Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned in the title I made a dumb mistake being new to traditional and not realizing how much weaker the spine needs to be than a compound and how much a carbon shaft stiffens when you cut it down. For a really old 47 pound at 27 inch ben pearson bushmaster I bought some gold tip traditional .400 spine arrows and cut them to 29 inches. Will these be too stiff now even with lots of point weight. With 100 grain heads they weigh right at 400 grains. With 300 grains up front these arrows would weigh 600 grains which I would be okay with, but I wouldn't wanna go much heavier than that. Would 300 grains up front get me in the ballpark?

·
Registered
20,769 Posts
sheep -

With 300 up front, they might actually be close enough in dynamic spine for gov't work.
But if you think the flight/trajectory will be acceptable, that might be another problem.
The bow itself isn't a speed demon, add a Dacron string (which you need) and a 600 grain arrow, and I doubt you'll be happy with it. I certainly wouldn't be. 400-500 grains would be better.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sheep -

With 300 up front, they might actually be close enough in dynamic spine for gov't work.
But if you think the flight/trajectory will be acceptable, that might be another problem.
The bow itself isn't a speed demon, add a Dacron string (which you need) and a 600 grain arrow, and I doubt you'll be happy with it. I certainly wouldn't be. 400-500 grains would be better.

Viper1 out.
Viper, is there a minimum speed you like Titus strive for fir acceptable trajectory?

·
Registered
794 Posts
If you are only shooting 20 yards it will be good. They will fall off fast past that though. I know a few who shoot that weight for 3d shoots since it tends to be a close range game.

·
Registered
20,769 Posts
sheep -

Me personally, I'm not comfortable under 180 fps, but with an older bow like yours and a 10 grain/pound arrow 160/170 fps should be do-able and adequate. When that bow was make the average broad head weight was 125 - 145 grains. They seemed to work pretty well.

If you're looking for new arrows, think 1916 aluminum. Pretty standard for a 29" arrow from that bow and will show slightly stiff, which is what most people want.

Viper1 out.

Reactions: ol' sheepherder

·
Registered
Compound and bare bow recurve.
843 Posts
1916/s at 30 inches long with a 125 field tip fly good out to twenty yards out of my 45 pound bow that I pull to 48 pounds. The 1916 Easton Legacys weight 10 GPI

·
Registered
445 Posts
You won't know until you try. We can offer opinions til the cows come home but the proof is in the pudding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts