Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Night shot a doe, good hit arrow had bright pink frothy blood, good blood trail the same as discribed on arrow. Then the rain came, I wasnt too worried at first cause i figured she didnt go too far, until i started tracking after 40-50yds the blood was washing away fast and there was no body to be seen, after some thought I realized she probably went a little further than expected. My reason for this thinking is she new I was there when i shot, so she already had the flight option in her head. Well now its dark I no longer have a blood trail from the down pour and there is alot of fairly open lanes that she could have fled down. Typically not a problem just takes a little foot work and Id find her. But not where Im hunting, Here on Ft. Knox you have too clear your hunting area at 900pm, I called hunt control and told them the situation there reply was you better be clear by 900 or you will lose you hunting privaliges deer or no deer. To top it off the area is off limits the next day so there is no poss of coming back in the morning. Long story short I had to call off the search and leave a deer in the woods, and its a sickening feeling, I never lost an animal that was mortaly hit and its now taken alot of the drive to go out again.... thanks for reading happy hunting

·
Registered
24,959 Posts
thats terrible. and a dumb rule as well. good luck next time. you had no other option but to leave it and remember nothing goes to waste in the wild. something ate it by now

·
Registered
780 Posts
Sorry to hear that....but don't get too discouraged....its hunting....remember sometimes even with the best attempts things go wrong for whatever reason...some animal is very happy for your loss

·
USN MDV
557 Posts
You are right that it sucks, however that is one of the risks we have to accept if we choose to enjoy the outstanding hunting opportunity the offered on some of the military installations. Although the requirement to clear your area by 9pm may seem a stupid rule to some, we need to remember the Army bases exist to train soldiers and that the hunting is a privilege and is secondary to that purpose. Range control has to be sure that an area is properly cleared of all hunters to allow training in the area to commence.
Additionally as others have stated, nothing goes to waste in the woods.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
BowTechSoldier,
Welcome to Archery Talk! :welcome:

Sorry that one of your early posts has to be about losing an animal. :frusty: It certainly isn't understandable that the people putting on the hunt will NOT allow you or that they won't assist you in finding a wounded animal. It doesn't say much for their concern for wildlife. :hand:

This is the number one reason why I don't hunt in the rain. :fear:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
517 Posts
That's our government for you. They waste BILLIONS of $$$$$$ every year............... so why not waste another of our precious natural resources.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
You had a lot of things going against you that is not your fault, and that few other bow hunters would have to deal with.

You had to be out of the area by a certain time, you can't go back the next day, and the rain washed out what probably would have been a good blood trail.

You feeling bad about it tells me your a guy i would hunt with anytime.

If it weren't for those 3 strikes you were dealt, you would have most likely found your deer, and had a better story to tell us. Don't let it get you down.

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
You are right that it sucks, however that is one of the risks we have to accept if we choose to enjoy the outstanding hunting opportunity the offered on some of the military installations. Although the requirement to clear your area by 9pm may seem a stupid rule to some, we need to remember the Army bases exist to train soldiers and that the hunting is a privilege and is secondary to that purpose. Range control has to be sure that an area is properly cleared of all hunters to allow training in the area to commence.
Additionally as others have stated, nothing goes to waste in the woods.
Very well put. I don't get those that don't understand this. The gov't could just close them to all hunting and do their own game control with sniper training.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
What a coincidence...

I was hunting last night in kentucky, about an hour south west of you. In mammoth cave.

A good buddy shot a doe that evening, got it on video, deer jumped the string, bad. It was more thanlikely , a less than ideal shot but still a killing shot. We decided to let her lay for an hour or so.

Then came the rain....

So we busted ***** down to the spot. Found a very little blood. TLooked for her for over 3 hours than night, found nothing after we ran out of blood. Went back this morning and looked for 2 more hours, still nothing.

Seems like the same rain storm cost more than one deer. Loosing deer sucks, but mother nature never lets them go totally to waste.

And the deal with Ft. Knox, I have hunted there myself. They are pretty stiff on their rules,

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
Do they (Ft. Knox) still make you put your name and soc. sec.# on your arrow? I thought that was dumb.

·
Banned
6,593 Posts
Do they (Ft. Knox) still make you put your name and soc. sec.# on your arrow? I thought that was dumb.
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i wouldnt put my rean name and SSN# on my arrow!!

thats absolutely freaking stupid!!

·
JB WELD PRO STAFFER
13,079 Posts
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i wouldnt put my rean name and SSN# on my arrow!!

thats absolutely freaking stupid!!
That's hunting with the Military. They have some crap rules at times and you have to follow them or they ban you from hunting or worse! Only advice is try and make friends with the people in charge and work the buddy system

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
thats terrible. and a dumb rule as well. good luck next time. you had no other option but to leave it and remember nothing goes to waste in the wild. something ate it by now
Totally agree, not like you didn't try, or made a slob shot.

Worst part, you'll probably find her about two steps farther up the trail.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Dumb rule.....do all you can do, learn from it and then next time you do all you can do....it happens... The animal will not go to waste it will be utilzed by nature ...i.e. shoot a coyote or a kentucky state bird next time you get a chance....get 'em next time...PS thanks for all you do

·
Registered
24,160 Posts
You were significantly handicapped by the rules of the military base, so you did what you could. If you have limited time to hunt and it looks like rain, you have a decision to make. I killed my biggest buck to date on a foggy morning that turned to light rain right at dawn. I was seriously thinking of getting down and out of the woods due to the chance of a blood trailing situation............when he abruptly showed up. I made a great shot with my recurve bow and had the pass through arrow sticking in the dirt as my witness.

Blood trailing was challenging 45 minutes later, but we had run of the property and no rules to hinder our efforts. We found him in a dense thicket by grid searching in about 15 minutes. I bet your doe is down and feeding the forest critters as we speak..................:sad:

aah

·
Registered
420 Posts
I hunt ft. campbell and was fined 2 yrs ago for checking a deer in after 9pm,although I didnt loose my privliges I did get a fine which seems crazy to me,I shot the deer around 630pm and hit him a little far back,there was no way I was leaving him back there so I had 2 options just drive off post and not check him in,which alot of people do!! or check him in late and hope they applaud me for my ethics,NOPE I get a ticket!!!!should have just drove him home!!

·
USN MDV
557 Posts
One again I feel for you. I experienced the same scenario a few years back on a nice 8 pt. I was literally sick to my stomach and felt like just hanging up the bow. Fortunately I got back on the horse. However I must reply to the comments regarding the rules for the bases. Those rules are established to allow for hunting activities at the same time, not interfering with training. Some of the folks who work the game check station do not even hunt so expecting them to go help look for your deer is likely not happening. Additionally, the rules require the game check to report to the post security if all hunters have not cleared the area by the time specified. Also need to remember training may be starting in that area at midnight and it is imperative the area be cleared. Hunting the base is a privilege not a right so quit complaining about the rules. No one is forced to hunt the bases.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No SSN# on arrows anymore, and I do understand the pricipale of why game control is the way it is. but they also can authorize you to be out til midnight. Im not gonna bust on them cause the hunting here is some of the best around, because of there tough rules and strict management. but bottom line is I was un able to recover an animal that I killed, there was alot of variables working against me that night. Its unfortunate but its life! thanks for the words of encouragement!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts