Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I have 25#'s of venison, ready to grind up in a few days. I am going to mix it with 25#'s of pork butt(I guess). Is that about the right or good ratio??
Also, I see all the sausage store bought kits come with "cure". Is it a must to add cure? I ask this because most recipes I find online, mention nothing about cure.
My plan is to make is to buy the casings, and follow a good recipe, Or just buy a sausage kit.
Hope you guys can give me some direction. Thank you in advance!:darkbeer:

·
Registered
14,611 Posts
I always mix a small amount up and cook it to see if I like it:wink: and go from there............

yes 50/50 is good, but I like to use shoulder pork, not as much fat in it and I find it cheaper then butt.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Whether or not you use the cure depends on whether you are smoking the sausage or freezing it. We make breakfast and hot italian sausage each year but it goes into the freezer (except for what we eat as we make it) and we don't use cure.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice guys..
I am planning on smoking the sausages, slicing them in half, then placing them into the freezer, taking them out as need be..
So if I understand correctly, I only need to add cure if I am cooking the sausage, then letting it hang around the fridge for a few weeks???
I am confused about cure..
What do you package the frozen breakfast patties in? thanks again fella's for the tips!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I vacuum pack the breakfast sausage in one pound packages and just make the patties when ready to cook. There are so many different sausage recipes out there you have to go with what works for you. I personally think less is more and just add pork shoulder 60/40 with the venison dominating. Fennel seed, salt, coarse cracked black pepper, and white wine are the only other ingredients I add. I dislike sausage that is overloaded with garlic powder and to many spices. I mix it in 5lb batches which seem a bit easier to handle mixing by hand. Good advice to to cook a bit to taste in advance.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Im no expert, but here goes. From what I understand about cure is.... if you are going to smoke it, or bake it in the oven at a low temp for a long period of time. Because of smoking or low temp cooking give a perfect temp for botulism (sp) to form, and nobody wants to have food poisoning, the cure prevents this. From what i find if you are not going to smoke it you wont need cure. I guess cure also keeps the meat red on the inside after its cooked.

I usually run between a 60/40 and 50/50 venison to pork mixture. I just use the seasonings in the pantry to season mine. No smoke for me, just a little liquid smoke if i want the taste, and stuff into casings. Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts