Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am moving back home and wanting to make a target so I can shoot more often. Thinking about making something like you see at most clubs and something like in the picture I attached. Also, probably going to buy a 3d target if I can force myself to part with some money.

Any Ideas on on materials, where to get materials,how to go about making it? Any info really...
Also, open to ideas on other suggestions of targets.

Thanks

Attachments

·
X's R Us
3,458 Posts
Ask your walmart, Walgreens, Kmart, target etc.... If they got any cardboard in the back. Go around stores see if they got any cardboard. They usually got em in a baler or somewhere. They shouldn't mind giving you any.

·
Caution! Sardonicism!
18,945 Posts
That stuff in the pic is an underlayment used for backing under stucco (under the chicken-wire), one of the brand names is "sheath-kote" I believe. It comes in 4'x8' sheets, typically 1/2" thick, but I have seen it in 3/4". It is sort of a finely-ground wood/corrugated recycled product with pitch or or tar or some heavy oil coating that acts as the binding agent (that will fade to a sort of grayish-brown as it is rained-on and sunbleached). It is similar in appearance to MDF board, but not nearly as dense (you can cut this with a good sturdy box-knife, but a saw would help speed-up matters. Look at Lowe's or Home Depot, or your fav-o local lumber-yard.

My local Range (operated by MO Dept. of Conservation) uses the stuff cut into 4'x1' rectangles, then stacked with the edges making an even face, so the final result is a 4'x4'x12" target, with either animal-outlines stenciled on it, or (9) - 2" red-circle grid painted on the face. To keep it "together", they built top and bottom frames (some steel, some wooden), that are joined down each side by (4) - 1/2" all-thread rods to apply clamping-pressure to the stack.

I want to make one or two of these myself, but have only managed to find the material in 1/2" thickness, for about ~$10/sheet (which would yield 8 pieces each, or ~4" of the stack). Based on my own guesstimations of the stopping-ability of this material, a "personal" target could be made only 8" thick, which would net you 12-pieces (6" of the stack), and cut ~1/3 off the cost of a 4'x4' target (if you already had the frame material and all-thread - which I do).

I need to talk with whomever is in charge of maintaining this range, and find where they are getting the thicker material, and see if it might be more cost-effective using 3/4".

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
In nz our bails are a large wool sack stuffed with the nappy material thats on the sides of a nappy not the absorbant part this stuff is great it doesnt shoot out you just replace the wool bale bag by slipping it over the old rotten/ripped bag

·
Anti Fanboy
41,835 Posts
I built this target a couple years ago. It has held up extremely well so far. I keep it covered with plastic.

Not for broadheads but it's awesome for field points.

Used house hold carpet cut into strips, two 10' pressure treated 2X6's, and some decking screws.

Skeet.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Pretty cool Skeet,

I love my target skins from thirdhand archery....

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
Search for target in the DIY section. Tons of info there. Bag Corp has 3 heavy duty 37 x 37 bag target covers for $27 or box target faces for less than $10 per pair if I remember right. There's a build thread on it. I just ordered something from them, terrific customer service. The DIY section has many many pictures.

·
Vendor
24,636 Posts
contact thirdhandman (<<his user name) simply buy one or more of his targets fill with old clothes, rags, sheets an you have a great cheap target that'll last a very very long time
http://www.thirdhandarchery.com/home.asp

First post, Welcome to AT.:welcomesign:
Wow! I like that, All the way from australia. here is a pic for ya cobow01 Diy skins complete range.jpg

·
Hunter/Gatherer
13,332 Posts
Here's the frame for the one I'm working on. It's further along then it is in the pics but I haven't taken recent pics. It's 4'x4'. I looked into the thirdhand covers but (as sad as it is) they are too expensive for my budget. So ill be using a black poly material for the face with bright orange rifle target dot stickers.

·
Registered
646 Posts
carpet is easy to replace the benefits of being a flooring installer :D i just make a new one

·
Registered
11,715 Posts
Search for target in the DIY section. Tons of info there. Bag Corp has 3 heavy duty 37 x 37 bag target covers for $27 or box target faces for less than $10 per pair if I remember right. There's a build thread on it. I just ordered something from them, terrific customer service. The DIY section has many many pictures.
agree, i think they were $10 plus freight. I went to lowes and got the leftover shrink wrap for free and filled it with one trip.
for some reason the shadow in the picture looks like it is not full but it is packed so tight i can't close it.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
That stuff in the pic is an underlayment used for backing under stucco (under the chicken-wire), one of the brand names is "sheath-kote" I believe. It comes in 4'x8' sheets, typically 1/2" thick, but I have seen it in 3/4". It is sort of a finely-ground wood/corrugated recycled product with pitch or or tar or some heavy oil coating that acts as the binding agent (that will fade to a sort of grayish-brown as it is rained-on and sunbleached). It is similar in appearance to MDF board, but not nearly as dense (you can cut this with a good sturdy box-knife, but a saw would help speed-up matters. Look at Lowe's or Home Depot, or your fav-o local lumber-yard.

My local Range (operated by MO Dept. of Conservation) uses the stuff cut into 4'x1' rectangles, then stacked with the edges making an even face, so the final result is a 4'x4'x12" target, with either animal-outlines stenciled on it, or (9) - 2" red-circle grid painted on the face. To keep it "together", they built top and bottom frames (some steel, some wooden), that are joined down each side by (4) - 1/2" all-thread rods to apply clamping-pressure to the stack.

I want to make one or two of these myself, but have only managed to find the material in 1/2" thickness, for about ~$10/sheet (which would yield 8 pieces each, or ~4" of the stack). Based on my own guesstimations of the stopping-ability of this material, a "personal" target could be made only 8" thick, which would net you 12-pieces (6" of the stack), and cut ~1/3 off the cost of a 4'x4' target (if you already had the frame material and all-thread - which I do).

I need to talk with whomever is in charge of maintaining this range, and find where they are getting the thicker material, and see if it might be more cost-effective using 3/4".

Good Luck!
Being that you're in Missouri, I'd guess that the stuff people around you use is the archery board from Huebert Fiberboard (Booneville, MO). The stuff they make is much better than the other fiber board materials since it doesn't seem to be quite as dense (pulls much easier) and doesn't leave nearly as much residue on arrows. Even here in central Nebraska many clubs use their material for target butts.

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
agree, i think they were $10 plus freight. I went to lowes and got the leftover shrink wrap for free and filled it with one trip.
for some reason the shadow in the picture looks like it is not full but it is packed so tight i can't close it.
Are you the one that posted the build thread using 2 x 12's and the BagCorp skins? I can't find it or I would have posted the link. I just made one myself and like it WAY better than the plywood build that my previous one was. Very easy to fabricate. Loved the idea of plywood front and back until the stuffing is done. I'll have many dots all over it so it'll last for years. Mine was actually $6 with shipping because I bought a different version from them.

I was going to build a carpet target which to me is the ultimate in long lasting but didn't have the amount of carpet needed. I still might do it at some point. If you hung targets in different places on it or painted 2" dots all over I don't think a person could ever wear it out. You don't have to repack it, nor turn it around and shoot the bulge side and if you're shooting in different spots it would be a long, long time before you had to replace any sections - if ever.

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
Build a frame of 2x4s and wrap it with chicken wire. Then stuff it full of rags, plastic bags, old pillows, couch cushions, etc.

One benefit is that it becomes a home for wayward squirrels which come flying out of the target when you shoot it. You then have a moving target for paractice. A win-win situation.

·
Caution! Sardonicism!
18,945 Posts
Being that you're in Missouri, I'd guess that the stuff people around you use is the archery board from Huebert Fiberboard (Booneville, MO). The stuff they make is much better than the other fiber board materials since it doesn't seem to be quite as dense (pulls much easier) and doesn't leave nearly as much residue on arrows. Even here in central Nebraska many clubs use their material for target butts.
You are most likely correct. I am only recently getting back-into archery after a 25+ year hiatus, and am judging the material off its uncanny resemblance to sheath-kote. Other than thickness (and as you pointed out about the residue from the heavier binder) it is essentially identical material.

I do really like those Third Hand Archery targets, as well. Great concept!

-Scott

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you all for the help...I think I will enjoy AT :thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up
I will post pics of what i make in a few weeks if i think it is worthy lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts