Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys,
I bought my first pack of G5 Strikers yesterday, and I've now shot TWO shooting sessions with them.
I must say, I'm IMPRESSED! Looks like I've found a new head!!!!
First off, I would like to ask if ANYONE knows what kind of steel these heads are made of? (Looking for specific allow or type).
I ask, because these heads are SCARY sharp out of the pack, and they KEEP THEIR EDGE! Some of the BEST edge retention I've EVER seen in a head.
I shot last night for 30 minutes, and this morning for another 30 minutes, and probably totaled 20 shots on the head so far.
The G5 Striker I have been shooting, STILL SHAVES HAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!
I couldn't believe it! FINALLY, some DECENT STEEL! I would LOVE to find out the Striker is made of steel that is AS GOOD as Duggaboy's Silverflames, but I doubt that is the case. You never know though.
I'm putting in a question to G5, to see if I can find out what steel they are using. Honestly guys, this head is sharper after 20 shots in foam, than MOST broadheads I've owned FRESH out of the pack.

Secondly, the head flies DEAD ON with my FP's. I'm drilling inside a 4" circle at 40 yards. That is MORE than I can say for many heads.

Finally, I would like to encourage EVERYONE who is shooting a G5 Striker, to shoot an email to G5, through their website, and let them KNOW how good of a head they've made!
I was on the phone with Debbie from G5 customer service yesterday, and we were talking about the first few batches of Strikers, that had loose blades. She said the online archery forums have been "tough" on them lately, and they were taking a lot of bad mouthing, regarding the loose blades in their first few batches of Strikers.
Debbie seemed to be a little nervous due to this, and was worried the head would not be accepted well.
I made SURE to explain to her, that most of us archers realize the problem is now solved, and we all are beginning to realize what a great head this is. The bottom line is that I don't think G5 has seen any positive threads on this head, ... YET!
I just had to tell her that we have found this head to amazing, in every way, and she immediately got super excited, and was happy I told her about this. She kept saying how glad she was to hear the good news.
SO, I would like to try and get anyone who loves this head, to take a minute to email G5 through their website, and let them know how great the Striker is.
G5 checks their email regularly, unlike many companies out there.
Anyhow, I just wanted to let everyone know my experience with this head.

The ONLY thing I might change, if I had my druthers, is the 3 blade design. IF this was a 4 blade, I think it would be the ULTIMATE head of a lifetime. However, I certainly don't think the 3 blade design is in ANY way a bad thing. In fact, truth be known, I'm betting this head takes down a deer, just as quickly as my Slick Tricks always have.
I will be hunting with them this year, to confirm...

BTW,
IF ANYONE knows the cheapest place to buy Strikers online, please let me know, as I haven't found the best place yet...

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
We shoot a lot of broadheads .......... A LOT of broadheads. The nice thing is that there are several very good ones available right now.

But I have to say that the G5 Striker is as good as any we've ever shot. The construction, blade sharpness and flight is truly amazing. If there was ever a broadhead worth $10 each ..... this just might be it.

I shot the same Striker into a Morrell Yellow Jacket target 34-35 times and the thing was still shaving sharp. I'm not sure how they accomplish this, I am assuming it has to do with the type of steel used and the hardness.

Further ..... for the experimentation's sake I removed the blades and hit them a few strokes with an Accusharp. After 6-7 light strokes they were restored to very nearly their original sharpness. This is mighty handy too.

All in all ....... this is certainly one of the best (perhaps THE best) broadhead I have ever laid my hands on.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I bought the G5 Strikers this week too. Unbelievably sharp and accurate. Shot several times into foam target and would not think twice about shooting a deer swith the same head.

Can't wait to whack a deer with it.

Also, heard through a source that a member from G5 went to Africa and shot 7 animals with the same head. What does that tell you..:thumb:

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I used to shoot the Montecs and loved em.But I can honestly say, the Striker is the best broadhead I have ever shot.I agree with the edge, mine just wont dull.I have one head with over 100 shots into a Humungo target,and it still shaves.This is the best head going in my opinion.Some say its similar to the wac'em head, but once you see the fit and finish and the difference in the sharpness, you will see it isn't anywhere similar.If your on the fence about which head to shoot, give them a try,they will make up your mind for you.

·
Super Moderator
22,689 Posts
I bought my Strikers over a week ago from Lancaster Archery Supply. Unfortunately, you're not allowed to shoot broadheads there due to an incident last year... So, I had to wait till this past Thursday to finally shoot them. Upon shooting field point then broadhead at 3 different areas on the target, each Striker made contact with the fletching on my field tipped arrows. After shooting for about 30 minutes, I proceeded to do the good ole' hair test and sure enough, those blades were still as sharp as ever. I've shot my fair share of broadheads and these heads will definately by at the end of my GT 5575's this year. Thumbs up to G5! :thumbs_up

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the Striker is similar to the Wac Em head, but in all honesty, I think it MIGHT be the same exact head, that Bass Pro is selling under their name, in their catalog. I THINK it is a "Redhead" broadhead, as they call it.
Regardless, the picture in the Bass Pro Book, looks EXACTLY like the G5 Striker, and I'm wondering if they are indeed the same head, and Bass Pro might be buying them from G5?? Can anyone confirm this???

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
the blackout and striker are the same thing... g5 gets paid to manufacture the broadhead for them, along with some royalties I'm sure, and then Redhead sells them under their name.

·
Registered
36,021 Posts
DuckTech14 said:
the blackout and striker are the same thing... g5 gets paid to manufacture the broadhead for them, along with some royalties I'm sure, and then Redhead sells them under their name.
Blackouts only have a 1 1/16 CD
Strikers have a 1 1/8 CD

Both very good heads and both made by G5

I am finally satisfied with a broadhead. I just wish they would supply a BH wrench because you dont dare try to put them on with your fingers:wink:

·
Lowered expectations
16,578 Posts
Blackouts and Strikers are the same broadhead, made by G5. The only difference is the color.

The difference in cutting diameter in the Bass Pro catalog is a typo.

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
Blackouts and Strikers are the same broadhead, made by G5. The only difference is the color.
They are definatly NOT the same broadhead. The Striker has a ferrule that is scalloped all the way back to the arrow insert. Also the cut-out area of the blades is a different shape.

·
Registered
146 Posts
at least 30 shots into a Rhinehart target, and still pops hair... I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it myself....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts