Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am making the plans to make a PVC crossbow. I plan on using 3/4in PVC tubing and putting fiberglass driveway markers inside of it.
What do you recommend be the min bow length. also do you think that PVC and fiberglass will hold up.
any other suggestions are greatly welcomed.

Thank you in advance,
superking75

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I think you are fixing to hurt yourself...Nonetheless, good luck...

·
Registered
166 Posts
DO NOT use Fiberglass Marker Rods... You will never get it cocked.. I built a DIY Crossbow when I found out the I lost 45% use of my right arm to prove to myself that I could do it.. I used a 1" Scheduled 40 PVC for my riser. I made my trigger and string release out of aluminum.. I believe we cronied it at 150 fps with 20" 400gr arrows. Used black Paracord for the string... Cant hunt with it but its fun for the kids to target shoot with.. Here is what it looks like..... Took about a week and a half to do....

DIY XBOW 1.jpg

DIY XBOW 2.jpg

·
Crossbow Nut
665 Posts
A couple of years ago, I was toying with the idea of making a crossbow out of junk laying around, and I actually did some work with driveway rods cut to about 27". One configuration was a round prod made of 7 rods, and another configuration was 4 rods inside a flattened pvc water pipe. The "rod prod" [7 rods] was strung at a 6" brace and when drawn an additional 8", pulled around 233 pounds. Lowering the brace to 4" would have given it a 10" power stroke and would have been more efficient. In one of the pix, yep, that's a steel cable used for a "bionic bowstring". I put the project on the back burner because of all the other projects, but I think it can be done and one of these days....... My driveway is over 700' long back here in the boons, and I'm not that great at plowing, so I always had lots of extra rods to work with LOL

7 rod prod 27 in..JPG RP strung.JPG flat 4.JPG rod prod test setup.JPG 233 lb.JPG

·
Registered
166 Posts
There is a guy on youtube called backyardbowyer... Look up his videos. He makes crossbows and longbows strictly out of PVC pipe and does really good step by step tutorials on how to make these...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts