Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine bought a new LX. After only 3 weeks the bottom limb came apart. He took it to the shop and was told his was the fifth one to come back for the same thing. Is anyone else having this problem?:eek:

·
Registered
24,470 Posts
nope not me...and i have thousands of shots logged on mine...this week alone to boot....

matter fact....just ordered my second lx to use for the upcoming deer slay......so im not scared of any limbs breaking.....besides...i could always put some barnsdale limbs on it:D

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I've sold a lot of LX's this year so far, and have had 3 bows come back because of this. The limb is splintering where the limb starts to taper. I talked to the tech guy at Mathews today and asked him why this was happening, and he said they caught one of the guys putting the bows together, beating the limbs into the pockets, which was probably the cause. I dont know how much validity there is to that, just what i was told. Personally, I think there is so much pressure on those limbs being almost parallel, that the stress causes them to do that.

Aaron

·
Registered
820 Posts
Actually I shoot an AR 34 now and just haven't changed the handle yet....Nothing against Mathews as I've owned quite a few of them. Just relaying my personal knowledge of recent limb problems.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Dang dude...You must have been sitting on this thread....:D OK OK So you shoot an AR and we are still suppossed to believe that.....:D ....;)

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
What Pound limbs?

What pound limbs are exploding? 60? 70? Both?

I'm wondering. The limbs are the "carved" or "ground" fiberglass versions, instead of fully molded. In otherwords, they start with a full thickness limb, they then grind the limb to achieve the desired poundage. This actually cuts the fibers that run lenthwise in the limb, and in a sense weaken it. If the camo was gone, you'd actually see the ends of the fibers that were cut off. Due to the parallel limb design, the angle of the riser there may just not be enough beef in that area to take it, or a possibly the 60# versions have slightly less material in the location of the rocker. That coupled with the bottom limb having the power cam, it might get "pulsing" loads during execution of the shot. If a pulse ran up that limb at the wrong time (like whipping a long extension cord, only much much smaller) it might be banging against the riser causing the exposed fibers to start to come apart. Once that happens its all over.

This is purely speculation on my part. I remember when those style limbs first came out they did have problems with limb strength. PSE always used fully molded limbs (magnaglass?) where as Pearson used the "ground" versions.

Any ideas?

Bo

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have sold a bunch of LX this year have not had any come back for any warranty work at all, includeing my own. Great bow.:) :)

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I have not seen any "explode", but I have seen 3 cracked also this year(1 was an older model) I do know of 4 guys that had warranty work done beacause of the roller guards though. Either way, they will fix it for you. They are good bows, replace the limb and shoot. I doubt you will have any more problems with it. Good Luck!:)

·
Registered
104 Posts
PEPPERHEAD

With the limbs on the LX being so short when anyone is putting the bows into a press to put a peep in or what ever else , are they backing the limbs off first ? I know that the limbs on the Q2,Q2XL and SQ2 were this way because of being so short. I think that the LX has these short limbs also. Mathews always put a sticker on the string statng this from the ones that I have seen on the racks. Also leaving bows in trunk or truck when it is hot is the worst thing that you can do to limbs.

·
Registered
33,384 Posts
I had three sets break in as many years...

I was very careful about pressing my bows and I never left them in a hot car or truck. I had two sets splinter along the edge of the limb, but my last set just blew completely in half at only 57#'s. I can understand a limb breaking, but Mathews lost me when they only replaced one limb. Bow never shot the same. Besides there are plenty of good bows out after mathews. Surprised they haven't done more to stay current.

·
Registered
104 Posts
emlynthegrey

I have been bow hunting for 30 years. I started with a Bear recurve, my first compound was a Browning Stalker. I then shot PSE for many years, I have shot Mathews since 1997. In all those years I have never experienced a limb failure from any manufacture, nor have any hunting companions. I do know that things do happen from time to time with anything that is manufactured. I also know that a majority of limb issues when it comes to limbs are self inflicted or neglect from what our local pro shop says regardless of bow company, he sells PSE, Bear and Mathews. I believe that most compound bow manufactures have super warranties today, dont they ?

·
Registered
621 Posts
You hit that right on the button TOPPIN (selfinflicted) is the case many times I have had customers come in with limb splinters that obeiousley was hit on something saying there limb was cracked and that is not even a crack, have had several in this summer where limbs had exploded and I asked the people where they were storing their bows here were some of the ansewrs,

IN my attic where it is 150 to 200 degrees
In my car or truck where it is 150 to 200 degress
In my garage where it is 100 degress

And then they wounder why there limbs break and there strings strect now I am not saying this is the case with every limb out their, but there is a lot of it going on.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am a happy Mathews shooter and would not have anything else. I did have a limb crack on a Featherlight in 1998, 2 days later I had new ones on it. They not only make great bows but they have great service. This is part of the reason I bought a LW.

·
Registered
339 Posts
These are the kinda threads that make people suspect.

Meaning the guy always post my firend had or my cousin and then you never see them post back what action the company took to remedy the problem.

For the record I have a 50# LX shoot it just about every week and have had no problems.:)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Suspect

Call it what you want. I saw it with my own eyes. I am in no way bashing Mathews. I own a few of them. But I will say I bought a new Pro-Tec at the same time he bought the new LX. And yes I have been letting him have it. No the bow was not in his attic, or his hot car. It hangs on the rack with all the others. So be suspect if you want, the LIMB CRACKED! As a Hoyt owner and a Mathews owner, some of you Mathews guys need to get the chip off of your shoulder. He took it to the shop and of course they ordered new limbs. The shop is where he was told they were having some problems with the limbs. Maybe us Southern boys are just too strong.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts