang his head and his tail wasn't wagging anymore, but I double lunged him again anyway. Tracking consisted of stepping over a few logs and walking about 25 yds. Awesome hunt. forever engrained in my memory. 8 pointer about 16 in inside spread, 160 lbs. I have pic but is to big for archery talk to handle.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Congrats

Cograts , what a way to start the season off!! Email me the pic if ya would so i can start to foam at the mouth,opening day is'nt untill the 15th here,the longest 13 dys of the yr

·
74,535 Posts
Congradulations

Nice opening day deer. Way to go.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can't wait until tomorrow! I can't wait until tomorrow! I can't wait until tomorrow! I can't wait until tomorrow!

I am leaving work a couple of hours early just to have time to go over everything and make sure I have my stuff together. It going to be in low forties in the morning. Did I say that I can't wait. I wish I could leave work Now.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Congrats on the bowkill. That's a very nice deer. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Oh yeah Congradulations. I am so excited about tomorrow I forgot about the congradulations. Sorry.:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!

Now, that's the way to open a season! :D

I'm sooooo excited right now I can hardly stand myself... tomorrow is my very first opening day. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts