Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My release got a bit sticky and started ruining my shot, but my attempt to clean it went sideways.

Firstly I've lost a the smallest weaker spring, and secondly I'm having trouble getting this back together:

I believe I've got the cocking spring in the right place, but I can't get it to close up while its there.

Anyone know this release and able to tell me how to reassemble it?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
That’s not right

Here’s a pic I took a while ago when I disassembled mine for cleaning.

You need to assemble it on the other side of the release body to seat the springs on those cut outs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I have taken apart a few Carter releases to clean them, but not this particular one. They all have pretty similar mechanisms though. I did lose a spring one time myself, it’s really easy to do, so don’t feel bad about that. You can call Carter and order replacement springs. They’re really cheap and I have several Carter releases, so I went ahead and bought a few of each while I was at it so I’d have a couple spares on hand.

Like I said, I haven’t worked with this particular release, but I think where you’re going wrong is you need to assemble everything in the other half of the release body. I believe the top end of the cocking spring will go into one of these two recesses spots I circled in your pic.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

That's very helpful.

Now the only problem is the lost spring it should go in the gap indicated in yellow:

Let me see if I can find a replacement spring in the house - otherwise it's an order with Carter and a fairly long wait.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
They were pretty quick getting parts out to me. I had them in less than a week after placing the order. If I remember right, springs were only $3 apiece or something like that. I think they charged $8 for shipping, so I figured I might as well get several $3 springs so I’d have one the next time I send one flying across the room never to be seen again.

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,122 Posts
This won't help you now but, when I disassemble a release to clean it, I do it in a box to catch springs and other parts that may try to run away.

Reactions: pinwheeled

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
This won't help you now but, when I disassemble a release to clean it, I do it in a box to catch springs and other parts that may try to run away.
I do the same thing. For me, it’s always during the reassembly that one flies out, when I’m trying to get everything to line back up with the other half of the release body. And it’s always the same one the OP lost. Luckily I’ve only failed to find it the one time.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They were pretty quick getting parts out to me. I had them in less than a week after placing the order. If I remember right, springs were only $3 apiece or something like that. I think they charged $8 for shipping, so I figured I might as well get several $3 springs so I’d have one the next time I send one flying across the room never to be seen again.
Unfortunately being 9000 Miles away in Malaysia doesn't help. It Normally adds both cost and time when asking for international shipping.

In any case I think I've got away with it.
The spring I lost was the easiest to replace as it was small and weak.

I pulled a spring out of the battery compartment of an old Oximeter I had laying around (who wants to know their blood oxygen levels anyway), and it's working just as good as new.

We'll see how long it lasts, but it feels like it might hold up.

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,122 Posts
I do the same thing. For me, it’s always during the reassembly that one flies out, when I’m trying to get everything to line back up with the other half of the release body. And it’s always the same one the OP lost. Luckily I’ve only failed to find it the one time.

Yep. I reassemble mine in a box as well. It works most of the time.

·
Beer Whisperer
11,218 Posts
Put it all back together now to guarantee you’ll find the lost spring. Lol!

Too bad you’re that far away. I have a drawer full of Carter springs and I could mail you one.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,762 Posts
When I go to take a release apart I don't :giggle: Playing around with compounds for 21 years and have never taken a release apart.
My oldest thumb release is a TRU Ball Extreme 2005 model and next oldest is a TRU Ball ST360 2006 model (I did use a tiny drop of oil where the hook swivels. TINY as in real tiny. Worst thing you can do is use too much oil....or grease. Lubes can collect dust, dirt, grit and whatever.

I've cleaned some index releases, but never took them apart. I sprayed them with WD40 while working them. Done, I use air nozzle to blow away excess fluid. Satisfied I'll use a tiny drop of oil where I think it's needed. WD40 dries on it's own.

Same with thumb releases. You don't have to take apart to use WD40 on them. Place tube to whatever openings there are and spray liberally. Work the release ever so often. Done, blow out excess. Again, a tiny drop of oil where it might need oil.

Other spray lubes may work. Just blow heck out of the release.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,762 Posts
Omg, I recently lost my st360 and haven’t been able to find a new one. Would you ever consider selling yours?
Not 4 sale. I've been asked at least 50 times. Had it out today and though 15 years old it still works like new.

TRU Ball quit making the ST360.

Got a TRU Ball Absolute 4 finger with instructions. You won't like it, hard cocking, spreads index and middle fingers more I like, but it's 4 sale, like new, $90 TYD.

absolute 360-1-1.jpg

·
Registered
891 Posts
Disassemble in a clear plastic bag to stop any parts from getting away. 9inch freezer bags work well.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Disassemble in a clear plastic bag to stop any parts from getting away. 9inch freezer bags work well.
Yes I did that.

I lost the spring while putting back together.

Resembly is much harder than taking it apart, and doing it in a plastic bag would add to the challenge.

I got a little careless and a little unlucky. It won't put me off opening and cleaning this or other releases in the future.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not 4 sale. I've been asked at least 50 times. Had it out today and though 15 years old it still works like new.

TRU Ball quit making the ST360.

Got a TRU Ball Absolute 4 finger with instructions. You won't like it, hard cocking, spreads index and middle fingers more I like, but it's 4 sale, like new, $90 TYD.

View attachment 7390370
Figured I’d ask! Thank you so much but I’ll come back if I can’t find one if that’s okay?

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
if it is that short spring under the sear lever that you are missing.you could try making one from the spring in a ball point pen. the strength of that spring is not all the important. all it has to be is strong enough to move the sear lever when the hook is closed. it will work temporarily, until you can get springs from Carter. you might also look at the spring that pushes on the flint in a Bic Lighter. they a small diameter and fairly long, so you can make a few springs out of one and get the pressure just right. Carters are by far the best releases on the market, no if's and's or but's. amongst my assortment, i have an old "HoleThing2" that i have no idea how old it is, but still works absolutely perfect and is a joy to shoot with.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts