Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I've tried to PM Mike on here to get his ideas on recommendations for Bullhead set-up, but I don't think my PM's are going through? Maybe someone else with experience can help me out in the mean time. Here's my set-up:

Left-handed Reezen 6.5
28" DL
~ 62 lbs.
D-loop with Fletcher's Flathead
29" GoldTip Pro Hunters (5575) measured from end of insert to throat of nock, flectchd with (3) 2" blazer vanes
Trophy Taker FC drop-away rest
I've shot 100 grain Montec CS heads for deer in the past, but I'm looking at 100 grain Slick Trick Magnums down the road.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions for shooting at turkey's noggins?

Thanks,

Eric

·
Registered
451 Posts
Zeus26, Setting up you bow for turkeys is no different than for deer. I shoot the bullheads for turkeys and they are devastating. They are very critical of bow tune though, so if your set-up is out of tune in the slightest, it will really show up with a big head like the bullhead. Magnus sells an arrow just for the bullheads which will help also. Once you start shooting turkeys with your bow, You'll be hooked and not want to use a gun anymore.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Zeus26, Setting up you bow for turkeys is no different than for deer. I shoot the bullheads for turkeys and they are devastating. They are very critical of bow tune though, so if your set-up is out of tune in the slightest, it will really show up with a big head like the bullhead. Magnus sells an arrow just for the bullheads which will help also. Once you start shooting turkeys with your bow, You'll be hooked and not want to use a gun anymore.
I have two different kinds of those arrows listed on feeBay right now.

·
Registered
18,840 Posts
arrow spine and the fletching you are using are your problem. at least a 340 spine and some helical feathers will do the trick.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Mike will respond
He must not be on AT today!
Great guy & great product awesome customer service

PSE EVO 60 lbs.
Blacked out

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike did get back to me. He recommended their 300 Bullhead arrow.

Does everyone that shoots these pretty much stick with their same sized head as deer hunting, i.e. 100 grains vs. 125 grains, or do 100 grain guys go up to 125? If so, what's the advantage of shooting a 125 grain head over the 100?

Thanks,

Eric

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just looked closer. Now I see that the the 125 grain head gives you 4" of cutting surface.

Is the 125 grain the most popular way to go then?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
P.S. I really don't want to have to move my pins to get the Bullheads to hit true. Thus, my hesitation to go up to the 125 grain models, unless others have found that it isn't an issue.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
P.S. I really don't want to have to move my pins to get the Bullheads to hit true. Thus, my hesitation to go up to the 125 grain models, unless others have found that it isn't an issue.

Thanks!
If your bow is Broadhead tuned and you have the correct spined arrow you will not have to move anything!

PSE EVO 60 lbs.
Blacked out

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Cant remember but we have used both these and gobbler guilitines and either one of them or both recommend 5" feathers

·
Registered
615 Posts
Yeah, my 30" deer arrows are either 400 or 350 spine with 100gr Slick Trick Standards, total arrow weight 400 grains for the 400 and 380 for the 350. Shoot them with 2" Blazers out of my DXT at 30" DL/65#. Turkey Arrows are the Bullhead/Victory Vforce 300 cut to Bullhead length (31" IIRC) and tipped with 125 grain Bullheads. My arrows shoot the same as my pins are set at 20 and 30, and the Bullhead arrows hit only slightly lower than the deer arrows at 40 - but I would never attempt a shot at a turkey over 30 yards anyway, so it is a moot point. Make sure to practice with your actual Bullhead setup before taking it turkey hunting in the field - and then practice some more.

Took this jake in 2010 as my first bird with a bow, 18-yard shot with 125gr Bullheads. The proof is in the pudding.

Turtle Grass Reptile Common snapping turtle Tortoise

1 - 13 of 13 Posts