Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My set up is BT SR6.
70lb
29.5 dl
420gn 300 spine arrow.
Currently shoot g5 dead meet and wac em 4 blade

My current heads have great accuracy but I’m always looking for something better. I’m hoping to find a better blood trail but don’t want to give up accuracy

I’m looking at magnus black hornet or stinger.

Is one of those likely to fly better out of my set up. Which one is more accurate.

What are opinions on 2 blade vs 4?

Thanks as always

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
I have used the Stingers and Serazor.
Both are quite effective. I can’t say they one is more accurate than the other or that hey are not as accurate as any other quality BH.
I’d favor the four blade over a two blade. You have plenty of momentum in your set up.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I read someplace that if you swap blades they have to be retuned because they intentionally fit loose?

I don’t understand that. Can anyone comment on this?

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
4 blade ser razors are great flyers!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I think I read someplace that if you swap blades they have to be retuned because they intentionally fit loose?

They don't have to be replaced. Just make sure the new blade is set and spinning straight before you tighten the screw. Magnus has a great warranty but it shouldn't include setting new blades for us. They will, however, replace the head if it gets damaged and their accuracy is as good as any brand.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts

Not true

·
The Ranch Fairy
911 Posts
Both fly Great. Animals HATE them!! That is a good thing. Your arrow spine is fine.
Please make sure you nock tune your arrows. If any broadhead under 1 1/4" doesn't "fly", its 100% tuning. I've had a couple subscribers who've also had a BENT riser (wow) and some timing issues.

Black Hornet Review:

I've reviewed and killed critters with the stinger buzzcut as well. Here are my thoughts on that head and why its great.

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Good luck tuning those.....for me pat 40 yards, they were horrible wind sails. I stayed with hybrids and the accuracy is so much better.

Not as tough as everyone makes them out to be either IMO>

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I am a huge fan of the Magnus snuffer ss .... Fly great and tough as nails .... Muzzy Trocar fly good also just not as tough .... John

·
Registered
23,675 Posts
I've killed a bunch of animals with Magnus heads.....two blade trad heads.....four blade Stingers and Buzz-cuts. They fly well with a tuned bow setup and consistent form. They tend to be tougher than a typical mechanical, but I don't believe they make for easier/heavier blood trails than a good mechanical. If you shoot a deer "perfectly" with any BH, they will bleed internally with some getting to the ground....then go down in short order.....10-15 seconds for sake of argument. A few will flinch and keep on browsing or walking, many will burst out from the impact and then slow down as they weaken.....some will run until the run out of oxygen or blood supply.....going quite a ways in 10-15 seconds. The trick is not just putting on a fatal hit, but also recovering the animal.....which is the combined responsibility of the bowhunter and the BH....again on a good shot. Guys will post pix of the best blood trail they ever had using a specific BH, but not so much when the results are iffy to scarce.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I killed my elk at 50 yards with a 62lb bow this year with stinger 4 blade buzzcut. Arrow passed through. It helped that I made a good shot though. They shot slightly higher than my field points but accuracy was great when I was getting setup for my hunt.

Shot placement is probably more important than what broadhead you're shooting but I doubt you'd be disappointed with the Magnus.

With a little work you could probably get most broadheads to fly well. I like Magnus as Mike will replace anything you break, made in USA, etc.

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
If you can’t get Magnus heads to fly straight, you better start back at zero tuning your bow. I’ve never had one not fly true, under 40 or over 40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
292 Posts
Looks like everyone has basically covered all the PROS of the magnus broadheads so far aside from their lifetime guarantee and awesome customer service. I shot stinger buzzcuts for almost a decade before switching to black hornets two years ago. No complaints on either head and they fly great out of a properly tuned bow.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Been Shooting A Magnus BH, first the Nugent Blade when it was available and made by "Magnus" and once they were discontinued I switched to the Magnus Stinger 2 Blade 125 and the deer I have taken a Shot at, none have gone more than maybe 75 Yards most dropped with 50 yards. And yet to need a "blood trail" But again I never take a shot that is iffy only quartering slight away or broadside otherwise I pass. And that seems to be working for Me... I heard the last gasp and then head in the direct of the deer was headed and I shoot a 2514 Arrow with a "complete pass thru" so far. Guess I have been Lucky! So I say the Magnus Stinger is an Accurate BH! But I do a lot of Practice...
LFM

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
I have shot both a good deal, and killed stuff with both. my choice would be hornets, but both work very well and are very forgiving to shoot. I would personally stick to the 2 blades, I am no longer a fan of split ferrules, but in reality, avoid heavy bone and you'll be fine, but I would be more confident with the 2 blades. a 2 blade hornet is a very tough and effective head.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
I’m thinking about going with a Magnus stinger 125 two blade this-coming fall myself. I shoot a very heavy arrow already and have done well with 125 gr steelheads; but I want the added assurance of penetration if things go bad. After a lot of reading I think I’ll go with the buzzcut version of the stinger though, the talk is they have amazing blood trails with the serrated blades.

And no, I’m not selling my stealheads....lol!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts