Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
The Ranch Fairy
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of shooting bricks and such these days, so that’s fine for breaking Broadheads. Mr Mike Sohm is kind enough to Trust the RF ark review The Magnus Black Hornet Ser Razor. Here’s the results from last night on a solid 190 pounder.

First of all. The shot was a 17 yard tripod shot. Blade Is undamaged, pass through. Arrow has 100 grain Ethics insert - it’s a “heavy dove load” 538 / 15%

The blood trail was steady and substantial. 50 yards and crappie flop.

And finally - “yeah, man, he hit a rib there’s
Like a dozen of them”. He didn’t hit a rib, he center punched one! Ain’t no thang for the hornet!!!! 🐝

Full video review on the RF channel soon!!! Buy some Magnus Black Hornet Ser Razors! Animals hate them!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Look like tough, durable heads. Why did you choose the ser razors over the standard blades? Have you used the regular bladed hornets?
Great shot by the way!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Heard you on the recent DiY Sportsman podcast. Excellent episode that introduced me to you and your arrow philosophy. Really got me thinking about fixing my "Skeet loads."

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
I am using the regular blade Black Hornets this season. They should be easier to sharpen on my Lansky than a serrated blade. They fly great and should have no issues with my 60 and 52 pound bows.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I shot a nice 3.5 yo buck last year with the 125 serr razor. Clipped the head of the shoulder blade with the full depth of one of the main blades. The broadhead and arrow combination was able to keep going in a straight line and give me an exit although the arrow was just hanging out. It fell out in the first 10 yards. The arrow was a gold tip 300 total weight of 500 grains and bow was a 65 lb carbon defiant at 31 in draw.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
20180622_190103.jpg Shot this buck in the high shoulder with a magnus ser razor at 48 yards.

·
The Ranch Fairy
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dropping a reply here, if it gets cut short or is a mess, we’ll, I mean, I am hunting after all!!’

The question about the Ser Razor and the buzzcut feature. I prefer that blade for the absolutely superior edge integrity through the whole animal. The inside of the chistle serrations are sharp and they actually sharpen when you put them on a lansky or whatever method you choose.
Anyway, they consistently shred on the softest and most lethal parts of critters. The best, cut on contact design, due to this edge integrity feature, in the industry. If you’re gonna shoot a double bevel and you want to kill your critter fast, that’s the ticket.
You guys know I’m a big fan of the single bevels. But not everyone wants to jump on that bus.
Magnus Hornet or Buzzcut stinger!

Back to hunting. It’s about pig 30!!

RF OUT

·
The Ranch Fairy
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heard you on the recent DiY Sportsman podcast. Excellent episode that introduced me to you and your arrow philosophy. Really got me thinking about fixing my "Skeet loads."
It’s something to consider.
A jump of 100-150 grains of insert offers nothing but upside, in a hunting situation. “It’s more important to increase the probability of penetrating through the animal, than it is to JUST concern yourself with gettibg the arrow to the animal” they are mutually exclusive but entertwined. Start with the first objective. Through the animal

Holler if you have any questions or PM me here.
[email protected]

·
Registered
19,352 Posts
Thanks OP.
I’m going to try these this year. I like a stoutly build BH.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
A jump of 100-150 grains of insert offers nothing but upside, in a hunting situation
preach! amen brother! ive been saying this for a while!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
It’s something to consider.
A jump of 100-150 grains of insert offers nothing but upside, in a hunting situation. “It’s more important to increase the probability of penetrating through the animal, than it is to JUST concern yourself with gettibg the arrow to the animal” they are mutually exclusive but entertwined. Start with the first objective. Through the animal

Holler if you have any questions or PM me here.
[email protected]
Thanks Troy.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,777 Posts
preach! amen brother! ive been saying this for a while!
But what will that do to my speed!!!!! That's how you kill animals....the fastest bow is the best hands down......All the good hunters have to shoot at least 280 FPS......lol If you can't shoot 280 you might as well use a spear...…..that's what I'm told. :wink:

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
But what will that do to my speed!!!!! That's how you kill animals....the fastest bow is the best hands down......All the good hunters have to shoot at least 280 FPS......lol If you can't shoot 280 you might as well use a spear...…..that's what I'm told. :wink:
dang, you got me! i guess ill have to tell you my secret... i fill the arrow with helium so its lighter, offsets the brass weight ;)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Here is a testimonial sent in by Ty Weaver on his recent African Bowhunt. Congrats TY!
Just a quick note to share the incredible performance of the Black Hornets in Africa!
I took 13 species with them! After the third animal, even my Professional Hunter commented that he has never seen a broadhead perform this type of destruction on game! He even said that he will “require” not recommend them! For 15 years the Stinger has been my favorite, especially for African game…..and then came The Black Hornet in its “compact” & stout design! It is like a full metal jacket with razor wire!....it’s now my ultimate go to broadhead! The toughness is truly impressive, blowing through Wildebeest like a hot knife through butter! All 13 animals were complete pass throughs with massive holes and disgusting but beautiful blood trails!! I was even fortunate to take a Vaal Rhebok that will make top five or better in the record books. (Green Scores as a World Record in the Trophy Game Records of The World)

Thank you !
Ty Weaver

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts