Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Making a Hand bolt or thumb screw...
Every once in a while I bump into something I've made in my shop and it dawns on me that perhaps I should share that with everyone. Well here is something I've been doing for years. When I need to attach something that I would like to be removable I prefer to have that connection tooless. So I simply create a bolt with a built in lever so I seldom have to chase down a wrench. The smallest one I ever made was one that replaced a broken nob on a check-it sight.

I've included 2 ways I've done it.
1) (Larger one) if you have a bolt where the head fits snugly into some aluminum U-channel you simply drill a hole in the channel and slide the bolt in. Next add a nut on it to hold the bolt in place and the channel holds the head of the bolt as you tighten it down. Works like a champ. You can see where I have used this one on my disk sander to be able to adjust the angle of the shelf.

2) (Smaller one) If the bolt you need doesn't fit into the U-Channel like this socket head pictured then grind both sides of the bolt head until it slides into the U channel. If it fits tight enough you can dispense with the nut or add one to secure the bolt in place. Again the U-channel holds the bolt as you tighten it and you don't need a tool to remove it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Good stuff!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Wow Bow Bender this is exactly what I am looking for!!! Thanks everyone. I checked out HD and their selection was limited. I'll try ace and the other website mentioned. Thanks everyone!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts