Archery Talk Forum banner

Lumenok with Light Arrows?

1127 Views 19 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Black_Titan
I would really like to build my own arrows, and I want to try lumenok because if an arrow flies over the target, it’s as good as gone in the range I go to, even with neon wraps. I currently have Easton Vector 1400 spine arrows, which are .206 OD, but it looks like lumenok nocks don’t fit that size. The one I originally wanted to build from is Easton Inspire 1000, which is .220 and still doesn’t fit, according to the lumenok nock selector.

Are there any other lightweight arrows similar to those two that would fit a lumenok nock?
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
936 Posts
With arrows the ID is standardized. when sizing components it's based on ID.

In other words withing the same model arrow the OD will change spine weight to spine weight BUT the ID will remain the same.

· Registered
5,271 Posts
These Deepower nocks are a great deal. I haven't used the style with the black switch, but I did use the other style on some VAP SS shafts and they were dependable and worked great. I didn't like them for hunting because the little collar/sleeve that activates the light would slide forward and turn it on when the d loop knot rubbed it, but otherwise great nocks.

· Registered
4,469 Posts
Very simply ,based on the last time I looked. They have a nock for all the more standard arrow size inside diameters without a bushing
.246 GT mock
.245 S nock
.234 H nock
.204 A nock
.166 G nock---- arrows require the adapter they sell.

Lumennoks must be of just the right friction in the shaft for them to work well. They are pulled back from the fully seated position to break the electrical circuit that lights them. When fired, they push into the shaft to bottom out and little wires contact the arrow shaft and current flows through the arrow to light the nock. You have to wiggle them back just far enough so the wires do not contact the shaft to turn them off. They are easy to use if you have just the proper relationship on the friction present between the shaft inside and the nock. Too tight a pain, too loose a pain....just right is nice. You can buy batteries and replace them in the nock.

· Registered
5,271 Posts
I've steered away from Lumenok brand because of the way they operate, and I sure wouldn't want to add on a long adapter to use them with .166 shafts.

· Registered
731 Posts
These Deepower nocks are a great deal. I haven't used the style with the black switch, but I did use the other style on some VAP SS shafts and they were dependable and worked great. I didn't like them for hunting because the little collar/sleeve that activates the light would slide forward and turn it on when the d loop knot rubbed it, but otherwise great nocks.

^^^This. These lighted nocks are really good.

· Registered
317 Posts

I ordered a set of the slide switch deepower g lighted nocks and they all worked until I shot them. I only shoot 70 lbs at about 280 fps, so not excessively fast. All nocks but one would not turn back on after shooting the very first shot. The force broke something internal. One would work after the first shot, but I took it off the arrow after a 75% failure rate. YMMV, but I won't use these for 0.166. I want to know my lighted nock works when I'm hunting, otherwise I would just use standard nocks.

I did at the same time order the green version of the aluminum deepower because I've used them in the past and amazon had them in my preferred color of green. They are sturdy, and typically last pretty good. I ordered two packs, 8 total. I have 4 useable lighted nocks from that purchase. 2 were DOA, 1 the switch was so tight it would not activate, and one stopped working shortly after I shot it a few times. The other 4 are awesome...super bright and work like a charm. Just keep in mind I can get 3 nocturnals that have about 95% working rate in my experience for cheaper than two packs of deepower aluminum nocks. I will use the deepower I have, but nocturnal are pretty much the only reliable at 0.166.

If I didn't have 18 really good flying arrows at 0.166 ID, I would be switching to 0.204 ID arrows just for the fact the components are a bit more reliable with more choices. In fact, I am sort of convincing myself that when I run out of arrows in a couple years, I will switch over to 0.204 ID.

· Registered
135 Posts
Something else to consider with the lighted nocks is your point weight on that particular arrow setup. If your point only weighs 75grains, (looks like glue-ins on the Easton website) and if fletching+nock adapter+lighted nock weights like 50-60 grains total you might get some flight issues. Granted it’s only field tips so it also might not matter.

· Registered
55,478 Posts
There are IMHO better choices than Lumnocks. I use Nockturnals. More reliable for lighting everytime, can't loose the connection, easy off. BUT I wouldn't use them for target shooting, too expensive for that. Mine are only used for hunting.
As far as missing the target, don't. Or put up a backstop.

· Registered
317 Posts
One thing I forgot to add, is that the aluminum deepower 0.166 nocks in green are brighter than the nocturnals of the same color. If only deepower could get their QA right and consistently send 4 good nocks in each package, then they'd have a real winner for 0.166 ID arrows. The nock fit is exactly the same as the nocturnals, the deepower fit tighter in the arrow (which I like), while the nocturnal weight is 14 grains vs. 25 grains for the deepower.

· Registered
317 Posts
One last comment. I reached out to the seller today on amazon (Ellens archery) about the defective aluminum nocks. Within hours and in their very first response, they volunteered to send me a new package. If they all work, then I did in fact get my money's worth on the 2 packages I originally bought. Really good customer service, IMO.

· Registered
317 Posts
Another update on the aluminum base deepower. Got my extra package from the seller. They made good on the defective ones. Great customer service.

Now for the bad. TLDR synopsis….these nocks flex at the plastic to metal base connection during the shot and you might not see a difference with field points but it is enough with broadheads to make you miss by a couple inches at 20 yards.

I have been shooting these for a few weeks. I couldn’t tell a difference in poi on these while shooting around with field points. My groups haven’t been amazing lately, but not bad. I decided to double check my broadheads a few days ago and they were not hitting with my field points. Not terrible, but a couple inches off at 20 yards. About 3” to 5” at 40 yards. I used to be dead on at 50 yards with 4 or 5 different fixed broadheads, so I thought maybe my bow fell out of tune, which was disappointing. I had a new set of strings sitting there waiting for after the season , so I figured if I was going to go about retuning, I might as well put them on as part of the process. I also had a set of 300 spine arrows with a little less weight up front than my 250 spines that I wanted to tune when I put on this new string. I put on the new string , and nothing is getting me consistent results tuning my bow with the new string and arrows, which had me pulling my hair out this weekend. I went all the way back to bare shaft on paper. In this process I swap nocks out. One deepower for another. I get a little different result. Both spun fine but maybe the first wasn’t exactly true I thought. Then I decide to compare my 250 bareshaft to my 300. Mind you the 250 has a standard aae nock on it. Completely different tear. I thought “no way they should be that different in tear. Maybe a slight different vertical but not way different left to right and opposite vertical tear.”

Next shot with the lighted nock 300 arrow and the tear changed dramatically for that arrow from just the previous shot. ***. I’m looking at my bow and then I go to pull that arrow…the nock is visibly bent…eureka moment. That’s when I realized these nocks must be flexing during the shot but not bending. I put on a standard aae nock on the 300s and suddenly my bare shaft tear is almost identical to the 250 spine tear. Just a slight difference in the vertical amount. I quickly finish up the bareshaft tune to get bullet with the 300s which gives just a ever so slight (as expected) nock low tear on the 250 spine arrow. All is well again. I just need light tomorrow to finish the broadhead fine tuning at distance. For grins I put a nocturnal on that 300 bareshaft to see if there was a noticeable paper tear difference from the aae…perfect bullet aae, nearly perfect bullet nocturnal. It is so extremely minor difference that I’m confident that I wouldn’t see a difference in broadhead flight even at distance if you take the extra weight into account.

I have a bunch of these deepower nocks that Are only good for target markers in my 3d targets. I won’t use them ever again. Sucks because I really wanted to. Nocturnal back to being the only lighted nock I trust on a 4mm arrow. I will regain full trust in them tomorrow after or while I broadhead tune.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
317 Posts
One last update on these deepower lighted nocks. As stated earlier, I won't order them again for micro diameter arrows nor would I recommend either version of the deepower for micro diameter (0.166). The only nocks I've tried that work for micro are the nocturnals.

However, I have recently switched to 0.204 arrows (x nocks) because of the lack of durable, quality components for the micro diameter arrows. I took a flier on the 4 pack of the deepower lighted nocks with the switch on the side.
Liquid Gas Font Circle Plastic

They have bushings for larger arrows, but they are perfect fit for .204 (Victory RIP, in my case). When I say perfect fit, they snap in tight. It's a perfect fit on my Victory RIPs. They have flown very well, are extremely bright, turn on every time they launch, and the switch works perfect. The switch is tight...you have to really dig in with your thumbnail to turn them off. This is how I want the switch to work. It takes decent effort to turn them off, but not so much that I have to use a tool. These things for .204 arrows are awesome. I've shot them for 2 weeks now and every single one of them has worked without fail. 4 for less than $20...best deal on lighted nocks for the .204 arrow size, IMO.

· Registered
718 Posts
One last update on these deepower lighted nocks. As stated earlier, I won't order them again for micro diameter arrows nor would I recommend either version of the deepower for micro diameter (0.166). The only nocks I've tried that work for micro are the nocturnals.

However, I have recently switched to 0.204 arrows (x nocks) because of the lack of durable, quality components for the micro diameter arrows. I took a flier on the 4 pack of the deepower lighted nocks with the switch on the side.
View attachment 7749387

They have bushings for larger arrows, but they are perfect fit for .204 (Victory RIP, in my case). When I say perfect fit, they snap in tight. It's a perfect fit on my Victory RIPs. They have flown very well, are extremely bright, turn on every time they launch, and the switch works perfect. The switch is tight...you have to really dig in with your thumbnail to turn them off. This is how I want the switch to work. It takes decent effort to turn them off, but not so much that I have to use a tool. These things for .204 arrows are awesome. I've shot them for 2 weeks now and every single one of them has worked without fail. 4 for less than $20...best deal on lighted nocks for the .204 arrow size, IMO.
This has been my experience with these as well. I switched from Nockturnal to the Deepowers due to inconsistent nock type on the nockturnals. I had a bunch of X nocks that were a perfect fit between my nocking points, and a perfect fit on my string. Ordered some more and they were x nocks, but different sized ears that wouldn't fit between my knots, and way too tight fit on my string. Supposedly these are the "new" version.

The deepowers have been working great, and are even a little lighter than the nockturnals. Switches work perfect, they activate every time, and tuned up great.

BT

1 - 20 of 20 Posts