Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just sitting here at work thinking about making strings and cables and I have a question. I don't know if I am overthinking it and missing the point, but anyways, when you are making a buss cable, how do you wrap the string on the jig and how do you serve the loops? Help please!

·
Registered
564 Posts
I think you may be overthinking it. A cable is just a string with no center serving. If you have the string figured out, build a string with no center serving.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My question is how do you lay the material to have the final outcome of the split harness on the idler wheel end? I think I have it figured out though.

·
Registered
564 Posts
It makes sense now. I was having a hard time figuring out how you were confused! I didn't want to be rude though.;)

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BowD, I am perpetually confused and any rudeness would have went straight over my head anyways!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Split Cables...

You basically have two options.

1) Use a separate "floating" yoke like on a Hoyt. These short pieces can be a pain to build on some jigs, but with a little practice it can be done. Or you could get a pre-made one from a Hoyt dealer.

*don't forget to subtract the length of the yoke from the total length before building the cable.

2) Start your cable just like a string. Make your loop and closure servings on one end, then remove half of the strands from the spindle on the other end, and do another loop and closure. Next, remove the finished yoke loop from the spindle, and do it one more time on the loose strands. You can make a 2 or 3 inch serving where you want the yoke to split, or just let the twists in the cable hold it together.

I've made cables both ways and had no problems with either. Personally, I think the split cable looks a little "cleaner" than the floating yoke system, but I wonder if it is as strong. I've never had one break, but a 16 strand cable split once, is 8 strands on each side. Split it again, and you only have 4 strands going around each side of the axle. A floating yoke made of 16 strands has 8 going around each side of the axle (I usually make floating yokes 12 or 14 strands). Then again... a floating yoke creates two stress points where the yoke meets the cable (one on each piece).

Things to think about at full draw..... ;)

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Rhino,
The other advantage that I have found with the split/hard yoke is that you can put more preload on one side of the yoke (more twists) to help negate cam lean.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
In my experience with split limb Hoyt's, it is better to go with a floating yoke. I get bullet holes with em' and I cant get it with a hard yoke. The hard yoke never stopped twisting, it was not served.............Rhino, doesn't the yoke, on a floating yoke, have 16 strands (ultracam) and the cable is twisted around it with 8 on each side, full 16 on both sides of the axle? Even with a hard yoke, you would have 8 on each side of the axle. I have never seen them any ather way. Explain?:confused: How do you split a cable twice? One end hooked to cam, the other hooked to axles, on a hard yoke. Soft yoke, the cables split and are twisted around the full diameter yoke, which hooks to the axles.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Explain? How do you split a cable twice? One end hooked to cam, the other hooked to axles, on a hard yoke. Soft yoke, the cables split and are twisted around the full diameter yoke, which hooks to the axles.
When building my own strings, I use BCY 450, so my strings (especially on my target bow) are usually less than 16 strands.

But lets just say you have a split cable made of 16 strands. One end is hooked to the cam. The other end splits to make the yoke. Half of 16 make 8 strands on each side of yoke. Those 8 strands have to split again to make the loop that goes around the axle. Leaving you with only 4 strands, plus serving material, that go around each end of the axle.

Now in my case, 16 strands of 450 is too thick to fit through most cable slides, so I usually make them 12 strands. Which leaves me with 6 on each side of the yoke, and 3 strands plus serving going around each side of the axle. :eek:

Like I said, I've never had one fail on me. Just seems like there should be more beef in that area. :D

Currently, I have a Winners Choice string and cables on my target bow, which has a split cable that is not served at the Y. I have had no problems with it twisting. If yours wants to keep twisting, my guess is that it is not served correctly.

Clear as pea soup right? ;) Some of this string stuff is hard to put into words that can be understood clearly, and everyone has their own idea of what works best. I'm no fortune teller... but I can see a lot of trial and error in your future :) , have fun!

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
Rhino, yer` scaring me dude!;)

I been spinning strings for a ton of years now, but I have yet to see a split yoke with 3 or 4 strands!

If your buss cable is made with 16 strands, you should have 8 on each side of the axle.

Disclaimer: I just reread your last post. Now I understand what you are saying. Each side of the yoke is 8 strands, but only 4 strands are lying in the axle loop.

I used to shoot my old HCA Safari @ 90 pounds with buss cables split like that. And that was using fastflite!

BTW, if you get a chance, try a set of strings with Brownell Ultra Cam. I just gave my last two 1/4 pound spools of 450 to a local taxidermist to use for stitching up hides.:D

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Rhino, Makes pefect sense now.:) The end loops somehow slipped my weary lil' mind!:eek: By the way, the strings that I had trouble with were 452, split with no loop serving, and no yoke serving. Even after over 2000 shots, they still were not consistant, and they would twist the leaches on the cables 1 full turn during the draw. I put 16 strand Ultracam, string/cables (from Berry) and now it shoots great again.:D I don't think the guy who made the 452 set knew what he was doing.:( Thanks for the fog lights.:) I need them sometimes.:p

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
No problem HP...

Making strings is really not that difficult. You just have to pay attention to every detail, and I've built my share of strings that made it right into the garbage can, before I got it right.

I've heard some good things about those Berry strings, sounds like you are happy with them as well.

:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts