Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally decided to make a bow sling.

Do I make a sling with 2 clips or 1 clip. What is pros and cons of each and what type of clip do I use and where is it attached to. Is it possible to attached it permanently to the bow like a rifle sling or will it get in the way when shooting

Advice appreciated

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
This is an old Carlton sling that I've been using for quite a while and works great. It originally had an extra strap with a cam buckle to attach the female buckle to the limb, but with the current parallel limb designs it works better with it attached to the riser.
A loop with a tail is sewn to the female end and then I zip tied it to the riser. The tail just prevents the buckle from slapping the riser.
I plan on making a few more for my other bows, the materials needed are 1" nylon webbing, 2 buckles and a tri glide.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I assume you remove the sling before shooting (for fear it will be in the way of the arrow, sight or draw cycle?)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I assume you remove the sling before shooting (for fear it will be in the way of the arrow, sight or draw cycle?)
Yes, I'm a treestand hunter and usually unsnap it and leave it at the base of the tree.
I put a sling on my wife's bow and she shot it attached once. It caught her arrow and snapped it in half, scared the crap out of her.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Deerbum, maybe other hunters dont use a sling for W&S seeing only us communicate. Some guys in or club make a single hook at the end of the strap that gets hooked through the D loop of the string. I personally dont like it as there is tension and friction on the D loop and string. What your opinion on hanging the bow like this?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Either way is fine I'm sure. I like the bow slung to my back, but when back packing in the tree stand and sticks I'll sling it in front. They are pretty inexpensive to make, try them both

1 - 12 of 12 Posts