Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snuffers users: how do you re-sharpen your heads? Is is possible with a g5 sharpener? Looks like it would be hard to sharpen all 3 edges as they come together at the point?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
They're not hard at all to sharpen. I use a regular coarse stone at first, sharpen 1 side at a time. Lay the head on the stone, it lays perfectly flat, just do 1 side at a time, I finish mine with a diamond hone or a ceramic. Make sure your stones or hones are wide enough for the head, most are. Dont worry about the point, just sharpen all 3 sides the same, the point will be sharp.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I like using a file on my vpa's. I never got the snuffers as sharp as I do my current broadheads. I always had a bur. Me and another guy noticed that when you shot the broadheads with that burr on it, when it hit the target it was nocked off and were very sharp.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I like using a file on my vpa's. I never got the snuffers as sharp as I do my current broadheads. I always had a bur. Me and another guy noticed that when you shot the broadheads with that burr on it, when it hit the target it was nocked off and were very sharp.
Dont know what burr your talkin' about. I've been shooting Snuffers since 1986, never had a burr on any of mine.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Dont know what burr your talkin' about. I've been shooting Snuffers since 1986, never had a burr on any of mine.
You must be lucky. I know several folk that use them and the have the burr. Like I said, it must not matter too much they put good holes in deer.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
You must be lucky. I know several folk that use them and the have the burr. Like I said, it must not matter too much they put good holes in deer.
Where is this burr located at on the head? And yes, that triangle shaped hole they put in a deer is impressive!

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I know the burr you are talking about ,,I just done mine an hour ago,,I get that and don't worry about it the burr uped edge is sharp and kind of rips and cuts at the same time..works ok on deer for me ...These things make a big nasty holes in deer ...Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I had a very hard time sharpening them until I got a DMT diamond stone. It was on $26, but it is 10x better than a cheap diamond stone from gander or walmart. Don't waste your money on one of those. Do yourself a favor and get a DMT. It's great for knives too!

·
Registered
905 Posts
that burr is a natural result of stone sharpening anything. Knives included If it's driving you nuts use a strap " like the old barbers did" Actually any leather belt would work. This is true especially if you go the hardware store and buy some dremel polishing bars . They are cheap,and you rub the one of your choice into your leather belt. If you want to attain a razor edge,it takes a little practice but it's fun . Take the bad nicks out with a stone,you'll end up with some burrs,then finish buy strapping the blade. For odd shapped blades I will use the smallest visegrip they make to hold the blade.Works great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts