Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes...I am on Field Staff for Magnus. As of this past year.
But then, for the last decade or so, I was not.

I simply am a fan. And why shouldn't I be? While the cost of many broad heads keeps climbing to ridiculous new heights, the American made Magnus still makes a very dependable, very good quality product with a non-comparable warranty. "Gimmick" if you want to call it that.

You see Magnus stands behind their products with a FREE lifetime replacement GUARANTEE.
If that head gets dull, broken, bent, or you just want to replace it, simply package it up and send it back to the company.

So in essence, while other companies may charge 45.00 or more for three heads you can save about 10.00 with Magnus heads up front for a quality head and never pay for them again unless you lose one.

SO several years ago I made the switch from Thunderheads, Rage (then Rocky Mountain), Sidewinders, Laser Strikes, (now BPS Gator), Savora, Satellite, Razorback 5, and several other broad heads, and I tried the Magnus Stinger.

It was 1999 and I was headed North for my first ever Illinois deer hunt. Most of my hunting prior to this trip had been in the South. So penetration on these smaller cousins was not much of a problem. I was told by my more experienced Northern Hunting buddies that a COC head might be a good idea for these larger bodies brutes. And Stingers were recommended.

I chose the 100 grain 4 blade. And also a couple packs of the Serrated Buzzcuts.

Now almost 19 years later and over 100 kills for data I can honestly give you a really good analysis of these heads performance.

And also a really good analysis of the Magnus Company's performance.

I am sure you all have heard this before but let me chime in. I now own 41 Stingers.Some were gifts, most I purchased. Each year I complete the hunting/practice season, box up my used heads, and send them back for replacement. FREE!!! (not all 41, just the ones I used). And each year I'll add a pack or two to my arsenal.
MAGNUS (an AMERICAN company) stands solidly behind there LIFETIME REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE!!! NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!!

When I started using these heads I was the first in my group to do so. Now almost everyone in the group, or the extended group, has made the switch to Magnus.

And now I am switching again (but not from MAGNUS). Although I thought I NEVER would.

Mike at Magnus (Mike Sohm-owner) has designed and is now selling an improvement to the Stinger. IMO,

It is the Black Hornet.

I've always been a little disappointed with Stinger Blood trails. Although they are RAZOR sharp and very accurate, they were a little lacking in the b/t department.
In all honesty, some of the larger cut diameter mechanicals did a much better job in that department.

Still, Stingers performed very well in all other areas. And for the price...SOLD.

But Mike fixed this problem when he designed and marketed this Black Hornet.

This head resembles a STEALTH BOMBER. When I opened up my first pack I thought no way these things will ever fly out of my rig. Blazers and 280 fps.
I was wrong.

DARTS! BULLETS!!! They fly great!

So I took them to the woods.

First blood was an average doe. Double lung. No real info gleaned there as she fell within sight and a few yards from the shot.

So I killed a few more. 10 more to be exact (hey,Im a FIELD tester).

So after 11 kills this year on about every kind of shot angle imaginable, I am making the switch.

You see, these 4 blade 5 point heads have EIGHT cutting surfaces and FIVE razor sharp points. Both front and back sides of the heads are razor sharp.

I actually don't mind at all if the head stays INSIDE the deer. Because there is all kinds of slicing and dicin going on as that arrow slaps trees and bushes.

And talk about a blood trail. We are talking Freddy Kruger here. Looks like a horror show!

SO there you have it. It is a GREAT broadhead.
I am very pleased with these new Black hornet heads and highly recommend them.

And of course Magnus is a solid Company with an unmatched warranty.

If you are looking to try a great COC head from a great Company, give them a try.

·
Registered
14,256 Posts
They fly great and have a nice blade but the bleeder version has a significant design flaw. The ferrule is very thin where the bleeder is. Makes the head weak.

·
Premium Member
26,863 Posts
Did you shoot them with your Athens bow and the e-z-v sight?.....Mike runs a top end company with excellent customer service....

·
Registered
615 Posts
Their customer service is top notch. I’ve talked to Mike about my bullheads. He was very helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
I shoot them also. I shoot them at 297fps and fly great. Mine were sharp out of package but I stripped them till they glisten and shave like a razor. I have not had a failure of the head or ferrule but I would agree with enkriss that the ferrule is the weak point of the head. I keep 3 of them in my quiver and 2 mechanicals.
Good plug also. Hope ya get many years out of em. With 41 plus I wouldn’t buy anymore ha!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not had an issue with the ferrule.
But the Stinger Buzzcut is definitely NOT my fav!

The main blades on the Buzzcut Stingers are weakened when Magnus serrates them I've spoken to Mike about this and he said he has had only a few complaints.

My problem is really weird I guess. These heads perform well on good hits, even marginal. But if the head hits bone and does not kill quickly, then there is a good chance that the weaker Buzzcut blade may snap and make it very difficult for the arrow to back out because now it becomes in essence, a "barbed" broadhead.. This causes undo suffering of an animal that might survive the hit.
(also a serious problem with some mechanicals).

I have killed hogs with my Stingers as well. Great performance as expected.

BTW, I have owned and shot many different kinds of bows. Presently I'm shooting a 2018 ICON by Bowtech. I had a 2017 last season and really like it.

I am not supported to shoot for any company. But Magnus does let me represent them. Although they have always supported me and everyone else who shoots their products.

This year Magnus sent me a few Black Hornets to try out. I did and am very impressed.

If Magnus took me of their field rep team today I would still use their products!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I should also put in a plug for my bow shop pro. Doc at Harvest Archery in Dayton Tennessee supports me and my buddies with excellent bow tuning and set-ups. He really knows what he is doing and can literally have a bow shooting bullet holes within minutes, out of the box.
If you need a Hoyt, Bowtech, Elite, Diamond, and probably about any other bow, he can set you up!

(moderators-feel free to delete my last post if inappropriate)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I have just switched to the Magnus Snuffer 125 getting away form mechanicals, my only flaw (if you want to call it one) was the sharpness out of the package they seemed a little dull, I have sharpened them to a point were they shave the hair off my arm. I went with Magnus based on reviews in AT, will be trying them on hogs in April. Great review.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I guess I should also put in a plug for my bow shop pro. Doc at Harvest Archery in Dayton Tennessee supports me and my buddies with excellent bow tuning and set-ups. He really knows what he is doing and can literally have a bow shooting bullet holes within minutes, out of the box.
If you need a Hoyt, Bowtech, Elite, Diamond, and probably about any other bow, he can set you up!

(moderators-feel free to delete my last post if inappropriate)
I also second this shop. Went in there when I was just getting into archery. Incredible staff and environment.

·
Registered
37,113 Posts
Been using the Ser Razers 125 grain for three years now with great success. Always flew great for me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Sultan of Smack
5,728 Posts
Mike runs a top notch operation. I’ve been using Buzzcuts since 08-09. Never had an issue with them. They will always be in my quiver.

SCFox

·
Registered
15,954 Posts
I really, really wanted to shoot the Black Hornet Ser Razor last year.

I ordered 2 packs of Ser Razors for my bear hunt directly from Mike at Magnus. When they arrived, they were the regular Black Hornet. They accidentally sent the wrong heads.

I sold them to a friend of mine who wanted to shoot the Reg Black Hornet.

I may try to order some more for 2018.

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
Stone cold killers is what they are!

I love them, don't see switching any time soon.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
No disresprect enkriss but everytime our broadheads come up on a thread you are the one who always puts our heads down. The broadheads are as strong as any other equal broadhead in grain weight, Plus when you damage one we replace it. Thank you

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
No disresprect enkriss but everytime our broadheads come up on a thread you are the one who always puts our heads down. The broadheads are as strong as any other equal broadhead in grain weight, Plus when you damage one we replace it. Thank you
Amen, preach on brother!!! I accidentally ordered 2 blade instead of 4 but I am going to order some 4 blade I think and give the 2 blade to my son or daughter.
Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
102 thank you for your post. Take a look at these photos on our Stinger Buzzcut, the performance on them is always better than our regular Stinger, and they penetrate as good as our smooth edge stinger does. Like any broadhead its not bombproof but I personally in my quiver in this my 38th year bowhunting everything from deer to antelope to elk and hogs, I always have a stinger buzzcut 4 blade and a black hornet ser razor 4 blade in my quiver. Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention in previous post. I will always stick up for our products and for the quality of product we make with the quality materials we use to make our products with. We are not perfect and make mistakes but our broadheads have been proven since 1984. No broadhead made today is indestructible. We do the very best we can every day with American Labor and American materials. Pictures attached are from bowhunters success with the Black Hornet 4 blade and Black Hornet Ser razor 4 blade. Thank you

Attachments

1 - 20 of 66 Posts