Plywood 5 points
Steel drum 3 points
Tire 4 points
Cutting diameter 4 points
Accuracy 4 points
Partial non-mechanical head 1 point
Blades 2 points
Total score 23 with a blade sharpness rating of B

The Mar-den swing’R is a unique head to say the least. It is a basic fixed, two blade head. It has a unique pivoting blade system that is held in place by an O-ring. When the head strikes something hard the blades “swing” to one side or the other to allow the head to continue to penetrate. Now I will be the first to admit that I thought this head was a “gimmick”. Why would anyone want to make a head with swinging blades? Well after testing it I would answer that question with “because it works”. This broadhead was designed for women and young archers that shoot low poundage bows and or short draw lengths. It allows them to shoot a fairly large head 1 ½” cutting diameter, and still get good penetration. This is what the manufacture claims, and as much as I hate to admit I was wrong, it does just that.
In the plywood it busted through stopping at the fletching. In the tire the head penetrated the first side fully. Just as with the plywood, it was undamaged. I found the tire test to be pretty impressive, especially considering that this is the first broadhead of this size to completely penetrate the tire. Most 3 blade heads over 1 3/16” and most two blade heads over 1 ¼: stop short. The swing’R sliced through with ease. I had to shoot two more times just to be sure, but in each case it made it though. The steel drum did prove a bit much for this head though. It penetrated the first wall, but then the blades were ripped off the ferule and got hung up in the hole on the back of the first side. The tip and half the body managed to stick in the back wall however.
The bottom line is this head does work. Considering it was made for lower Kinetic energy setups the performance was very good. It penetrated better than any other head of this size that I have tested, the blades are sharp, and the accuracy is good. I do need to make one note here. You will notice that I gave it a score of 1 for being a partial non-mechanical head. This is because while the entire cutting surface is always exposed, the blades do need an O-ring to hold them in place. Since the blades do move I split the difference and gave it a 1 instead of my normal 2 for a no-mechanical head. Seeing as how the score is only a reference point to compare heads to each other I thought this was a fair way to do it.
If you have a young archer or are forced to shoot lower energy setups, and you would still like to shoot a large head, this is one to consider. In fact it is the largest head I know of that penetrates this well. As much as I thought this head would prove to be junk, or at best only slightly acceptable, it turns out that it is a pretty good head. .

·
Registered
204 Posts
Question for you.
Wth the impovements that have happened in the mechanical BH area do you feel giving a BH 2pts just because it is non-mech is bias?

Just something to chew on.

Great Job 5Shot keep em coming!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes 2 points for non-mechanical heads is bias, but I think still a fair system almost every mechanical gets an extra point in the accuracy dept, so that sort of makes up for it. Given that and the fact that anything mechanical can fail, I still think it's a fair trade off. That said, I think mechanical heads have come a long way in very few years and many rival the best fixed blade head for preformance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts