Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
C:\My Documents\My Pictur
23,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

Hey guys going to start this new thread . Making and using a Palm release.
Think you guys might find it quiet interesting.
I have been working on this project for some time now.

Find I get some very consistent straight shots with theses old eyes.. And the arrow grouping showing that to me. Thinking of some one younger. They should excel in there target scores. From shooting a palm release.
This experimental project. Has just been with the use of a hinge release .That I also find now very controllable.

=======
Will later see the performing effects using the palm method on a thumb release.
Do hope you visit the thread with input and a open mind. Lets keep our negativity at home.

============================

Well lets get a little start at making a Palm release.
Later will show pictures of different types of Palm releases along with instruction.

First off the hinge release that we need to use .Needs enough neck base to re-drill and tap a hole. The neck base I refer to is the little hole in the base of the release body. Where you use a allen pack to a just the angle and speed of the 1/2 moon cam. .

At this time I'm using a 1/4 20 threaded hole. For the conveyance of using different type sweet spot attachments. :wink:

Now since the little hole in the base is very small. A small adapter connection to the little hole with a increase to a 1/4 "20 thread. To except the attachments I have been using. One might need to make for smaller base hinge releases.

=========
Now Let me stress this here. You have just a little bigger hole in the base of the hinge release. But in no way dose it hinder one from going back to there old way of ones hinge shooting .If they so desire.
Thanks [ Later with pictures.

·
23,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have my attention.
=================

QUOTE=NoDeerInIowa;1071819161]You have my attention.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your attention and its appreciated. And hope it pays U dividends. :wink:
Now for the other 120 on lookers. Just may B you can join in and add some positive objective input here.

=============

Now to the subject at hand. And the first type method of a Palm release.
That being, making and using a Palm release.

1. I feel this is worth repeating.

**First off the hinge release that we choose to use. Needs enough neck base to re-drill and tap a hole. The neck base I refer to. Is the little hole in the base of the release body. Where you use a allen pack to a just the angle and speed of the 1/2 moon cam. .

2. 1st lets take a hinge release and enter your allen wrench into the little hole. Found at the bottom body of the neck base of the hinge release body.
We are now checking the depth measurement length to the existing inside allen set. Starting at the release base little hole.

Take this depth measurement. And write it down on paper. Now subtract 3/8 inch from your depth measurement finding.
What we are looking for here in this finding. Is the measurement finished length .

N0 1. Is, ][ Do we have enough inside hole length to drill and tap a threaded drilled bolt hole.

N0 2. and this is very important here.
We are now looking to see if this style release and its neck body. Has enough material to allow us to drill and tap a 1/4 1/4-20 female threaded hole, 3/8 inch deep. With out running out of side material. And making the neck to weak.

We now take this 3/8 inch depth hole measurement for are threaded hole. And compare the top of the finished threaded hole .
To the width of the top of the neck at 3/8 inches from the bottom base of he release body. On this designed release body.
To find and locate a finished height treaded hole. Where as the top of the threaded hole. Is going to end up compared to the neck width. With enough out side material left over to maintain the strength of the release neck. .

Picture Example
And later to a explain a 2nd adapter method for very small release necks.
Pictures will be provided to help under stand. Where we are going with this. Enjoy [Later

Attachments

·
23,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello All
Little good news. For the 2nd Palm adapter method to be used.
Just left my lab shop. While there I made a adapter for a Carter older Coby release.
Sure love the 1/2 moon serrated cams Carter uses.

Very nice for minute roll angle adjustments . With a groove click at a time. For the half moon cam roll angle, for a cold or hot cam hinge firing.

============

Found all that was needed with this release body hole . Was just a tap 8/32" threaded hole. There was no drilling. [ Smile
After cutting the head off a 8/32" stainless steel threaded bolt. I was good to go now that the release body base hole was now tapped. For a 8/32 threaded stud.

Put the 8/32 threaded stud into the adapter. Now attached the adapter to the release base threaded female threaded hole.
The release was now ready to receive Palm attachments . Added Palm attachments . And went to my target.
Where I found the 8/32 threaded bolt was very strong . After adapter was tighten down.

Getting a little head of my self here. :wink:
But U see I am getting excited with this find ha ha.
Comment = I believe at this time. The adapter is a better way to go.
Later for a picture . Boy is it ever a eye ketcher. [ Later

·
23,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello
Pic of a release. I consider having a thin neck.
Found that a 8/32" stud gets the job done. With less hole material being removed from the little neck base.
Have I lost any one here. [ Smile.
Join in I don't bite here unless bitten first. :wink:[ Later

Attachments

·
23,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello
Now after one has there release body prepared to receive Palm attachments.
Its now time to consider ones hand size.
Now you want your add on piece to rest on the palm line between the 2 palm pads.
About a 1/2 inch short of the end of that line.

Before attaching the Palm attachments.
Set the 1/2 moon cam of the release normally as your are joust to shooting that style release.
Little adjustments can be made later as you find your way with this this new way of making a smoother shot.

Now attach your Palm release back pressure extension.
Don't just try one add on here. I have found the old round stabilizer end weights. Are just great to add weight .
And gives weight to the release as one applies shot pressure.

The 2 pictures here the Palm attachment's. Rubber is added to allow a little flex give.
At first I thought this was the only way. Even though its a great way to make the head of that hinge release fire smooth. With less hand movement by squeezing at time of a BT shot

A solid weight Palm attachment will also bring on a great consistent shot.

More to come. On making that shot.
And a pic of my Bomb rubber Palm extension.
Its oh so easy. Do bring dry clothes . :wink: [ Smile [ Later

Attachments

·
23,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello
Hey Guys and Gals
I know this release looks very gaudy.

After you start seeing the nice grouping shots.
Your first impression will change. And soon that thought will fade away.

Now here is another picture of a solid adapter hook up Palm release..
It could have had just a tad more of flex.
But again that fades with seeing my performance group shots.

Now to making the shot
1. Draw to anchor with your release hand some what open to anchor. And maintain that hand position at anchor.
3 fingers to draw. Thumb and little finger free floating out.

2.Get on your target center spot .

3.Now start to relax . And still maintaining that hand open position and splitting the jaw bone with your face anchor.

4. when your ready to commit to the shot.

5 . Start slowly letting your little finger come down in and around-------- And your thumb to come in with slow pressure.
These 2 events are performed together at the same time. Sorta like making a relaxed fist. And closing around the Palm
extension sides, and Palm end. This intern will start applying more Palm extension end heal pressure. The hinge head now begins slowly revolving to fire.

If after a few shots. If your hinge break away is to hard or slow. Reset you release cam to be lighter. Cause this is a very smoothed shot event with less right and left arrows.

You can post your release picture here. For suggestions.

Or post a picture of your home made DIY Palm release. [ Later

Attachments

·
23,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello All
This tread has 338 views and one pertisapter.

I'm flabbergasted here.
All I can say here. U-uns are just to quietly polite. :wink:
I do have more to post here.
Think I will just pause now till the thread warms up a little. Thanks for viewing. [ Later

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
So Unk, what does the palm attachment thingy do? Do you think it helps to keep your hand relaxed and positioned the same on each shot? Obviously it doesn't change the function of the release.

·
23,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So Unk, what does the palm attachment thingy do? Do you think it helps to keep your hand relaxed and positioned the same on each shot? Obviously it doesn't change the function of the release.
============Hello Very good question. And thanks for asking.

Yes it helps to keep your hand relaxed and positioned the same on each shot.
And also the hand and wrist now has a lot less rotation movement to make or get the shot off.
In fact I can hardly feel my hand wrist rotate with any movement..

Reason being as the fingers tighten. They now have a Palm back wall.
As before with a open air pocket inside the Palm of ones release hand. And behind the release base bottom.

Letting the release float - rotate or find any position at will of the archers hand movement after drawing to anchor.

At anchor and after my aim is set up. All I do is close my relaxed release hand a little more. At this time I here a light click of my 1/2 moon cam groove.
I now start burning the target center and commit to the shot to take place.
By allowing the thumb pad pressure and 3rd finger down pressure. To minutely rotate the hinge 1/2 moon cam. Intern the hinge head hook is activate.
I have no wrist rotation or float. All I have is some steady squeezing pressure. [ Later

For me.
All I feel at time of the shot in progress, and breaking.
Is pressure on my thumb pad. And down pressure movement in my 3rd finger. Bow hand very relaxed and steady.

Of course on what has been described is on this latest Palm release I made today.
This Palm release extension. I just made is very adjustable for the release hand length and thumb pad down pressure angle. Again thanks [ Later

·
23,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello
Ok guys I'm done looking and trying different attachments. I found a winner with using the old style STS type rubber end piece.
It sure delivers a straight arrow shot. Now I got to find some one to try one. To see if they see what I have been seeing and experiencing with the shot.
If any one lives close to me. Do drop by and lets give them a try. I have more releases set up like this.. :wink: Lunch on me ha ha Later

Attachments

·
23,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unk, if I were closer, I would definitely take you up on that offer.
Hello
Quote = if I were closer, I would definitely take you up on that offer.

That sound like a winner and would be great.

" But first "
? Lunch on me or try the Palm release :wink: ha ha

By the way what hinge are you using now. Later

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Hello
Quote = if I were closer, I would definitely take you up on that offer.

That sound like a winner and would be great.

" But first "
? Lunch on me or try the Palm release :wink: ha ha

By the way what hinge are you using now. Later
Both. And I am using a carter two moons right now.

·
23,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Any way of getting a video of how you use it?

Hello
Great idea.
:set1_thinking: May B, I can find a stand end for that video. Some one that has some clout. :wink:

Keep a eye on this thread. For a picture.
Worked on a ledge hook type today. That has my attention on its performance.
After setting the hook cold.The length of the Palm extension add on. Allowed for minute adjustment for shot execution. With BT.
The hook isn't pretty for sure. Took it off of a old broken hunting release I had.[ Later

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just starting to get back on here. Been poking around a while. Very interesting project. I'm an hour W/SW of Toledo in Defiance.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'm a release junkie. And like DIY projects. This is very cool. I'm still a bit confused as to how to use it, but I'll sure be giving it a try.

·
23,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm a release junkie. And like DIY projects. This is very cool. I'm still a bit confused as to how to use it, but I'll sure be giving it a try.
===============

Hello
Never thought of it that way.
But now you have brought it up.
Guess Iam a release junkie to . :wink:

Now guys before you tare into making a palm release.

You might post a picture of your release here .
So I can see if its worth your time using that release. To change to a Palm release.

I have a thumb Palm release to share a picture of later here. Thanks Later

1 - 20 of 49 Posts