Archery Talk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
You really can't go wrong with either. I was shooting expandable broadheads last whitetail season and my brother was shooting black hornets and stingers. After he took a doe with each one and neither made it further than 30-40 yards I decided to test the hornets out at 60 yards against my expandable. To my amazement the hornets where even more accurate than my expandable. Needless to say I'm shooting Black Hornet Ser-Razors now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ok I shoot the serrated versions of both and the main difference I have noticed the Black Hornet Ser Razor leaves a better bloodtrail than I got with the Buzzcuts. The Black Hornets also are a bit more durable and easier for me to sharpen. Both heads put the animals down fast and both fly extremely well I just like the Black Hornets better over all. I have several kills on my Youtube channel with both heads so you can watch them and see what you think..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Both are excellent and I don't think there is even a question on the quality of these broadheads. Both fly excellent I never have to touch my sites to make adjustments. They shoot like a field point. I personally shoot the Black Hornet Ser-Razor it's my go to broadhead.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Depends on your setup and what you want to achieve. I absolutely LOVE both heads and probably have 2 dozen of each at home approximately. Lower poundage archers I have use the stingers because they will get better penetration due to the angle of the blades. I've seen many a pass through at under 35# on southern IOWA deer.

I personally shoot the black hornets because they are heavier built head. I like that I can shoot 70# and absolutely destroy shoulders. I've blown through both shoulder knuckles and didn't even bend a blade.

Either way they are great heads it just depends on what you need out of the head.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Depends on your setup and what you want to achieve. I absolutely LOVE both heads and probably have 2 dozen of each at home approximately. Lower poundage archers I have use the stingers because they will get better penetration due to the angle of the blades. I've seen many a pass through at under 35# on southern IOWA deer.
That's it right there. I've used a 40# recurve with Stingers (177 fps), and I'd be hesitant to use Black Hornets with that setup. The Stingers, however, put deer down perfectly. Based on the angle of the blade, if you're shooting lower draw weight, I'd go with Stingers. If you're using a higher draw weight, I'd go with the Black Hornets.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can't go wrong with either, I prefer the stinger 4 blade due to the gradual blade angle which allows for great penetration on even the largest of animal. They also shoot just like my field tips which will save you some blades while practicing.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
I have been testing the Mangus 125g stinger for accuracy. People say they are accurate but I am not impressed. The stingers consistently hit 3" high and have a 2-3" horizontal spread. As a comparison, my 125 grain Hellrazor 3 blade will hit the X ring at 20 yards consistently right beside a bare shaft. I like the Hellrazor, entirely steel and easy to sharpen on a flat diamond sharpener. I have had good success hunting with the Hellrazor. I have heard good things about the black hornet but I have not tried them.
you need to do some tuning, i am not great at it but have gotten groups as small as 7" at 135 yards with stingers,, several times with different bows,,,

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
I own several dozen Stingers and Hornets. Both great heads. If you can't get them to tune, it's the shooter or the bow and has nothing to do with broad heads. Blood trails seem to be a bit better with Hornets. Both sharpen easy and I haves killed multiple animals with one head.

·
The Ranch Fairy
911 Posts
Howdy everyone. Pigs are excellent ballistic testing material. I built this review on my you tube channel. Love stingers and the black hornets. It's the buzzcut that I really love. A few folks above have mentioned the "minimal" reaction from animals when it zips right though. I've had this happen so many times, it's becoming a fact. Sure helps when they run 40 yards and look around like they don't know what happened, then DOWN!

Take a look and return to AT. I'd like to hear your comments on my review.
https://youtu.be/jls1O7JW_dg

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
I have not use the Black Hornets because I like the 125 2 Blade Stingers, they have worked for me so why Switch! Every Deer I have taken with my bow has gone down in 50 yards the farthest but less on the Rest! As for Accuracy when the Field Point and Broadhead have the same POI and no changing of set up to get one to hit the target tells me my set up and especially arrow are the right choice for me. Each and everyone will not have the Exact Set Up so that being said accuracy will be different it is the way it works having the wrong spined arrow is a factor...

I will Stick with the 125 2 Blade Stinger it does all I have needed for many years now...

And though they have such a great Warranty I would never use it and have yet to, so for the Cost of their Stinger I see no reason to use it they aren't that much $ and if it downs an animal it is worth every penny using warranty or not...
LFM

·
Sultan of Smack
5,640 Posts
I've been a loyal Buzzcut guy for years. It's a head that just flat out works. I did have the Ser-razor on a couple arrows last fall. The Ser-razor flew as well as the Buzzcuts. Although I didn't take an animal with the Hornet, I have no doubt it will do the job as well. Great broadheads with the best customer service in the business.

SCFox

·
Sola Fide
571 Posts
If I shoot fixed blade....i shoot Magnus.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I like both, each shoot very for me. Talking penatration I feel just by looking at then the buzzcut stinger would penatrate better then the hornet with those steep bleeder blades. However I think you'll do more damage with the hornet. Both good heads.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Shoot 100 grain stingers. Never even considered another head until the Hornets came out. Still can't bring myself to change from the Stingers but if I did the Hornets are a head I would try.

·
The Ranch Fairy
911 Posts
I've found the buzzcut in both versions to be a winner because of edge integrity. I shoot a ton of pigs, one of the issues is mud and the shield and fat and those silly bones EATING CHEAP THIN BLADES BEFORE they get to into the cardiothroacic region. This is precisely why people say "pigs are tough". Because your whimpy broadhead blades can't handle 4" of stuff. They are destroyed. I would suspect this happens on some "losses" with whitetail shoulder hits. I know, no one looses any thing. But I've heard some people have over the past 100 years or so.

Any Magnus solves that. The Buzzcut really solves that. I shot them in Africa. The animals hate them.....ha!!

My choice, the hornet 4 blade buzz 125 makes a nasty hole. I've had 2 pigs on quartering away shots blow a foot of guts (cardiothoracic back pressure due to a pneumothorax....uh sorry) a FOOT of intestine, out the hole, like a flag, as they ran away. Wait, they only ran like 35 yards. I don't think draw weight matters. Get your arrows up over 450 grains.

Talked to Mike at ATA 2018. Heck of a nice guy.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Definitely the best broadheads for lower poundage setups. whenever i get a youngster or lady into bow hunting these are the only heads i will let them use.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts