Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Mathews LX and have a question about centershot and sight line.

My center shot didnt fall anywhere close to teh 13/16 like the manual suggest. How does your arrow line up when you down the center of the string. At first it was well outside with the 13/16 from riser setup and know it much closer to in line with the string line.

Also my sight pins are well outside to the left of my line thought the arrow down the string line.

I would appreciate your input from the fellow LX shooters.

I've shot hoyt in the past and it appears setting up the bow may be intirely different

Look forward to your insight.

Thanks
Josh

·
Registered
212 Posts
My LX is at 7/8" for center shot and on all of my Mathews the pins are to the left of center by up to 3/16" looking from behind the string, but they shoot great. I think the 13/16" is just a starting point and it will vary per shooter, how the bow fits in your hand. Good luck. ;)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I have my LX set-up to shoot just a tad nock hi-left, and it measures out to a perfect 13/16". My sights line up to the left of centershot. I have read many threads about this, and the majority of shooters are experiencing the same thing---their sights are off to the left of centershot. No one seemed to have an explanation for it---it's just one of those quirks of archery I guess. All-in-all I am extremely happy with the accuracy of mine. With my hunting set-up I keep blowing nocks and bushings out to 30yds. I have mine set at 55#, 30" draw, 65% letoff, and shoot a X7 2312 arrow that weighs 410grs at 260fps. I use a Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter rest.

·
NC ASA Director
36,063 Posts
You might try taking the grip off and shoot with your hand on the riser and see if that helps. ;)

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Instead of using the 13/16 measurement, try this:

1)Nock an arrow on your bow.
2)Looking down the arrow from behind the string, line up the string with the center of your arrow.
3)Once your string is down the center of your arrow, line those up with your stabilizer (you may have to tip the top of your bow back to see the string, arrow and stabilizer, if you shoot a short stabilizer)
4)Your string running down the center of your arrow should line up just right of center on your stabilizer. (right handed shooters) If not, move your rest so that it does.

Using this method shoots perfect bullet holes when paper testing on 70% of the bows I setup.

As far as your sight is concerned...Your pins will always lineup on the left side of your string on all Mathews bows. It is becuase of the path the string takes from draw position to the rested position. The cams on Mathews bows do not line up in perfect center of the bow and actually caused the bow to shoot right, causing your sight to line up left of center. Look at your cam. As your string runs down to the cam, the cam groove for the string is actually on the left side of center. Then draw your bow back. Pull your head back and look at the string and riser. The riser actually points slightly to the left and the string points to the right. This is because of the cam groove for the string not being in the exact center of the bow. All this causes the sight to be lined up to the left.

What the heck did I just say? :confused:

·
NC ASA Director
36,063 Posts
I use Crusher's method also. I always look at the arrow from the top and see if the sides of the arrow are parallel with the sides of the stabilizer. It's a real good starting point.

It always comes down to getting the broadheads and fieldpoints hitting the same left and right for me though in the end.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
crusher, appreciate the time you took.

with the new v-lock limb system they have eliminated the bottom cam not aligning with the top cam by moving the bottom limb slightly to the right allowing the bottom cam to align with the top cam..

this to me seems like something great but they choose not to advertise it for some reason

thanks again
josh

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
If you look on the LX, they off-set the limbs. What this did was solve a non-existant (perceived) problem. The string now tracks parallel to the riser -- however this was never a problem and had no affect on shotability of the bow (although, you might hear some people claim it is a problem with 1-cams, it is not at all). It did however take the limbs out of the same plane, which I feel is a step in the wrong direction. I also feel that this now causes even more cable-guard induced torque, because to get the string parallel, the cable has to be moved further. If you also notice, they no longer serve the area on the cable that used to separate instantly.

The reason the pins are to the left of your string at rest (for a right hander), is due to the cable guard induced torque. When you draw the bow, the cable guard increases the torque on the riser as the cable is loaded. This causes the riser to torque a little clockwise (looking from above). Thus, at full draw, the pins are now lined up with the string.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Although i have not had the bow for very long, i believe it shoots well. I was a little curious to the setup and how much the sight pin was positioned to the left on my sight line.
The only negative is the bow is a little bit louder than my ultratec.

thanks for your input

1 - 10 of 10 Posts