Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be in Maine on a moose hunt with a friend October 9-14. I know deer season is open, so can anyone tell me the basic rundown on license requirements, rules (broadhead specs, etc) and bag limit? Thanks,

Chuck

·
Registered
24 Posts
It depends on the area in Maine you are hunting. Chances are you'll be in the regular season, if your tag-along on a moose hunt.

1 Deer of either sex may be taken during the regular archery season.

Arrow heads (including expandable broadheads) must be at least 7/8 inch in width.

Applicants for the regular archery license must show proof of having successfully completed an archery hunter education course or of having held an adult archery license in any year after 1979.

Hunter orange clothing is NOT required when hunting with bow and arrow. Anyone who hunts with a firearm or crossbow must wear hunter orange.

·
Registered
2 Posts
expanded

There is also an expanded season/zone with special limitations. You can purchase one antlered expanded tag and multiple antlerless expanded tags that give you the option of hunting in the expanded zones. See Maine's fish and wildlife page (www.maine.gov/ifw/) for a map of the expanded zones. You must first purchase an archery lic. in order to purchase the expanded tags.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both. That info is pretty much what I figured from the FGW website.

BTW- I will be hunting up in the Oxbow area. I understand that small game season will also be open. In that case, I will need an archery license and a small game license, correct?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
carrotcloud said:
It depends on the area in Maine you are hunting. Chances are you'll be in the regular season, if your tag-along on a moose hunt.

1 Deer of either sex may be taken during the regular archery season.

Arrow heads (including expandable broadheads) must be at least 7/8 inch in width.

Applicants for the regular archery license must show proof of having successfully completed an archery hunter education course or of having held an adult archery license in any year after 1979.

Hunter orange clothing is NOT required when hunting with bow and arrow. Anyone who hunts with a firearm or crossbow must wear hunter orange.
So, I can shoot a doe or a buck?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oxbow is not in the expanded archery season. You can kill one of either sex with a bow. However, that is it - no more hunting for deer - you cant get one with a firearm. FMI, check out the website. In addition, the pamphlet guide is user-friendly. I found its a lot easier than most states. GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Oxbow doesn't have a very high deer density. somewhere around 6 deer per square mile. But if you do see a buck chances are it could be huge. Best of luck and enjoy the moose hunt. I shot my moose close to that area. There's alot in the area. Are you guys hunting with a quide?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mainewriter said:
Oxbow doesn't have a very high deer density. somewhere around 6 deer per square mile. But if you do see a buck chances are it could be huge. Best of luck and enjoy the moose hunt. I shot my moose close to that area. There's alot in the area. Are you guys hunting with a quide?
Yes, we will be hunting with John and Gloria from Homestead Lodge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts