Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which company comes to mind when you think about winning major tournaments?

I know PSE, Hoyt ,Martin and Mathews have won their share, but has anyone ever won a major archery tournament shooting a Bowtech or a Parker or a Darton? Been looking at all of these lately. Just curious on the spot style stuff, really.

·
Registered
349 Posts
3D tournaments - Mathews, with Hoyt a distant 2nd.

Indoor spots - Hoyt & Martin

Outdoor FITA style - Hoyt & Martin

For a single overall company, I would have to cast a vote for Hoyt. That's because I don't know of a single other company that is as popular in all target formats. No matter what event you go to, you'll find quite a few Hoyts.

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
Martin has won more "real" world championship medals for the USA then any other brand when it comes to compounds including Indoor titles by Wilde, Ethridge, Butts and Wilde. Outdoors Dee Wilde won in 97 with Martin as well. Hoyt has won more world medals (both bows) then any other brand. Hoyt has won every Men's olympic gold medal in the modern age save for 1992 when Flute used a Yamaha Elan. At the current worlds, Hoyt was used by both the Men's champ in compound, the Ladies Champ, and both runnerups. I know that Men's third place recurve medal went to Hoyt shooter Barnes. Cousins won the 99 WC with Hoyt. Zorn has won at least one indoor title, as has Hoyt shooter Ashley Kamuf in compound with Hoyts.

IN the 70's where the USA won every FITA team championship in the men's division, the anchors of that great team, Pace and McKinney usually shot Hoyts. Pace shot them through about 1984 and McKinney most of the time. Baston and Eliason also used them on those teams as well

·
Registered
33,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No Bowtech winners?

Thanks guys, but has anyone ever won a major title of any kind shooting a Bowtech or a Darton? I have been asking around but everybody tells me that Bowtech doesn't have any titles to its' credit. This to me says they still have a ways to go to catch Hoyt, Martin and PSE in the wins column.

·
74,535 Posts
Mathews

Dominates 3d archery.

·
Registered
527 Posts
bowtech titles

i don't kno too much about the bowtech wins but i do kno that my buddy Derek Hird won the YMR 15-17 class at ibo worlds this year with his bowtech pro-40 wheely.... if you were to ask him about bowtech's he would tell you that they are the best bow around...... thats his opinion ...but the fact is he won with it
as for how many other wins bowtech has to it's credit...as i said before i'm not sure.....

hope this helps in your decision

·
Registered
456 Posts
mathews dominates 3d through generous sponsorship. i was in alabama (my first pro am) and everyone i saw was sponsored by mathews in some form. didn't see nearly as many blue shirts. i always wondered how good jeff hopkins could shoot if he was to get a hold of a hoyt!!:D then again everyone knows it's the shooter, not the bow, right?

·
Registered
33,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess they do but....

True, but 3-D is not really a good barometer of equipment because of the yardage estimation variable. From what I've seen Mathews has stacked the deck by paying almost all of the top 3-D guys anyway. No offense, but if you own 9 horses in a ten horse race, odds are you will win. I've owned 3 Mathews bows and frankly I wasn't impressed with the quality. I look to more target oriented rounds like the indoor and outdoor FITA scores, world championships and Vegas as the real test of consistency. Like Zorn or Cousins shooting 1401's FITA, or Reo Wild winning the indoor world championships with Martin, now that's a good barometer of just how good the equipment is. I have been looking at all of the brands, how long they've been around, which ones copy and which ones innovate, which ones win and which ones never win. I was just surprised to find out that nobody has ever won a major with a Bowtech. I was told today that Darton had a guy named Mancini that was top notch but doesn't shoot much anymore in competition.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
You may not have heard of the wins since BowTech doesn't have any Pro's on their Team but they have had some titles won in amatuer classes over the past few years.

As already mentioned Derek Hird won his YMR 15-17 class at the IBO Worlds. Awesome young man...Great shooting Derek!!!

Cara Fernandez literally tore up the YF class this year winning the Indoor Worlds, all 3 legs of the Triple Crown and the Triple Crown Title as well as the Outdoor worlds... Way to go Cara!!!

In FBR class, Anna Sowards won the second and third leg of the IBO Triple Crown and she also won the Triple Crown Title....Class act lady... Great shooting Anna...

Lea Steward won several shoots in the ASA and she also won the shooter of the year title for the Youth Girls class. Great job young lady!!!

Karen Lassiter also won her share of ASA tournaments in the Womens Open class... Always a contender, good shooting Karen....

Brian Smith won the HC title and he also won it all in "The Best of The Best" shoot back in 2001 at the IBO Worlds beating out some top named Pro's... http://www.bowtecharchery.com/whats_new/aug_29_01.html

These are only a few of the wins I can think of even though I know there's more and I'm sorry if I missed ya...

All in all, BowTech's amatuer Team has had several major wins, you just don't hear much about them because they don't use it in their advertising...

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
BowTec_Shooter, Why doesn't bowtec have any pro shooters? And why would they not sponser someone who had to move into the pro class that was previously sponsered as a amature in the semi-pro class?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
One must remember---it's not the bow, it's the shooter. Most bows are capable of winning. If they weren't, then we would not have so much diversity in the win columns. Mathews and Hoyt have bought-up alot of Pros to promote their products, and thus you see them more in the winners circle. Martin has their share of great shooters also. BUT, if you take a top handful of Pros from each of those companies, and put a Merlin, Bowtech, Barnsdale, whatever into their hands, guess what? They'd still win. Another thing to look at is how would that same bow fit in YOUR hands? Pros have impeccable form, and can shoot even the most unforgiving bow quite well. The average Joe cannot do that, so some bows the pros shoot will not shoot for beans for them.

That's why I don't put too much clout into a bow simply because "so and so" is shooting it. Whoopie, most are getting paid to shoot them. If they were not, would they still be shooting that particular bow? Hehe, ask them, if you happen to know them and they know they can confide in you, you may be surprised at the answers you receive.

Judge and choose bows based upon their quality, forgiveness, accuracy in YOUR hands, attention to detail, delivery times, warranty, and customer service. These are far better measures than simply "what is so-and-so shooting and winning with", because really, they are going to win no matter what they shoot. JMHO. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12

·
Urban Archery
3,814 Posts
Bowtech was used to win the 2002 3DAAA Nationals in MBO division here in Australia, I think one was also used in the fingers division as well.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
n2bows said:
BowTec_Shooter, Why doesn't bowtec have any pro shooters? And why would they not sponser someone who had to move into the pro class that was previously sponsered as a amature in the semi-pro class?
I guess I shouldn't have said they have NO Pro shooters...

I know Chuck Cooley, Don Fromm and Larry Durham all shoot Pro classes and Jerry Wooden shoots Semi Pro...

FWIW, They also have a Team Rascal which is composed of young kids shooting the Rascal bows....

And they also have a team of disabled archers...

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
BowTec_Shooter, I know a archer who shot mens semi-pro in 2002. He won enough money that he had to move into mens pro class in 2003. Bowtec wouldn't continue to sponser him untill they found out that ASA was going to pay his entry fees. Why wouldn't bowtec want to continue to sponser an archer that won their way into the pro class? Doesn't make good buisness sense to me.

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
PINWHEEL: excellent points. The Caudles and Jeff Hopkins won a bunch of major shoots when they were shooting for Bear/Jennings. Ulmer won using=among others-PSE, High Country and Browning. Tom Crowe won a bunch of stuff with PSE too.

I wonder how many people actually buy bows based on what some sponsored (ie BOUGHT) pro shoots. 95% of the people who buy compound bows are hunters pure and simple. I doubt most of those people even know who Dave Cousins or Eric Griggs or Mary Zorn are. Chuck Adams and Fred Bear, probably but not Reo Wilde or even GRIV:p. High level tournament shooters are going to buy what's best for them, or what their shop gives them.

In other words, I wonder if such advertising is cost effective. Don't get me wrong, there are other good reasons to sponsor pros.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Jim C,

I think that you would find it a big number of bowhunters by because of the shooters. I think that shoot wins was and still is what makes up Mathews adds and sales. The thing to look at is the people who buy a car because Jeff Gordan, Tony Stewart or any of these guys drive them in NASCAR. They will not be driving them in the Daytona 500 but are influanced by that. I know that these car companys pay out a ton of money because of this. That is why archery companys pay top shooters to.

Reo Wilde

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
Good point Reo but I think the guy who comes into my shop will say he saw the mathews ad or the Martin ad and they might remember that one company has won alot of stuff but not the actual shooter but I see your point. Of course more guys ask about the "babe in the Martin picture then some guy named REO:D (sorry but its true!)

I do know that more and more guys ask me about some of the "tests" that have been on various websites or the recent Outdoor Life that the Mathews LX won (for some strange reason, Martin didn't get included:rolleyes:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts