Archery Talk Forum banner

Magnus Bullhead - Another Question

1232 Views 16 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  206Moose
I've ran searches, I've PM'ed the Magnus guy, but I'm still searching for an answer on the Bullheads.

My question is simple. These heads are DIRECTIONAL ... but which is which? Out of the package, brand new as you buy them, are they set up for left hand or right hand helical? I know the blades are directional, and to me, they appear to be set up for left hand helical out of the box. Does anyone know the answer to this?

My arrows are fletched right hand and I don't have a left hand jig. I've shot the Bullheads with the blades positioned as out of the box (what I think to be left hand) and 180 deg. reversed. Reversed they group WAY better, actually awesome. As they are out of the box, the groups suck. So this further makes me think that out of the box they are left hand.

So what is the big deal you ask? The Bullhead quiver inserts are made to accept the heads as set up out of the box. So if I reverse them, again which I thing is right hand ... they don't come close to even fitting the inserts.

So I have a dilemma ... do I buy a left handed jig or do I scrap the quiver inserts and figure out another carry method or do I just switch to a different broadhead all together.

I really want to use these on a bird, but I'm getting bit frustrated with the whole situation.:confused:
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2,732 Posts
I would say shoot them whichever way they fly the best. I reversed my blades because I shoot left wing feathers and like yours, they shoot perfect. They may take a little experimenting, but do what you have to do to get them flying straight...THAT is the #1 priority.

As far as the quiver adapters, you need to trim the flanges off around the edges, put them in boiling water and tweak them to fit your heads. Be carefull not to heat them TOO much....I split one of mine trying to get the broadhead to fit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS22VytXpbo

· Registered
2,847 Posts
But, generally, they shoot best with the blade angle and the fletching angle the same. Ie. both spinning the arrow clockwise. At least that has been my experience.

· Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But, generally, they shoot best with the blade angle and the fletching angle the same. Ie. both spinning the arrow clockwise. At least that has been my experience.
That is what I found. So to match a right helical fletch I had to change the blades from how they were packaged.

I really want to like these heads, I really do.

I'll try the heating up method to change the quiver inserts. I'm not sure how well it will work though as the blades come off totally different in relation to the plastic mold when you've swapped the blades 180 degrees. Looks like I have a project for tomorrow.

· Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the bullheads out of the package should be set to right, but unfortuately our assembly people sometimes dont do them all the same but they are very easy to change and we made them that way so they could be set to anyones setup. thanks
I agree they are easy to change. But I'm not sure how they could assemble them backwards and package them, as the blister pack is set up to match the specific side that the blades come off the feral.

Regardless, I do appreciate your help Mike. I just wish it were more clear on the packaging as to what helical that they are set for when you buy them and that the plastic quiver inserts weren't so direction specific.

· Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice video Mike.

Here is a quick sketch that I just did that shows how the heads are packaged vs. how they fly well for me. Tonight, I'm going to heat up the hood covers and see if I can make them match the blade change.

I really like these heads. I was just all confused when I got them as to which helical that they are set up for out of the package. However, I've figured out how they fly great for me using 5" feathers and a right helical. Here is what I have done. Curious on your thoughts Mike, if this is indeed the correct set up. These sketches are looking at the heads from the threaded side that goes into the insert.

· Registered
2,259 Posts
The angle of right helical fletching in regards to the centerline of the shaft is from left to the right looking at the fletching from the rear as it progresses forward. The angle of the Bullhead blades out of the pack is the same from the left to the right looking at it from the rear as it progresses forward. The blades on the Bullhead is set for right helical out of the pack. thanks

· Registered
3,016 Posts
I've ran searches, I've PM'ed the Magnus guy, but I'm still searching for an answer on the Bullheads.

My question is simple. These heads are DIRECTIONAL ... but which is which? Out of the package, brand new as you buy them, are they set up for left hand or right hand helical? I know the blades are directional, and to me, they appear to be set up for left hand helical out of the box. Does anyone know the answer to this?

My arrows are fletched right hand and I don't have a left hand jig. I've shot the Bullheads with the blades positioned as out of the box (what I think to be left hand) and 180 deg. reversed. Reversed they group WAY better, actually awesome. As they are out of the box, the groups suck. So this further makes me think that out of the box they are left hand.

So what is the big deal you ask? The Bullhead quiver inserts are made to accept the heads as set up out of the box. So if I reverse them, again which I thing is right hand ... they don't come close to even fitting the inserts.

So I have a dilemma ... do I buy a left handed jig or do I scrap the quiver inserts and figure out another carry method or do I just switch to a different broadhead all together.
I really want to use these on a bird, but I'm getting bit frustrated with the whole situation.:confused:
That right there is the key if they are not going to take care of you let alon produce somthing most people are not set up for then I would look some whare else.

· Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I fletch my own arrows with a Blitz jig and have a right hand jig. Been fletching them for years. All I know is that the Bullheads fly awesome set up as shown on the right side of my diagram, opposite of out of the package shown on the left. No big deal I guess. I'll be trying them out as they fly best for me. The hood covers on the otherhand, CAN NOT be switched for the direction shown on the right by using hot water. I trimmed the flanges off to make it easier, didn't work. I then BOILED the water ... didn't work. I then took out a lighter and hit them with flame real quick, it worked. Not pretty, but it works good enough I suppose.

I'm hoping to try them out on a long beard in a couple weeks when the Illinois season opens.:darkbeer:

· Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mike, you don't have to apologize. I've probably made this more difficult than it has to be. The quiver adapters will work as I've modified them. At $8 it isn't like they are going to break me. They work good enough and like I said, with the heads flipped as I've shown, they fly awesome for me. The set up should work just fine.

I'm not knocking the product. It just is a little frustrating if you want to flip directions is all. It is all good man and I appreciate your commitment to trying to provide info on the product. Hopefully I'll be posting up a picture of a long beard with no head very soon.:darkbeer:

· Registered
3,122 Posts
Nice video Mike.

Here is a quick sketch that I just did that shows how the heads are packaged vs. how they fly well for me. Tonight, I'm going to heat up the hood covers and see if I can make them match the blade change.

I really like these heads. I was just all confused when I got them as to which helical that they are set up for out of the package. However, I've figured out how they fly great for me using 5" feathers and a right helical. Here is what I have done. Curious on your thoughts Mike, if this is indeed the correct set up. These sketches are looking at the heads from the threaded side that goes into the insert.

I keep looking at the drawings and I can't figure out how one could be considered left or right helical. To me it looks like either way would work. Obviously if one way works better than the other then that is the way to go. Are you using 3 or 4 feathers? It might not even make a difference. I'm getting ready to fletch some arrows and have not decided if I should use 3 or 4.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.