Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tested these Big Ole Mothers @ the 125 gr weight yesterday.

May sound nuts but I had my theory behind the spine and shaft that should be used with these things. If you hit a turkey not square, I would want a strong shaft that is stiff and strong to not kick sideways and snap. Just a personal thought. And the arrow has to be 2-3" longer than normal to hang over the front of the riser to shoot these things. So I figured if stronger is better then go all out if it will tune.

Fletched a 29.5" GT Big Game 100 plus shaft, a stiff Mother and tough, with
4" Feathers. Shot it with a 68# Allegiance that is dialed in with 350 Maximas.

Perfect flight and hit the exact spot as field point at 20 yds. No sailing, no cork screwing, nothing. Just dead eye straight, thump! The guy aims two inches high to compensate for the weight of the arrow and cuts the quarter sized target in half with the lower blade of the Bullhead.

Very cool stuff.

·
74,535 Posts
They look great

Thanks for the insight. I really feel the need to try these.

DB

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
I had it my head that I was gonna pick some of these up. I have a couple older arrows that I thought would be long enough; looking at them with my son drawing my bow, I don't think so. So, I'd need to drop the $40 for the heads, then pickup a couple arrows as well. I'm on the fence now, but it's good to hear that folks are getting good flight.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I've got some 30" CX Maxima hunters with blazers. Do you think that would be ok? Maybe some larger fletching?

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
DEF Larger fletching there is no way a blazer could controld that big of a head
I might try them with my 2" QS's, but I'm going to need at least a 33" arrow so I can clear my hand.

On second thought...perhaps I should just try a different BH.:eek:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fletching

I dont know if the fletching is critical, mine are 4" feathers. It is more important to make sure the shaft is plenty stiff, and overspine if going to error, and for sure the blades are turned the right way to coincide with the fletching twist.

They come out of the package to turn with Right helical. If you shoot left helical or left offset then unscrew the blades and have them coming off the left when looking at the back of the head from the fletched end of the arrow.

They do a job in the air and look forward to whacking somethign with them.

MJ

·
Registered
835 Posts
Thanks for the update. I purchased some 125gr Magnus Bullheads and I'm going to take them to my local proshop today and have some arrows made that will work with them. I am just spending money and have no idea what the hell I am doing :confused:, so this post was very helpful!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts