Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody herd this story or any version of it? My pro said he herd a story from a guy last year. Some guy shot a deer and his carbon arrow broke in the deer and a sliver was in the meat. And when he ate the meat and digested the carbon sliver it apparently lodge its self in his pancreas and gave him a tumer or cancer and killed him. It sounds like bull **** to me,but stranger things have happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,224 Posts
A little far fetched to me. I'm still gonna shoot my carbons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,651 Posts
I cant swallow that one

I cannot swallow that oen!


Pretty far fetched

the meat has to be cut by the butcher
Slivers and wounds and blood shot meat would be cut out


Then the meat has to be cooked


Then the meat has to be cut at the table

NAwwwww some one is yanking your chain

TINK
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
It would not be possible for it to lodge in his pancreas. The pancreas, among other things, makes digestive enzymes that are secreted INTO the GI tract. Nothing that we eat goes directly into the pancreas.
Having said that, it might be possible for a sliver of carbon to lodge somewhere in the lining of the GI tract, and cause an infection or (less likely) an obstruction. If the infection were far advanced before medical care was received, it is possible that one could die. Fish bones have done the same thing, but most often, such things pass right on through.
This is not something that concerns me so much that I am going to stop using carbon arrows. Of course, one needs to actually HARVEST an animal before one can even be worried about eating some carbon. I was one for five last season on shots, so the deer are usually safe when I'm in the woods.:)

J. Tilton, M.D.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,093 Posts
Maybe I am smoking crack or something but I thought that carbon was inert(spelling?).... and it would be digested by the system pretty easily... Okay maybe if the animal was gut shot and Feces got into the meat somehow.. then the dude ate it raw.... :)
WAY TOO MUCH TO THINK ABOUT... Someones chain is getting yanked.

j-dawg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
A sliver (you know?, like a little needle) of carbon could, theoretically, get pushed into the lining of the GI tract (from within the lumen). This would violate a barrier that normally keeps the billions-and-billions of bacteria within our GI tract from the rest of our bodies. Once the bacteria have this new access, they would multiply, creating the "infection." It has nothing to do with the carbon itself or any bacteria from the deer. I would imagine that the carbon compound used to make arrows would not be easily broken down by anything within our GI tract.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea it sounds a liitle faw fetch to me to.How ever African bowhunter not everybody can afford a bucher,I bucher my own meat and a small sliver can be passed by.And Az&fs daddy seeing how youre a doc and all, is carbon poisionus if it gets in our system?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
Carbon in and of itself is not the problem. In fact, next to water, carbon based chemicals are what most of our own tissues are made up of. The carbon structure of arrows is probably very stable, not easily undergoing a chemical reaction with something else (like digestive enzymes). So, I doing think it would be toxic in a chemical sense. Note, I am just speculating, as I don't know the exact chemical make-up of arrows. But, as I was a chemistry major way back in college, I do know a little bit about such things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,651 Posts
Chew your food Slowly

DOC DADDY

If you chewed your food slowly , would you feel the carbon like a fish bone?


I think it a hoax myself


Somebody has too much time on his hands
IMHO
TINK:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
916 Posts
Possible death

If there was a homicide involved I'd be more inclined to look at the wife, loved one or another suspect, not a piece of carbon arrow. If he did in fact swallow some slivers sounds like a job for a proctologist(sp) not a coroner.:eek:
Well OK....
Out for now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,700 Posts
even cooked the texture of the carobn sliver no matter how minute the lenght or width would still of been hard enough to create some problems with being chewed. and the fact that if the meat was chewed properly he would of spit out the piece of meat due to the taste of the carbon. and there isn't i don;t believe any chance of cancer thru carbon if cooked and digested. which it woudl probably create problems in the duodenum when passing into the colon just my thoughts on the subject
rob k
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,164 Posts
IMO it could happen, people ingest fish and chicken bones all the time. My wife is a medical records transcriptionist and I asked her if it sounded plasable. Her reply was, yes it could be true althought most cases do not result in death.

I guess this means Mother was right Chew your Food well....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,526 Posts
any story that starts off I know this guy that knew this guy that heard this from another guy, etc. Is almost always soem kind of urban legend!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
757 Posts
It would not be possible for it to lodge in his pancreas. The pancreas, among other things, makes digestive enzymes that are secreted INTO the GI tract. Nothing that we eat goes directly into the pancreas.
I would like to second this. I am a medical surgical nurse by trade and I assure you that a carbon sliver could not get into the pancreas if you swallowed it. It could perhaps cause some irritation or possibly infection in the small intestine. But even that would be a very low percentage possibility. Odds are it would simply pass through you and be expelled without you ever knowing it. I have also never heard of carbon being a carcinogen.(cancer causing agent). As stated by others already "WE" are carbon based organisms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
852 Posts
Definetly sounds like urban legend to me... That being said, I've taken 18 deer with carbon arrows, and most of the time, the arrow passes through easily, and there's no worries whatsoever... I DID take one quartering away, and just exploded the off front shoulder from the inside, after passing through both lungs... The deer only crawled about 5 feet, and died VERY quickly... Other broken carbon arrows were a result of spine shots, that dropped the deer in it's tracks - then the arrow got broken before the deer expired(same as the quartering away shot)... Anyways, if you're worried about safely eating meat after breaking a carbon arrow off in a deer(not very likely, IMO) - what you do, is cut a wide swath around the wound channel - then you'll have no worries... I usually butcher my own deer, too - and like you, am concerned about my family's safety... Follow those precautions, and you'll be all set...

On a somewhat related note - most often, my arrows go into the ground 8 to 10" after a pass-through, so all I have to do usually, is wash 'em off real good, make sure my broadhead point is still straight, and replace the blades - then THAT arrow is ready to put some more meat in the freezer... I believe that Gold Tip arrows are the toughest all carbon arrow on the market - I have a couple of arrows that have taken several deer... Hope this helps,

- georgestrings
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts
If ther really is a danger from sharp shards of carbon lodgeing in your body from a broken off shaft,the answer is simple...passthroughs.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top