Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So hey guys, this is my first post here, I’m planning on buying my first bow soon and I’m pretty sure I’m going for a Compound bow but this is my first bow and my budget is only 300$ with accessories and arrows included so I looked on some sites and I found the Man Kung CB75B with 75lbs and 270 fps, before you say that 75 lbs is too much, you have to know that I’m almost an adult and 6.2 feet tall (1.86m).
But my actual question is: is the Man Kung CB75B a good choice for beginners or are there any other really cheap bows with better performance?

Thanks for helping me with my problem
-Jarne

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
First off it doesn't matter how big you are you really do not "need" a 75lb bow, sure it's nice to have the extra power but today's bows are plenty efficient at 50lbs. Not sure about the bow you speak of but it sounds like it's made in China? I would stick with better known brands such as Hoyt, Mathews, etc.. I don't understand when guys say they have "x" amount of money to spend- why not save up a little more and get a quality item that will offer a good resale value? It's better to spend the money up front I have found.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Keep your eye open on leftovers. A good bow in thay range would be a pse stinger or a bear. My gf wanted to start shooting bows this year and found her a leftover bear wild complete kit for 350 bucks. Diamond even has some good ones cheap

·
edthearcher
6,463 Posts
made in tiwain no i would not buy it, most people here in the U.S. would not buy it, so honestly doubt if you well get a review, hum but i have been wrong before all tho i have looked at a lot of bows made in china but never have jumped on them, they scare me

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s because I live with my parents and they control my bank accounts.
They don’t want me to spend too much money on stuff they don’t have experiences with, I would like to spend 500 or more $ on a bow but I’m just not allowed to

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Bear Cruzer seems pretty good, does anyone have some professional advice about buying this bow?
It's ok. Much better than the Chinese bow.

For that money you could get an excellent used bow on here but it sounds like your parents might not go for that.

There's a really nice Bowtech Destroyer 350 for sale in the classifieds for $350 but it has no accessories.

You should have your parents accompany you to an archery shop and ask to shoot some beginner bows. Maybe your parents will come around.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
The cruzer would worlds better than the other one you previously mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Look in the classifieds here for a bow package made by a US company, look for bows that are around five years old, you should beable to find a great used full bow setup or find a new ready to hunt package close to your budget.

Get messured for your draw length and find a bow that can be adjusted for length without a bow press and has atleast a 1 1/2 adjustment both shorter and longer of your messured draw length that way you have room to play with should you need to adjust the draw length in the future.

Before you drop the cash on a 70# plus draw weight bow I would go to a bow shop and make sure you can draw that much weight and hold it steady for atleast 1 minute, if you cant get a 60# draw weight bow.

Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Bear in my eyes would be a better choice... diamond archery has some good beginner packages too. With a mid-range bow from one of the main manufacturers you will still get replacement parts, warranty, costumer service and local bow shops will be more willing to work on them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the advice but the problem is that there are literally 6 Archery Shops in my country, and all 6 of them are +1h of driving and not even in my language (Belgium: half dutch, half french, I’m dutch), so I think I will have to take an educated guess on what bow I Will eventually buy

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I recently spent a few weeks vacationing in Germany. I only found one archery club that was 2 hours away by car. There were not any bow shops or sporting good shops that sold bows in any of the big cities I stayed in. Maybe I should say, none that I was able to find.
OP, is archery more popular in Belgium? Also, do you have a nearby archery shop you could trial different bows at?
I would assume that the USA made brand bows would be more expensive than any Asian made bow, but there is no doubt in my mind the USA made bows will give you better service over your years of ownership. The bows made in the USA, even the lower end beginner bows, are quality made.
If I am correct, the USA is the leader in archery manufacturers. We have a very large population that lives and breathes all things archery and this results in a great competition between archery brands to stay on top of technology and design improvements.
Skip the Asian made bow. Talk to your parents and save up a couple hundred extra dollars to go with your available $300. Find a professional archery shop or club in your area and talk to them. Try out different brands to compare how they feel to you. Then decide what you want to spend your hard earned savings on.
I hope this helps you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Keep your eye open on leftovers. A good bow in thay range would be a pse stinger or a bear. My gf wanted to start shooting bows this year and found her a leftover bear wild complete kit for 350 bucks. Diamond even has some good ones cheap
A used pse or bear bow wiill give you a much better value for a starter bow plus it would be worth more on a trade or resell than the bow you mentioned

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
720 Posts
Used bows are the way to go. I wouldnt go for a compound bow made outside the US, even if its 100 dollars

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,787 Posts
Je moet echt naar een van die winkels reizen en worden gemeten op tekenlengte en -gewicht. Kijk dan op Euro eBay of andere bronnen voor een kwaliteit gebruikte boog. Je wilt niet dat een gewicht zo hoog is om mee te beginnen, je zult waarschijnlijk een slechte vorm ontwikkelen met zo'n zware draw. Begin met iets lichters voor onze eerste buiging.

Ook kan het kopen van een gebruikte boog uit de Verenigde Staten duurder zijn met douane en BTW.

Veel succes.

[Sorry, it's been 25 years since I've needed Dutch]

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
What are Belgium's import laws for bows?
Look under the classified section. You will be able too choose target, hunting and youth bows.
By the way 75pounds of draw is an awful lot of poundage and to pull back more than once or twice. 50pounds would be all you need for target shooting or hunting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts