Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
There hasn't been one produced yet for commercial sale which matches the performance of a Beiter plunger. Don't waste your time.

·
Registered
670 Posts
sounds like an awesome idea worthy of home tinkering and the likes. i can imagine a lot more adjustability in the tension, but i can also imagine it attracting the point/pin of the shafts (how magnetic are the points/pins? i know it varies based on the type of SS it's made of...)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Arc Systeme ProMagn magnetic button, available from Alternative. By all reports an excellent implementation of the concept. The earlier models suffered from the fact that the slots cut into the screw barrel to make the adjustment clicker work (stainless steel ball with spring deal) weren't smoothed out at the shoulders causing unnecessary wear and teat. Apparently that's been fixed.

http://alternativess.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/002012.7.3622316093874853959

Around $71.

Chris

·
Registered
288 Posts
sorry, that should have read "unnecessary wear and tear"... :)

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Not seeing the product that is on the market. I don't see it as that complicated a button. I see a beiter type button with the spring removed. A magnet secured to the plunger and an apposing magnet secured to the end cap. The apposing magnets taking the place of the spring.

Is this what they designed?

Tom

·
Registered
288 Posts
tom
yup
c

·
Registered
363 Posts
Arc Systeme ProMagn is fine as long as you don't use it!!!
The action is as slick a Beiter plunger,
But here's the problem with it, is where the threads are cut for the micro click to work on the barrel of the plunger it behaves like a Tap and die cutting metal from the threads of the plunger tension knob and all those metal filings get pulled inside the barrel by the magnets which scratches the inside of the plunger barrel and clogs up the ball bearing and spring of the micro click.

A friend of mine managed to fix this problem with a Dremel tool by rounding off all the straight corners from the threads where they are cut out for the micro click. So if you want one of these you'll need to do the job that should have been done in the factory.

Also if you want to use one of these plungers with a shibuya rest it will not fit you will have to drill out the rest for it to fit.

A micro click magnetic button is a good idea but what Arc System have produced is over priced junk!!!

After all the hassel of using the above button. I went and brought a Beiter plunger it's worth every penny I'm very happy with mine.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm beginning to think Beiter is the way to go. Thanks to all for the input, I'm always looking for something new to try and the magnetic sounds good in theory but we'll wait to see better implementation I guess. I think I'll start another thread asking Shibuya or Beiter? What are the benefits that merit a $110 plunger? Again thanks for the help.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm beginning to think Beiter is the way to go. Thanks to all for the input, I'm always looking for something new to try and the magnetic sounds good in theory but we'll wait to see better implementation I guess. I think I'll start another thread asking Shibuya or Beiter? What are the benefits that merit a $110 plunger? Again thanks for the help.
If you want to know the difference between Beiter and Shibuya plunger its ease of use for setup and tuning the Beiter is the way to go. The plastic of the Beiter plunger is more durable than the plastic Shibuya plunger, Shibuya get round this buy supplying a metal plunger this makes a noise as the arrow is drawn back some people don't like that and some archers have noticed that a metal plunger tip can affect arrow speed although I have not had time to check that although I do know that my bow tune does change slightly when I swapped them around.

If you were to compare them for raw performance I doubt you would see any difference between the two. If you are short of cash the Shibuya is the way to go it will take a little longer to setup but it will do the job my coach has shot 1275+ GENTS FITA scores with one on his bow. If you can afford it get a Beiter you will not be disappointed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts