Archery Talk Forum banner

Making of string to it length from the given specs...

1038 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Deezlin
Hi Experts..

I am a new compound archer... i owns a hoyt Proelite 07 and i am planning to change the string and make it myself as i previous did make recurves bowstrings. i believe that basic fundamental of making recurve bowstrings is the same as making compound bowstring. I even purchase dvd of little john bowstring making, it is a very good dvd for strings makers..

Here's my question, normally when i make recurve bowstring i will use my old string to suit it length when i make..

hmm.. i saw alot of thread saying that after making the string should be twist 1.5 inch per twist..

So may i know, before i start making the bowstrings, should i increase the length of the string to account for the twist or should i shorten the length of the string to let it stretch and i twist it?

Note that i would pre-stretch the string to 300lbs.. The material of the string i will be using is BCY 452X string, BCY 3D end serving and BCY 62Xs Centering serving..

Thank you very much for your advice..

Wei Liang
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
272 Posts
You probably want to try for one twist per every 1-3/8" to allow for adjustability and still maintain good peep stability. I would try about 0.0125" additional length per twist. Better yet, if you have a similar string made from the same material, twist it up under tension to the desired twist rate to determine exactly how much additional length per twist to add.

~petev

· Registered
480 Posts
A basic starting point for 452 x Material is 1/4'' for every 100''.. Than it has to be tweaked from there depending on the stages of stretching and serving from there....

NJBB

· Registered
15,839 Posts
I have made serveral hundred strings and cables this year. On the Hoyt strings and cables I generally try to use about 1 twist per 1.33" of string or cables. Now this may sound complicated but actually I take the string length and multiply it by .75. Or I usually do this in my head by halfing the string length and then halfing the result and adding them together. I do a pre-twisted tensioning of 300# for 30 minutes, twist with a 150# preload and tension to 300# for another 30 minutes. For cables around 32 to 36" I added 3/8" to the length. For strings around 50" I added about 1/2", for strings around 60", I added 3/4".

After the string has been stretched and twisted. You must let it recover before serving for about 12 hours. You will need to paper clip it. After the 12 hours, measure it under 100# of tension and make any twisting adjustment.

If you are tensioning to 300# while serving the string will stretch again while being served. Since it has already been stretched to 300# it will not permanently elongate, but because of the binding of the serving, it will take about 24 hours to recover to final length.

Recurve strings are a lot easier to make because you are not dealing with peep sights. I have found though experimentation that strings twised less than 1 twist per 1-3/4" do not have sufficient control of the peep sight. While strings twisted to 1 twist per inch will work. That tight of twisting gives too coarse of adjustment for proper tuning on many bows. 1 twist per 1-1/2 to 1-1/4 give you some adjustability. The more the string is twisted the more allowance that has to be made in the lay-up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.