Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my LX on Fri. THe bow shoots great and very accurate. I could shoot it all day, very sweet bow. Only thing I notice is a string twang. And I really don't want to put some cat whiskers or similar on it. I did put some on to see if it took away the twang and it did. Any advice on taming the twang.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Put the string silencers back on or give the string a couple of twists

·
Registered
455 Posts
String leeches

Make sure they have the kevlar insert or you will go through them in a hurry.

What kind of release are you using? D-loop? are your nocks the right size?

Jim G,

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
You shouldn't have to put string silencers on them, that is why mathews put the string dampeners on the bows. Your dampeners must not be coming in contact with the string enough. My guess is that your string is too short (made or too many twists). If your limbs are over flexed, your dampeners brackets will rotate in, toward the riser. This will take the pressure off the string dampeners not allowing them to do their job.

My friends Legacy shoots as quiet without string silencers and limb dampeners as my Q2 with all the dampeners and silencers.

·
NC ASA Director
36,063 Posts
See if someone can hear it when you shoot it, say a couple of feet away. Maybe it is not that noticable.

Just a thought.

Mine does the same thing, but when my friends shot it, I can't hear a thing.

They say that it is real quiet when I shoot it also.

If all else fails, string leeches to the rescue.

It doesn't hurt to make it as quiet as possible. I put the Stealth limb savers on mine also. ;)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I think some guys are missing the point.... maybe the legacy or the lx are quieter than previous matthews bows and i am shooting an lx myself but if you want to quiten it down as much as possible go ahead and put whiskers on the string and maybe even limb savers on the limbs.... remember you cant make one oo quiet.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
The point is...if the bow is setup correctly, it should not be making a string twang!

It should be quiet without all the additions. Surely, the additional silencers will help even more, but it surely isn't neccessary.

Having to add the silencers is covering up an obvious problem.

If you want the QUICK fix, add the string silencers. If you want the RIGHT fix, tune and adjust the bow correctly so the string dampeners are being used the way they were intended. Mathews wouldn't have put them on if they thought you wouldn't need to use them.

As I always say...If your not going to do it right, don't bother doing it at all!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
hmm thats a new one on me.. didnt know you could get a bow too quiet to hunt with.. yes matthews did put those on there for a reason but what does it hurt go quieten it down even more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts