Archery Talk Forum banner

Mandatory Hunter Safety Programs

668 Views 9 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  celticgladiator
I live in a state that requires completion of a mandatory hunter safety program for people born after the year 1975 (I believe that's the date) before they can purchase a hunting license. When I first heard about this law when it went into effect several years ago it sounded like a pretty good thing, but as my son's got older and this issue "came home to roost" with us, let me first state that my boys will complete the course as I want to do things legally, but I wonder about the kids who come from for example a single parent home, where the mother/father works and the child might go hunting every now and then with an adult family member or neighbor. Will we loose those kids due to the fact they we may have put up a stumbling block in front of them. We need to add to the hunting fraternity. I think that I bear the responsibility for teaching my children and any of their friends that hunt with us how to be safe and responsible hunters,as my uncles and older cousins taught me.Irresponsible/unsafe people will be that way regardless of whether or not they have completed a hunter safety course or not.I'm sure the program is well meant I just wonder about the long term results on the number of future hunters. This is just my thoughts on this subject, would like to get some feedback,I might just gain some wisdom from the sharing of ideas and opinions.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,919 Posts
That kind of program is required here in Mass., and also in Connecticut where I used to live.

I took the basic class in Connecticut and the special Bowhunting class in Massachusetts a few years later. I can't say I really learned anything new . . . but it was a good day and I think it was worthwhile.

It is a pain and a bit of an obstacle -- but I think overall it is a good idea. Yes it might stop the kid whose father never took him up hunting, but unfortunately that is probably a good thing, because it might stop him from hurting himself or someone else.

My only thought is that maybe they should let you skip the course and just take the test -- that way if you really do already know what you are doing, you don't have to spend the whole day in the class; but if you really don't know what you're doing it would make you have to take the class.

· Registered
5,479 Posts
We also have a hunter education program required here in ND.

I think anyone born after 1962 needs the class.

Very important in my eyes.

· Registered
3,486 Posts
i took this course when i started hunting and i believe that it is a good thing, it how to be safe while hunting. i know you want to add to our numbers but i really dont people that are unsafe hunting around me. those same kids that you talk about that there parents are to busy to take them to the class are gonna be to busy to take them hunting as well. so is it ok to just let these kid by a license and just go out into the woods with a high powered rifle with no one to watch them and make sure they are doing is right. yes it is up to the gurdians to show the kids what to do, but this course is a building block for that. if a kid really wants to hunt, then they will take the class and if it is a nieghbors kid, then maybe you could take them to the class. i do not believe this class is hurting the sport in any way. JMO

· Registered
317 Posts
I would tend to think if the Kid had someone to take him hunting they would show enough interest to take him to the class as well. The only thing that has bothered me about the classes, other than the mind numbing boredom was that folks born before say '75 don't have to take it. If the class is teaching safety shouldn't' every hunter be required to take it? What part of me being born prior to '75 makes me a safer hunter exactly?

· Registered
66 Posts
I was required to take this back years ago. When my son was old enough to take it my brother-in-law needed it too. So my son was able to ride with him for the week long class everynight and I took him to do the shooting and test on Sat. I have one more son that is a few years from needing the class, but I plan on being the one to take him and any of his friends that need to take it too.

Not everyone will have the opportunity to take a kid to one of these classes, but if you do, you should. Kids learn way more than we give them credit for, and who knows, they might just bring something home and teach you!

· Registered
1,043 Posts
I took the course and before doing so was already introduced to the outdoors and preached to by my grandfather and uncles the importance of safty and ethics at length and was taught how to use a variety of rifles shotguns and rifles as well as archery equipment. The test itself was not a waste of my time but the entire course as a whole was def a waste of my time so i see where your coming from

· Registered
512 Posts
Michigan hunters safety laws below:

In order to purchase a regular hunting license, all hunters born on or after January 1, 1960, also must present their hunter safety certificate, previous hunting license or sign their license in the presence of the license agent. This also applies to hunters who intend to hunt furbearers under a fur harvester license.
All licenses must be signed to be valid. Your signature certifies that you meet the residency and hunter safety requirements to purchase the license.

FYI...Several states allow you to obtain certification through online training and tests. http://www.hunter-ed.com/

· Registered
299 Posts
required hunter safety

Its required in California too. I first took it when i was twelve and again this year.Went to make sure GF took the class,I think its a good idea if only because a little more reenforcement cant hurt.What i did notice was ,only about half of the parents stuck around and the rest were just dropped off. GF passed the test and I aced it. I had a fun day. The instructors asked what the heck i was doing there.

· Registered
1,544 Posts
as an instructor, i can see the importance of the class. it teaches basic safety, conservation, and good sportamanship to name just a few things. i think the important thing to remember is that the course only goes so far, then it is up to the responsible adult to further the education at home as far as taking what they learned in class and showing them how it applies in the field. if some of these single parents just turned a kid loose with a gun and said go hunt if you want to, imagine how many injuries or deaths would occur. i teach both basic hunter ed and also bowhunter ed. this is why i am so fond of mentor programs, as sportsmen, we should take our kids friends out with them if they don't have someone to take them. we had several parents sit through the last class and even they had some questions or made statements like " i never knew that" so i am a big believer in the classes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.